“Great views but certainly not 5 Star!!!”

Sea Side Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Agia Pelagia
Reviewed 19 October 2011

First impressions of the Sea Side, were amazing, the drive from the main road down to the hotel is spectacular. We were travelling as two couples and arrived late in the evening, we had to bring our luggage in ourselves and were glared at by the night manager upon entering the hotel, whom looked shocked to see us. He was quick to explain that the hotel was fully booked, and that there was no rooms. This was especially frustrating and disappointing as I had re-confirmed my reservation with the hotel 10 days previously. The evening manager suggested taking us to another hotel in the pitch black that we had never seen or never heard of and was not 5 *. After around 30 minutes of debating he agreed that we could stay in our friends room, and we would be allocated a room tomorrow. This wasn’t an isolated problem, we spoke to around twenty other (mostly British people) whom were in the same situation as us, not a good start.

We were eventually given our OWN room the following morning as promised room 401, which was dark dingy and under one of the swimming pools, I would categorize the room as 3* even for Greece

After further consultation with the reservation manager, he kindly granted our request for an upgrade and we were upgraded to a Junior Suite, which was a vast improvement and one of the best hotel rooms I have experienced in Greece, however the fixtures and fittings were not 5* and the quality of the building the room was housed in was poor.

FOOD

The quality of the food in the main restaurant although similar was excellent, with plenty of choice for all tastes. Furthermore the Chinese a-la carte restaurant was also good, although 6 Euros for a Chinese beer was a joke. The Kulanarium a-la carte restaurant was farcical, the food was inedible and although well presented it lacked flavour quality and thought(don’t waste your money). Talking of wasting your money the hotel oraganise a weekly BBQ evening, charged at 25 Euros per/person, All I can say is that it was one of the most surreal evenings of my life and should be avoided at all costs.

BARS

All the bars served good quality all inclusive drinks. Service was good and quick. My favourite was the bottom pool bar, which had a lovely setting. Stavros the barman deserves a pay increase, as he’s not had one for 8 years, and does a great job.

POOLS

Both pools are nice, the setting for the bottom pool is wonderful and is classed as the chill out pool. The top pool which incorporates the Pelagos pool bar, Is the active pool, and has snacks laid out throughout the day. Both pools were rather cold, indeed the sea was warmer, but both offer a good space to relax.

STAFF

The majority of staff at the Sea Side are friendly, and helpful, however I felt that as it was towards the end of the season some weren’t as pro active as others. Furthermore the hotel seems to have a staff shortage with lots of people working 16 hours shifts and doing lots of different jobs, if you saw more then one person behind reception that was a shock we saw more of the hotel’s Labrador (Skudo) then we did any of the management.

Overall the Sea Side represents good value for money, however due to the lack of management the hotel is a long way of being 5*, although aspects of the hotel are excellent these are outweighed by negatives, but if you get a good room with a nice view then you will have a good holiday, however I wont be returning nor be recommending the Sea Side Resort.

Room Tip: the lower room numbers are the best bet for a standard room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Turkfizle
There are newer reviews for Sea Side Resort & Spa

Reviewed 17 October 2011

First impression as we arrived at hotel was excellent, sandwiches were laid on as our flight had been delayed. Room spacious with beautiful view from balcony across the bay. Hotel staff were prompt when we had requests, i.e when needed more milk for kettle in room etc. Pools and sunbeds were lovely. Food very good standard and plenty of choice. Although hotel was fully booked it didn't feel too busy or noisy. There is a bus available from hotel to Heraklion (3.5 euros each way) but need to hire a car to go anywhere else.
Overall very happy with hotel and made no complaints but did have a few issues; during the day or two of wet weather we still could only get drinks and snacks outside at the top pool bar (which had limited rain cover) even though it was raining and windy, you also have to climb steps to get there in the wet weather, the inside bar remained closed during the day!!
The evening entertainment room was arranged as a formal wedding/conference style and therefore didn't look inviting, although the two members of animation team tried hard to get people in for the 'showtimes', seems most people (including us) wanted to stay in the comfortable lounge bar area for the evening.
We didn't mind going to the bar ourselves for all our drinks (waiters only collect empties) but for this reason and the ones mentioned above I would not agree this is a five star standard.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Julie W
Reviewed 17 October 2011

If you still going to reserve this hotel ask to be in the new side of it otherwise maybe the floor of the room will fluid with water and the tub will be broken. And do not ask for another towel or blanket becouse you'll not get it. The food is good but not much choices.

STAY AWAY! !!

• Stayed: November 2010
4  Thank shlomoco
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We spent a week at the Sea side resort, Crete at the end of September. The hotel is in a lovely location with beautiful views from all around the hotel. It is a good base to explore the island as it is roughly in the middle of the north coast and is a short drive from the highway. However, if you do not have a car, it might be a problem. We visited some beautiful beaches in the south coast and went to the Latsi plateau, Argiroupolis, the Melidhoni cave and some other places that were stunning.

We had a lovely superior sea view room with a beautiful view. It is true that there are many steps in the hotel, but if you do not have mobility problems, the distances and the stairs are welcome after all the good food you eat there! The rooms do need updating as previous reviewers commented, but they are comfortable and spacious and were adequate for our needs.

What made this holiday so special for us was the care and attention Mr Giorgios Kalaitzis showed when preparing my meals. I suffer from Coeliac disease and although I research my holidays thoroughly before booking, I am sometimes disappointed to be told that they can cater to my diet when in fact they would have no idea about cross contamination issues which is a big problem for Coeliacs, especially in a buffet. Mr Giorgis was very knowledgeable, having researched my condition beforehand. He has also catered to clients with special diets in the past so is very careful in food preparation. At every meal, we would go around the buffet, and he would explain the ingredients in each item. If anything was doubtful or if there was any risk of cross contamination, Mr Giorgis would go into the kitchen, and have the chefs prepare the same item for me, but without the offending ingredients.

I would like to point out that my husband can eat everything, and there was a vast choice of food that was of a high standard.

Thanks again to Mr Giorgis and all the staff at the Sea Side Resort.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank yolanda22
Reviewed 19 September 2011

My girl friend and I stayed her from 6-13 Sep (the week where all the kids are back at school!). Firstly this hotel is in a quiet area so if you wants lots of nightlife and sightseeing probably not the best place. We are two ladies in our mid 30's who just wanted a nice quiet week to chill, sunbathe, drink and eat lots of good food. We got all of that. We should all know that 5* in Europe often not top notch or what we would expect in the UK or other countries. It was fine for us and we always stay 5*. the hotel itself is quite basic to look at and rooms ok, air con did the job although the only thing is you only get one key card so you can't leave air con on, this wasn't a problem as temperature was perfect in late 20's early 30's. We switched on our TV once! Rooms cleaned everyday, we asked to get upgraded to seaview and the lovely reservations manager gave us this. There are rooms with shared pools which we would pay extra for, especially if group of travellers. All views are amazing, there is a quiet pool with bar and no music but also one on top with music and the hard working animation team. Simo and Baloo are the two guys doing animation and I have to take my hat off to them as they are so friendly and even my friend and I participated in activities and silly games just because they have an infectious friendliness that you can't help but want to have fun and join in. Not too sure about the moody guy doing the music and some of the entertainment. They really are a credit to the hotel and certainly made my holiday a lot of fun.
Food is good, quite a bit of choice, love that pasta and pizza was made in front of you. One of white wines was decent so that was good too. I would like to mention our favourite waitress Maria, lovely lady who looked after us. A mix of nationalities but mostly French which is no problem, I liked that there wasn't lots of English (coming from UK). Would I go back? Yes definitely with a group with the option of our own pool but head out for cheesy entertainment in the hotel in the evening. I think these reviews are always a bit hit and miss as really depends on a persons attitude, we could main that air con wasnt freezing, sink leaked a little and after a shower floor was soaked but hotel staff amazing and sorted out all problems, thank you Seaside and we hope to see you again xx

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank Stacy O
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I stayed in Sea Side Resort & Spa for 12 days together with my finacee.

Staff is very friendly and helpful, most of them speak English, French and Russian languages so it's quite easy to communicate with them. It really feels that receptionists, waiters, barmen and all others are sincere in their friendliness and they are doing their best to make guests feel comfortable.

Restaraunts and bars are very good. Restaraunt has diet corner and lots of natural food. Everything except beef maybe is very tasty. Couple of times I've seen a queue at the entrance, but I never really experienced any troubles with finding the seat myself.

Rooms are ok. I wouldn't say that they are anyhow outstanding but they contain eveything you need. Moreover, our landview room has beautiful sea view so I really can't complain.

The beach near the hotel is good but it might appear too crowdy during the weekends. Bear in mind that it's not free. There is another beach just in 15 minutes walking that is more like quite. There are many fishes in the sea so don't forget to take your mask.

It's a perfect place to spend your vacation without thinking of anything just enjoying the sea and food. I would recommend it to everyone who wants this type of vacation.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DanyaV
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We (33-35 couple with 2YO and 5YO boys) visited Sea Side on 26-31/8. The hotel located on a hill, which means 2 things:
1) There are many stairs everywhere you will go
2) The view from literally every point in this hotel is not less than stunning, and you easily forget about the (1).
The second great point about this hotel is the friendliness of its stuff. In this kind of resorts, and especially in Crete, I don't expect too much serviceability, and I was pleasantly surprised with the efficiency, friendliness and willing to help from majority of the hotel staff.
The hotel is most suitable for all-aged couples without the kids. It does do an effort to attract the families as well, but unfortunately those are pretty poor - the Mini Club is located far away from the main areas, poorly equipped and has very limited open hours, the Mini-disco "show" in the evening is very standard and poor as well.
There are many rooms with a private pool, and the main 2 pools are never too crowded to enjoy and to find a sit near the pool.
The animation team is comprised of very nice and friendly guys, but those 4 guys are all the hotel has, and are in charge of everything - promotion, costumes, pool games, night show, mini club, and 4 people for this job is definitely not enough.
To enter the dinner, the men required to wear long pants. Your short ones may be more elegant than some long ones, but the rule is the rule, and you better bring a pair of long ones, because any shopping area is pretty far away from the hotel.
The rooms are in a very good condition, though this hotel is 10YO or so, it feels like a new and maintained remarkably. The door lock of the bathroom was broken when we entered the room, and was replaced with a new one in just a few hours after our call to the maintenance. Our room (326) "maisonnette style family room was located perfectly and our kids just loved climbing the stairs to their second floor room, having a private balcony as well.
All in all, the food quality (great), the service (worm and friendly, never waited more than 2 minutes for my drinks order!) and the views, make this hotel a perfect getaway for couples, who won't suffer from kids presence. I certainly recommend staying in this hotel, and even though I never go to the same place twice - I do consider staying in Sea Side if sometime I'll visit Crete in the future.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Aldemar Knossos Royal
#14 of 171 in Hersonissos
30.3 km away
Stella Palace Resort & Spa

Been to Sea Side Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!