“brilliant cheap hol !!!”

Santa Susanna Resort
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Santa Susanna
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Booked this holiday 3 weeks before we went checked on trip adviser before I booked it and it got good reviews but I have to say they are well deserved. The staff are lovely .the food was good always a good selection and always fresh and hot. Theres a little train to take you to resort centre not that you need it its a 5 min walk and the best thing about the walk is it takes you right past the drunken duckling pub which is really nice. The beach is endless and there are loads of lovely little coves all the way along. Would definatly go back especially at the price it costs

Room Tip: Rooms to left of building dont have a view but all others have a pool view
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank annabelmex

Reviewed 21 April 2012

This was my first package holiday and I must admit I wasn't sure what to expect. I had no need to worry as the hotel was fantastic. As all the reviews say it is spotless and the staff are friendly, hardworking and polite. I am a vegan and was worried about the food but there was fresh fruit, salad, potatoes and a whole variety of other food in abundance. There is drink available constantly and although the spirits are not as strong as usual it does the job and there is Amstel constantly on tap.

We walked loads and Santa Susanna is a lovely place with lots of of old buildings to admire. We went into Barcelona on the train on two occassions and it is a cheap and efficient service. There was plenty of entertainment and although we didn't engage in this all the guests were friendly and I didn't see any rowdy behaviour at all.

I swam daily in the outdoor pool which although totally unheated was very refreshing and I usually got the pool to myself.

Our only slight issue was we were in a downstairs room (very bottom floor) and it was really cold all the time. We had 3 blankets and it was still cold at night. As this room never got any sun it never warmed up. So I would say ask for an upstairs room but be aware that if you end up on the main floor it is quite noisy due to the entertainment, bar etc.

We both had a fantastic time and I would say it is a great place to stay for anyone and is amazing value for money.

Room Tip: The bottom floors are cold, rooms 100 to 300. The 300 floor is on the bar level so the higher floors...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Caroline D
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This was our second trip to this hotel and the weather was not great (can’t blame the hotel0 it was early April). There was a problem with our booking we did not get the balcony we had booked for, but once again the staff were fantastic and we were moved to a room with a balcony the next day.
The food was plain but varied and plentiful; the staff were polite and always helpful. After one day the barman (Anayet) knew our order and had it ready for us when we wanted it.
This is a budget holiday expect that and you will receive more than you expected but do not expect 5 star you will be disappointed. Would I go back? Yes I would and probably will.

2  Thank jimkillie
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Just been on a 4 day hen wkend with 12 other ladies and had a fab time, don't look at the bad reviews cos there really wasn't anything to complain about. Food was good and plentiful, snack bar was nice, good drinks (we all got 3 at one time),and when asked fir a different cocktail the bar staff mixed random stuff up, verupy nice though!! staff friendly n helpful (we wanted more bedding as it was a little chilly at night, they brought them ASAP as well as putting us all near each other when asked) we stayed in hotel all 3 nights as we made our own entertainment and made friends with people in the hotel. Pool looked clean and plenty of beds. Nice little town only 5 min walk and to the lovely palm tree beach! Great jewellery shops all 2 euros in a few of them BARGAIN:-) only train ride away to many towns n also Barcelona. There is the mini train but also a little mini bus, driver on there was fab it was like a disco bus!
Great for all ages, so don't listen to those on here who put u off they obviously want 7 star quality fir 3 star prices!!
Bex n her chicks :-)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony not a pot hole window if your staying more than 3 nights to enjoy the...
3  Thank Becky H
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We got a late deal to Santa Susanna Resort for the later part of the Easter Holidays (me, my mum and two toddlers) and overall were impressed with what we got for the money - the hotel and rooms were clean, the food and drink were readily available and of a typical 3* standard (not gourmet but certainly more than edible!) and the entertainment for children was very good.
It was noisy at night, in part as everywhere is tiled and also as some people don't know when they've had enough to drink (not just the youngsters!!!)
Would I go back? I'm not sure (I didn't like the actual Resort of Santa Susanna) but I wouldn't put others off going either as a holiday is what you make it (just take some earplugs in case!!)

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank mrspastie

Ok where to start!!

> Really needs updating the decor inside is horrible.
> There is no quiet or soft seating area's in this hotel.
> Constant kids running around with no parents watching them. 1 woman actually lost her toddler whilst we were there because she was to busy getting herself a drink!
> and so on an on an on......

Myself and 2 others arrived at santa susanna on friday (13th april) ..We arrived in the hotel and went to check in we was given our key and that was it..No direction to where our room was or any offer of help with baggage. The reception desk is in the bar so as we walked through the door there was a hen party there,around 30-40 kids running wild with no parents watching them and kareoke on so we were quite suprised by that,as we'd been travelling all day we wanted to put our case in the room and have a bite to eat and a drink..We finally found our room which was on the top floor then headed down to the bar for a drink..As it was 11.30pm the only food they had to offer was pizza or crisp..We had booked all inclusive but had to pay 6 euro's for a pizza as they stop serving food to all inclusive at 9.30.The entertainment is rubbish! They have nothing what so ever on in the day so if it rains (which it did for us ) Your left to make your own entertainment up and amuse yourselves! The night time isnt any better either we had a parrot show and a spanish dancer on which you cant see as the kids all stand in your way...Drinks : Your only allowed 2 drinks at a time per person which are served in small plastic cups, they hardly have anything decent to drink! you have a selection from 'cocktail of the day ' which was sex on the beach for 3days or vodka,gin,whisky,peach schnapps or amstel lager so you get really bored of drinking the same thing...Food was quite nice tho and its always cooked fresh, the toasties and chips from the snack bar outside are lovely :) we overheard a waitor call a young girl a english b*****d which we were totally disctusted by an did try to complain in which the manager said he didnt understand ( funny that eh! ) You have to be up at the crack of dawn to get a sun lounger as they go straight away..Rooms are freezing as they dont have heaters but do have blankets in your wardrobe, the hotel is very over crowded so not many places to sit we had to stand up all nite on the saturday in the end we ended up going out instead. we found an english bar called the drunken duck - fantastic pub an staff are fantastic would highly recommend...Overall not a bad holiday you get what you pay for really but wouldnt reccomend if you like your sleep or want a quiet relaxing holiday!!

