All reviews youth hostel self catering kitchen cleveland way bed dorm christmas decorations common areas heated swimming pool few minutes walk beautiful town well worth a visit first floor the north yorkshire moors breakfast was excellent cooked breakfast warm welcome evening meal neil
Reviewed August 27, 2017

It's years since I've stayed in a youth hostel and what a pleasant surprise. Great value (£22 for a bed in the all-female bunk room with its 6 beds and £6 for breakfast. There were enough toilets and showers, but oddly few had working lights - just a one-off, I think. Everywhere was spotlessly clean. The people staying were a happy mix of humanity and I liked the friendliness of sharing the sitting/dining area and exchanging brief pleasantries. The staff were all really helpful. We arrived late (9pm) and walked into the village for a drink in a nice pub with friendly folk to talk to there. I had a good night's sleep in my robust comfortable bunk bed before we set off to walk the Cleveland Way, but interestingly few people in the hostel were walkers - people seem to use them as cheap accommodation where you can cater for yourself these days, rather than accommodation on walking routes.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2017 via mobile

YHA Helmsley was second hostel my son and I have stayed at. I booked an en-suite family room for 3 people which was laid out with a single bed and a bunk bed, chair, little table and a massive wet room and was on the ground floor. The hostel staff were polite and helpful and advised us that there was an Italian restaurant in town as my son was not keen on the dinner menu of chicken or vegetable curry although it smelt and looked lovely to me. The hostel is a few minutes walk from the centre of the town but far enough from the main road to not be bothered by traffic. The walls were thin and we were woken up early by a school party running around the hostel. Breakfast was lovely but as we only went in at 8.30 there was only one croissant left but there was plenty of cereals, hot breakfast etc. All in all it was a pleasant experience.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2017

We had a private room with four bunks. This was a good size for us at a good price. We were glad to be here. The hostel is in good proximity to the city center, Helmsley Castle and there is a great walk to Rievaulx Abbey. The drive to the village was great. Neil at the front desk is nice and made sure that our stay was comfortable. Make sure to pay attention when Neil gives you the code to the front door. We didn't and were unable to get back in during the day. So don't make the mistake I made.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with YHA (England & Wales)
Reviewed June 29, 2017 via mobile

Fantastic self catering kitchen everything you need with easy access to a lovely dining room which was candle lit in the evening - a nice touch
Handy for Helmsley with a car park and ease of parking
We did the Helmsley to Rievaulx circular walk

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Caziragi61
Reviewed June 12, 2017

Helmsley youth hostel is within close walking distance to the lovely town of Helmsley and is ideal for walkers and cyclists . It is small but spotless and the staff are friendly and helpful. We were self catering and the kitchen was very clean and well equipped. There is a small car park. The bedrooms were a little warm as was the conservatory but I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple