Review Highlights
Hot Springs and Archeological Site!

Reviewed June 18, 2018
Gretchen s
Denver, Colorado
Interesting place and nice swim and mud mask

Reviewed May 24, 2018
Suzie B

All reviews sulphur pool small museum puerto lopez interesting place museum tour knowledgeable guides fruit community mud spring pond culture entrance handicrafts birds
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I was so excited to visit Agua Blanca! The museum is small but worth seeing, and our tour guide was good there, if quick. Tours are only in Spanish but I understand Spanish with fluency, and my partner understands at an intermediate level. The problem came on the walk—the tour guide didn’t even point out the archaeological site (I know there isn’t much to see but I don’t even know if we passed it!) and simply brought us on a 15-20 minute walk to the thermal waters with very little explanation along the way. Based on the timeline it seems like he maybe skipped over a part of the tour? Maybe this was because others who joined the group didn’t speak Spanish. However, we all seemed enthusiastic and I was helping to translate so I’m not sure what happened. The thermal waters may be a spring, but they are not hot and the day was very cold, so we just put our legs in. They are worth a visit in hotter weather. After our guide abandoned us at the spring, we had a long time to wait for our taxi because we were told the tour was much longer! Also, I’m not sure how long the walk is from the spring to the museum on the main road but it seems long. Luckily, someone told our taxi we were abandoned at the spring and he came to find us.

If you’re patient, we found the food to be very good at the restaurant across the street from the museum!

Reviewed August 28, 2018

We went with a taxi to Agua Blanca. You can asked for a driver in your hotel in Puerto Lopez who drives you around the whole day for around 30 Dollars.
After the visit of the small museum and some explanations in Spanish by the guide he took us to buy some handicraft which feels uncomfortable if you don't buy something. Afterwards he showed us around and told us some things about the village.
In the end you can have a bath in the sulfur pond or even get a massage with mud. It is ok but very touristic and our guide did not show much motivation.

Reviewed June 18, 2018

For about 5$, where else can you enjoy hot springs and a historical/archeological site? Very knowledgeable guides, a nice slow-paced afternoon.

1  Thank Gretchen s
Reviewed May 24, 2018

We went here for a day. The entrance is very cheap and a guide showed us around the museum and then through the farm area and then down to the swimming area with mineral pool. It was cold but really refreshing and they give you a little bit of mud for a mud mask.There is an option of a massgage for additional cost and there's a shop by the pool. Very calm and quiet when we went with only a couple of other people.

Reviewed April 16, 2018

I went to Agua Blanca by bike from Puerto Lopez and still continued to the Playa de los Frailes the same day. The place itself has a rich history which the small museum and archaelogical site hardly suggest - definitely worth a tour! The Agua Blanca itself was nothing outworldly, but rather a big pond with mineral water! Ask for some natural shampoo from the tree fruits if you take a bath

Reviewed August 18, 2017 via mobile

Is great to see the community pulling together to protect the history and culture of the area. We enjoyed the visit and walk to the Sulphur Pool of healing water. Is perfect and cared for by the locals. Wonderful!

1  Thank MiguelinaMishina
Reviewed August 12, 2017

I certainly enjoyed the museum tour and the walk to the excavation site and across the river.
We didn't go into the sulfur pool or had a massage, however there were birds and farm animals around the trail.
I would have preferred to walk the trail on my own, since the tour was too rushed for me to really enjoy the trip

Reviewed March 21, 2017

After paying a small entrance fee, a tour guide escorts you through the museum. I'm not a big fan of museums, but it was interesting. The guide then takes you to archeological site where they will be excavating for the next decade. We learned that their project was mainly funded by tourism to the community, so if interested, you can pay to join a dig. We didn't have enough time. The guide then took us to the sulphur pool, best part in my opinion, and stayed until we were ready to leave. We got mud massages - $10 for 20 min. Bathrooms, shower facilities, and food available there. Worth the trek to Agua Blanca!

1  Thank M041
Reviewed March 14, 2017

Incredibly low-priced at $5 for entry fee, tour guide, and soaking in the sulfur lagoon. I also had a half-hour mud massage for $10. I went mid-week and there were only 3 tourists on the tour and in the lagoon at the same time as myself. Taxi fare from Puerto Lopez was $12 round-trip, with my return trip arranged for 3 hours later with the taxi in advance.

Reviewed March 6, 2017

I must begin by saying my time was limited. I only had a couple of hours and my main interest was in the jungle spring water pools. As for the artifacts and excavations, your complete attention must be given to the guide, who speaks only Spanish. There was very little to look at. I was frustrated because I had to stay with the guide,(and two student trainees), instead of spending time in the healing waters. I was bored with the tour after about 30 minutes, but was not allowed to go ahead to what interested me. When I finally got there, I found just one pool in a clearing, with people around watching. It seemed pricey for what you experience. (I had to take a cab to and from Puerto Lopez + $5.00 entry charge). There wasn't much village life to witness either, except for the people who run the craft stand and restaurant.