Room Tip: Room a11 is the best room its very big and has a upstairs with 2 beds too
1  Thank leanne b
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Well, where do I start?! We decided to book a last minute budget break as I am 7.5 months pregnant and thought it would be a nice trip away for 4 nights with our 2 boys aged 5 and 7 before the baby arrives.
We took a taxi to the hotel and upon arrival at the hotel at 10am I knew straight away what we were in for. The front of the hotel was "littered" with hungover, sunburnt, tattooed smoking chavs with beers in hand! One look at my husband and I knew he was thinking the same as me...where on earth have we come to!?
Although our room wasn't ready due to our early arrival, the guy on Reception appeared to be extremely helpful and gave us our all-inclusive bands and pointed us towards the snack bar and pool area.
After a couple of hours we were advised our room was ready and given our key for room 104. Whilst the room was small (with 4 single beds crammed in) and basic, it was clean and that's the main thing.
The weather was pretty poor whilst we were there and the maids left the doors open at either end of the corridors all day so our bedroom was freezing. There were no heaters...or air con so woe betide anyone thinking about staying in Summer.
My husband mentioned at Reception that the room was very cold and perhaps a higher floor would be warmer. He was told they would send us more blankets as if we moved to another part of the hotel we wouldn't get to sleep until 4am due to the noise from other guests!! If you are staying on level 3 I don't think you stand a chance of getting a wink of sleep! Ever! Unless of course you get completely blotto like the majority.
The staff were in the majority helpful and courteous although I would agree with another reviewer that I'm not sure any of them were Spaniards.
The "restaurant" (I am using the term very loosly) was awful. The same smell greeted you on arrival for all 3 meals every day. Everything served was lukewarm, bland and awful. The salads were the best bit and were acceptable. Our children literally survived on chips, sweetcorn and cucumber for our stay...and we weren't much different. On our first night my husband's chicken was raw in the middle. He pointed it out to one of the staff who shrugged his shoulders and nodded...obviously not the first time this had happened.
One night there was a pork joint being carved. We were watching in dismay as people were actually choosing to eat it, despite the "chef" mopping up the blood that was pouring out of it with a napkin...horrendous!!
We ended up going into Santa Susanna one night for dinner to try and find something with a bit of nutrition however even the main resort was like a ghost town with hardly any restauarants open.
We also went to the beach one day - which is shale, not sand so sore to walk on and the children can't even make sandcastles!
There was little entertainment at night. We contemplated going to the quiz one night until we overheard a guest saying they were "so p*ssed they couldn't even read the last question!". No thanks!
The pool area was really overcrowded even though the weather was poor. It must be awful in peak season.
As other reviewers have mentioned, the majority of children staying here just ran a mock. Our boys were in the jacuzzi (which is cold) with 3 children from another family. I promtly got our boys out after listening the to language of this family - referring to each other as "f'ing little gypsy f@ggots!" - they can't have been older than 9 years of age!
The children's park was pretty poor. It consisted of a see-saw, some swings and a slide...of which the dye from the paint came off all over their clothes and has ruined 2 pairs of shorts and jeans!
There was a stag do and a couple of hen do's staying at the resort however you can expect and accept them being loud and drunk and to be honest, they were much more civilised than the rest of the guests. I would not expect families with young children to be doing the same. Fighting in the "restaurant", swearing as part of their standard vocabulary etc!
To make matters worse, these scumbags have no regard for anyone else staying in the hotel. At around 12.30am when the all-inclusive drinking finishes, expect to be woken up by children screaming, running up and down the corridors, adults laughing at the them and swearing and shouting. Then there is another influx that go to bed at 3am ish when you've just fallen back to sleep after being so enraged by the first lot that have disturbed you!
There are signs pinned up all over the Reception area saying please drink responsibly as this is a family hotel...that's the problem. It really IS NOT suitable for families and it has a totally confused identity.
If you're going with a group of friends to get drunk for the duration of your stay, you'll be fine. If you have children and don't want them coming home with a set of swear words to add to their vocab and appalling manners then please do not book to stay here.

Despite the fact that we had already checked in for our return flight online, we decided to head to the airport 4 hours before our flight to escape the hell hole as we couldn't stand it any longer.
Yes, it was cheap but it wasn't even worth the pittance we paid. If you have any class about you, or standards, avoid this hotel at all costs. It is a waste of money and you will have a miserable time. We've never wanted to come home from a holiday before and have never been so grateful to be back! I would have rather had no holiday than to have stayed here!!

As my husband has just said - there should be a no star rating...or minus! It doesn't even warrant 1 star!
You've been warned!!

Room Tip: If you are offered a room on floor 3 - refuse it!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family