All reviewsglass villasinfinity poolour honeymooncosta ricabreakfast burritoocean viewwelcome cocktailsan joseside notethe entire staffminute drivecorcovado national parkrain showertunaboutique hotelpura vidahowler monkeys
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed at Oxygen for our honeymoon in September. After searching almost all hotels in Costa Rica we decided Oxygen looked like a pretty amazing and unique location which offered the things we were looking for: Seclusion, Relaxation in an upscale boutique setting.

Oxygen did offer a total seclusion...so much that we could not find the hotel on our first night of arrival (in the middle of a huge rainstorm and after over 12 hours of traveling). A major part of the problem was we did not have directions. We requested them via email days before our arrival however never received them. As you will see hotel management mentions in other reviews it is impossible to find Oxygen without directions and this is very true. So be sure to request directions ASAP upon booking your room or you may run into the same problem we did. To our luck there was a Uvita tourist office open and they were able to provide us the directions to the hotel. After driving ten minutes up the unpaved bumpy road to the hotel we found the first bridge we had to cross was completely flooded with water...maybe 3-4 feet of water rushing over the bridge. Unfortunately it was just not safe to cross so we had to drive back into town and find another hotel for the night and we checked into Oxygen the following morning. Oxygen did not charge us for this night. Since the bridge flooding continued to be an issue over the next few days resulting us in waiting over an hour on multiple occasions for the water level to go down in order for us to cross, Oxygen did have someone dig out some rocks under the bridge allowing the water to pass under rather than over.

The 15 minute drive up and down the unpaved road got pretty old after the 3rd day. To me it was such a chore that once we left in the morning we did not want to come back until we were totally done for the day to avoid multiple trips up and down. This also meant we were constantly traveling with all our important belongings in case they were needed during the day (passports, a few hundred dollars cash, camera, camcorder, IDs, credit card). The hotel activities were very limited when we arrived back for the evening. Your options were to eat the 4 course dinner, read a book, swim if it wasn't raining (but generally was a little cool to swim after the rain), or rent a dvd from the front desk to watch on a mini handheld dvd player. If the power went out (which happened to us 3 times during our stay) your options were even more limited all though dinner could still be served in this instance.

We ended up checking out three days early because we were bored and also wanted to be closer to the airport for our departure.

Tho sleeping rooms were very average. They have an open inviting feel with all glass walls and a minimalistic decor. Once we spent a night in the room we began to notice the shortfalls. My biggest complaints would be:

1. The quality of the bedding which seemed old and ratty as if it had been washed a million times before. The bed itself and pillows were very comfortable.

2. The toilet facilities disgusted me. I do appreciate the "green approach" that oxygen has implemented which is that you may not flush toilet paper but instead put it in the trashcan. Unfortunately the glass enclosed toilet facility smelled like a similar to a port-a-pot. Every time I used the bathroom I was practically gagging. I had to take a bar of soap in to smell every time I entered to prevent from getting sick. It didn't seem to bother my husband as much...maybe I am just overly sensitive to smell. I think a better system would be to put the toilet paper in some sort of chute that was stored outside in a enclosed container until emptied by staff.

3. The hot water heater for the sink and shower was extremely loud anytime you turned the water on.

All the staff was absolutely wonderful! They were very knowledgable of the area and so helpful in booking tours. Also, they were always so kind and made you feel very special. They would be standing at your car door with an umbrella anytime you arrived during rain, they carried your luggage to your room, would engage in friendly conversations, gave you clean towels before you left to go to the beach for the day (without even having to ask). We really enjoyed talking to all the the staff that worked during our stay.

The four course surprise dinners were spectacular! We only ate there 2 times in a week as it was a little pricey but the meals were VERY delicious and fresh! Expect to spend about $64 for two people before drinks. It takes 2.5-3 hours from start to finish to get through the four courses. This is much longer than we wished to be eating for...I was almost falling asleep be the end of dinner both times. Again, the food was always very delicious so its really a matter of preference on price and time...the dinner is guaranteed amazing in taste!

The nature trail and waterfall was really pretty. The grounds are well maintained and the plant life is just beautiful.

Overall I would rate Oxygen a 3 out of 5 or average. Although very a unique and beautiful setting, good dinners, and excellent staff, this hotel is missing the mark on the items I mentioned. Being very active this hotel was a little too low key for us. If you are looking to explore the area, go on tours, etc., the location of Oxygen may be more troublesome than its worth. We found we would have preferred to be somewhere with easier access to the main roads and activities. If you are looking to stay put at the hotel for total peace and quiet and to spend your vacation reading, swimming, tanning, and relaxing...maybe some spa and yoga during the day....Oxygen may be the perfect place for you.

