“If anything else, come for the brownies - they are to die for!”
Review of Red Roof Cafe Gallery - CLOSED

Red Roof Cafe Gallery
Price range: US$3 - US$21
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Situated in Glendale on the beautiful Isle of Skye, the award winning Red Roof gives you a true taste of Highland hospitality with fabulous local food platters and baking, contemporary art, and evening food and music events. Set in a restored building, the Red Roof is a welcoming art and food space without the formality of a regular gallery, quirky and traditional on the outside and sleek yet cosy on the inside!
Reviewed 15 November 2011

On our way to see Neist Lighthouse we stopped here at this great little cafe. Friendly, comfortable, good food, delicious baked goods, at excellent prices. I had butternut and ginger soup with artisan bread, my husband had the Fisherman's Platter that included peat smoked salmon and smoked haddock pate with more artisan bread and an edible flower side salad. We shared a large, very chocolatey brownie with tea and coffee. All delicious and all for around £24 incld tip for the two of us. Now that's a good value! Make sure you bring cash though as they don't accept credit cards.

Reviewed 9 November 2011

~ lovely friendly cafe with delicious food and beautiful art !!
~ absolutely loved the butternut squash and ginger soup served with carraway seed bread last friday ~ then coffee and cake afterwards ~ divine !!
~ we simply had to call again on saturday morning before our journey home and were delighted with the savoury scones with crowdie and red onion marmalade !!
~ yum yum !!
~ lovely unusual artwork on display too !!
~ it's worth visiting skye just to sample the delights of red roof cafe ~ thankyou !! ~ ♥ ~

Reviewed 6 November 2011

The warmest of welcomes awaits you at this hidden gem on the north west of the Isle of Skye. The quality of the food is exceptional, and being locally sourced it is truly a taste of Skye. Not only is the food exceptional, the range of fair trade teas and coffees on offer is outstanding. The building has been lovingly restored and boasts many environmental features. On top of all this you are surrounded by the wonderful artwork produced by Elly Knight. The car park is small and the road narrow - so why not leave the car in Glendale and walk up - that way you can also kid yourself that you've earned the hot chocolate and heavenly slice of cake!

Reviewed 5 November 2011

The Red Roof is a small restaurant - only six tables - on a single track road, in tiny Glendale. But it is worth finding. The location is well sign posted once you are in Glendale.

The food is fresh and bursting with flavor. The menu changes based upon availability of local ingredients. I had a fisherman’s platter – superb salmon, a lovely smoked haddock pate, and delightful home-baked whole grain bread and oatcakes. However, it was the salad that I’ll always remember. It was simply the best I have ever eaten. Consisting of vast variety of very fresh, crisp greens and edible flowers, each bite brought a new flavor. The flavors were excellently balanced. All the ingredients are locally grown. The staff wisely serves the salad without dressing, which would utterly destroy the unique tastes of the various salad components.

At the end of my main course, I was full and could eat no dessert, but my waitress kindly wrapped a brownie for me to enjoy later - and enjoy it I did. Light in texture, the brownie was very moist and chocolaty, with bits of chocolate distributed in it. Just as with the salad, it was the best brownie I've ever eaten.

The staff are as delightful and interesting as the food. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

This was my most memorable meal in Scotland. Although I don’t usually return to a restaurant to eat a second time unless there is no obvious alternative – I went back to the Red Roof – twice. If Trip Advisor let me give ten stars, that would be my rating. The Red Roof is a reason all by itself for visiting Skye.

n.b. The Red Roof is open only on Fridays and Saturdays during the 2011-2012 winter season.

Reviewed 26 October 2011

Caters for all diets. But as a vegetarian or vegan on holiday it was a real find...something for everyone. Recommended.