All reviews plunge pool champagne breakfast glass of champagne deluxe room our honeymoon skaros rock out of this world main pool turn down service pillow menu every morning large pool the cliff perfect hotel once in a lifetime every evening every request
Reviewed September 14, 2018

I have been travelling to Santorini for thirty years and have experienced most locations and many hotels over that time. We had very high expectations for the Grace and our time at the Grace particularly given the hype and price. We had a great arrival which kicked off our Grace experience with a welcome champagne and chat with Eleni, the Guest Relations Manager. The hotel has great views, a stunning pool, a high level of food and beverage particularly with a five course changing breakfast menu. A special shout out to Eva a real star for the Grace and Nikos and George who were very friendly and engaging. The room interiors are beautifully appointed - probably the best I've experienced in Santorini for space, style, and functionality. We enjoyed a night at the Santoro restaurant, the food was excellent although pricey. It's worth doing once for the experience. For me the beauty of Santorini, and the sunset comes for free and there are many vantage points for anyone to experience this beauty you don't need to be in a hotel or at the Grace to enjoy it so don't get caught up in that hype.

There are two areas where our experience fell short and impacted our time at the Grace. First, we were not happy with our initial room as it was directly on the public pathway to Skaros rock and soon after arrival we experienced many people passing very close by the room, stepping into the balcony for photos, sitting on our steps, and peering into our windows to understandably get a look into the hotel - the last straw was people smashing bottles and playing around further down the path that gave us security concerns. After a long day of travelling and with our expectation of just being able to jump into the plunge pool and have some time to ourselves and relax not being able to come to fruition we were a little frustrated and asked whether there were other room options. We were asked to wait until the next day, and in the morning another option was presented that would become available the following day. We accepted the alternative - although it suffered from the same problem being on the public pathway - it was better than our previous room in all respects including the floorpan. It still however had it's day bed bordering the public pathway. A previous reviewer mentioned this room 51 as a particular issue in this regard, in my view our first room - 61 was the worst in regard to proximity to the path. We were disappointed that given we had booked nearly a year ahead we managed to find ourselves in two of the worst rooms in this property in our opinion, and its never ideal changing rooms as you can't fully unwind and relax. It's possible that others may be ok with this or even like it however we were looking fo a degree of isolation and exclusivity that we seek in high-end properties. The hotel relied on arguments that there was no privacy in Santorini, and that this blending with the location was a feature. That did not really make sense when the property perimeter was open and yet the hotel had screening up between rooms - why do that if it's ok to be open to a public path? In my thirty years of Santorini travel I have never felt this way - I am completely comfortable that you are exposed in Santorini particularly within a hotel and from above but I don't want to be in a position where I am not comfortable with leaving my door, windows, or shutters open, and not able to leave any personal effects on the balcony for fear they would disappear. In the end we did not really make use of the outdoor area of either room, and I did not use the plunge pools preferring the relative privacy of the main pool. Unfortunately, the initial man who took the call about our room dissatisfaction must have taken it personally that we were unhappy and avoided us for the rest of our time there and was awkward on departure. He also never personally followed up. Other than running toilet incidents in both rooms that were resolved fairly quickly as I said earlier the room interiors are excellent.

The second issue I had was with the indiscrete banter between staff. Most hotel guests are not Greek however people who understand Greek visit like myself and it's not acceptable to be able to hear the banter and what's going on between the team both in relation to their work or just being social. In high-end properties you do not hear what is going on between staff members to this degree and here it felt like the language barrier made it ok or invisible to guests when it's not. On two occasions staff were talking about me and not in derogatory terms however I found this completely unprofessional and odd given most there knew I was of Greek descent and could understand Greek. I have not experienced this previously in high-end Greek hotels on other islands and for me it really lowered my view of the hotel service standards.

This experience really changed the way I feel about Santorini and I'm not sure I'll be back anytime soon. It definitely did not deliver on what we hoped to achieve in our last four days in Europe for this year.

I have still rated this hotel as very good as it is in many ways and could be absolutely flawless or potentially the best hotel in Greece. It's not there yet.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms bordering the public path to Skaros
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NFitzdelfini
GraceSantorini1, General Manager at Grace Hotel Santorini, Auberge Resorts Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2018

Dear NFitzdelfini,

Thank you for posting in detail your experience at Grace Santorini!

I read all with great interest and very happy to know that you enjoyed our welcome experience, unobstructed views, high quality Food & Beverage offering & interaction with our staff. Note that Eleni, Eva, Nikos & George are truly excited to read their names to your positive reference. Clearly, on the other hand, was saddened to read that we may have fallen short of your anticipations in certain elements. I would really look forward to potentially discuss this further over the phone with you.

Kindly do contact me at Res.Santorini@gracehotels.com subject line my name for further arrangement of communication.

Reviewed September 13, 2018

We were so looking forward to staying at The Grace, read all the glowing reviews and devoured the beautiful photos on the website. We stayed here for one week & felt that it didn't quite live up to our expectations. Lovely views & sunsets, but whilst the hotel makes the most of the limited space that it occupies it lacks a certain amount of privacy. It just seemed to be one hotel / villa complex on top of another. There were some nice little touches, the turn down service was particularly sweet & thoughtful. The pool area cleverly designed to make the most of the narrowness of the layers. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Overall though - we felt that this was overpriced for what it is (as were the food and drinks).

Room Tip: Check out the floor plans on the website
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
GraceSantorini1, General Manager at Grace Hotel Santorini, Auberge Resorts Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2018

Dear Loraine K,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments for Grace Santorini!

We are very proud to be considered the best hotel in Santorini and thank you for recognizing unique the amazing views & sunsets, our turn down ritual & above all the attentiveness of our staff. Our hotel's location in the middle of Caldera, an amazing geographical phenomenon, sets us apart and at the same time the amphitheatrical setting that allows for amazing unobstructed views makes it unique. The lack of privacy is definitely subjective and certainly compensated by the views and beauty of the ocean.

Look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed September 7, 2018 via mobile

Check in by Eleni and team was 5 Star, very welcoming, professional and so welcoming to their establishment.
The room was also exceptional and 5 Star, they had thought of absolutely everything one could ever imagine you would need. Turn down service so impressive (lavender pouches, pillow menu).
View was unbeatable. Infinity pool a dream.
Lasting we had dinner and breakfast around the pool and both service and food were impeccable.
In addition to the above nothing was too difficult for them to organize for you.
We will be back undoubtably and wish we could have stayed longer.
Thank you “Grace team” - what a memory.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
GraceSantorini1, General Manager at Grace Hotel Santorini, Auberge Resorts Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2018

Dear Cris S,

Thank you for the great review of our hotel!

I am delighted to hear that you couldn't have a made a better choice & thrilled by your detailed description of Grace Santorini's varied luxury offerings, services and activities.

Rest assured that all of the team here is aware of your review & specially Eleni is extremely proud from your named reference.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Grace Santorini soon!

Reviewed August 31, 2018 via mobile

We spent the first three nights of our honeymoon at Grace. There is no doubt, that this is a wonderful hotel, most likely right at the heart of Santorini‘s greatest spot and view.
What disturbed other guests as well as ourselves is that, although the Grace sells its exclusivity at a high price, they hold weddings and other big time parties at the same time. For this they close their lounge, which should be open to all guests to see the sunset, and they do not seem to really care that this is a major downgrade. They stick to their own point of (dollar) view. Even if this means that guests cannot sleep due to party music

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eva C

Dear Eva C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us.

My team and I were thrilled to read your review. We consider ourselves very lucky to be part of a hotel that is located in such a wonderful and unique setting. Accordingly, we aim to deliver a truly unique guest experience ranging from room amenities and in-depth concierge knowledge, to awarded gastronomy and most of all genuine hospitality. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the attentive service received by our team in combination with our property’s facilities and exclusive amenities. However, saddened to hear your expectations fell short due to a minor event that taken place for a couple of hours in our 363 Champagne Lounge. As you put it details are not details at Grace Santorini, details are the services and products we strive to curate for our guests.

Thank you for choosing Grace Santorini for this special occasion and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

A large pool with a great view together with fantastic culinary experiences. That’s how I would summarize the strengths of this hotel. The food & beverage manager is indeed outstanding and has a great team: meals are a real delight (try the tasting menu).

The hotel offers however little to no privacy. Both the pool and several quite expensive rooms are located right next to a public path leading to a popular nearby rock overlooking the caldera. People passing by look directly into the main hotel pool or your little private whirlpool and terrace. Strangers also enter the hotel very easily from different sides (it is most of the time not guarded) and it is not unusual to find them posing along the pool together with hotel guests. The air conditioning is noisy and the room service intrusive. Disappointing when you pay such a high room rate.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michel D

Dear Michel D,

We are naturally disappointed to read your comments following your stay at Grace Santorini.

Our location high above the Caldera, which is globally one of the most important geological configurations, does mean that there are quite a few steps to the main entrance and within the property & that also properties in Caldera are surrounded by communal paths that connect old, traditional housing estates with each other. However, most guests choose the hotel for this very reason: its location offers 180 degrees unobstructed breath taking views of the Caldera and the magical sunsets. All that compensates for not having the ultimate conventional privacy you may have received in other locations.

We are sorry that the hotel did not suit you on this occasion, but would like to reiterate to others that we make every effort to deliver on our promises from the very first moment to the last, as countless other reviews have shown.

Kind regards,