Room Tip: Villa 3 looked like the best view of the ocean. Villa 12 looked to be the best for jungle views and privacy.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SassafrasBaltimore
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I booked at oxygen several months ago for our honeymoon. I wasn't sure if it would really "look" like the pictures did. My wife and I were blown away! It was BEAUTIFUL! My wife didn't know where we were going, and so it was a surprise for her. We rented a car and drove up to Oxygen. If your into adventure driving, this is definitely the way to go. If you're more of a city slicker (not accustom to four wheel driving) you should probably get a taxi. We were greeted as soon as we arrived with food and Oxygen signature drinks that were amazing. They took our luggage to our villa (which was ocean view) and gave us a tour of the property and villa. The staff was very kind, courteous, and professional. They booked tours for us at our desire, and were very knowledgeable about the area. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is looking for a romantic, secluded getaway. Should the opportunity present itself, we will be back!

Room Tip: Ocean view is AWESOME!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank michael20119
Reviewed August 22, 2011

My wife and I stayed here during the first part of our honeymoon in June and couldn't have picked a better destination. Our flight landed around 6 AM and our rental car company picked us up at the airport. After a quick breakfast in San Jose we made the 3.5 hour drive to Uvita. We took highway 34 along the coast and would highly recommend that route. There wasn't a lot of traffic and the road was paved most of the way. Just make sure you have some change and/or small bills for tolls (they take US currency, too). We decided not to get a GPS and didn't really need one the entire trip (despite driving over 1000 km).

Believe it or not, the directions from the hotel staff are very useful. They won't make sense until you get there, though. You might be able to make it to Uvita without a 4x4 but there's no way you'll make it up to the hotel without one. Once we arrived we were given some "welcome cocktails" while we waited for our room.

As you can tell from the pictures, the rooms are awesome. I'll just leave it at that.

The infinity pool and "common area" are also pretty unbelievable. We only used the pool a couple of times but ate most of our meals up by the pool. Speaking of meals, the food here was great. The breakfast is around $7 a day and you can choose from a variety of freshly made items. For lunch they have sandwiches, soup, and salads that change from day to day. I think we ate lunch at the hotel everyday except for once. Now, the real highlight of the kitchen here is the 5 course dinner. My wife is a chef and she was blown away by the menu the two nights we ate dinner here. I think the dinner was around $30 a person and it is worth it to eat here at least once during your stay. The menu is a surprise, but they'll cater to you if there's something you don't like.

As far as other restaurants in the area, I highly recommend eating dinner at Citrus in Ojochal one night. The meal there was arguably one of the best I've ever had. It is a bit pricey but is on par with eating dinner at the hotel. Getting there is super easy and the hotel staff can give you directions. I can also recommend La Fogata pizza which is right in Uvita. The pizza is made in a wood burning stove and is really, really good. Made for a great, late lunch one day of our trip and the staff is really nice.

The weather was really good for most of our trip despite our fears of traveling during the "green season". I think it rained everyday around 2 PM, which was a perfect time for a nap. However, the rest of the day it was gorgeous.

As far as activity recommendations, Uvita is full of interesting things to do! The first day we just went down to Playa Uvita and found tons of full sand dollars and checked out the "Whale's Tail". The beach was completely empty and made for a romantic stroll. The second day we took surfing lessons which I highly recommend. Neither my wife or I had ever been surfing and we were both riding waves before the morning was over. The third day we went Canyoning with Scotti and costacanyoning and had some of the most fun of our entire trip. We basically hiked through a river and rappelled down waterfalls for a whole day. I highly recommend this if you're looking for an adventure! Oh, and after the canyoning we got massages, which was the perfect ending to our stay here.

Well, hopefully the review was somewhat helpful. If you're thinking about staying here, do it! You won't regret it!

Room Tip: All of the rooms were great and very private, but the
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank bonyterman
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Oxygen is one of the most unique hotels we have ever stayed in. Each space is a cottage of glass (with drapes for privacy). There are private terraces to lounge on for each bungalow. Dining there is spectacular with a prefix dinner every night in a romantic outdoor setting. An infinity pool has a view of the ocean and is set in a very Zen like atmosphere.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Uvita Costa Rica. I would rate this hotel 5 stars.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank elevinz_11
Reviewed August 12, 2011

The view is amazing! We stayed in an ocean view villa and could not believe how relaxing it was to sit on the deck. The hotel is elegant, yet modern. We ate dinner here every night; the food was great! They serve a 4 course meal...each course was better than the last. Would recommend this to any honeymooners or couples looking for romance...

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple