All reviews youth hostel self catering kitchen cleveland way bed dorm christmas decorations common areas heated swimming pool few minutes walk beautiful town well worth a visit first floor the north yorkshire moors breakfast was excellent cooked breakfast warm welcome evening meal neil
Reviewed October 19, 2017

We only stayed for 1 night at YHA Helmsley, but it was excellent. We had a Family room with en suite. The room was very clean and tidy.

The staff were really friendly.

My 4 year old son loved playing with in the garden and with the toys in the communal area.

Breakfast was excellent for the price. A full cooked breakfast, with cereal, toast... couldn't ask for more.

A perfect place for a budget stopover.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2017

Neil and his staff were wonderful.
I had one enjoyable night here whilst I took in the sights of Helmsley.
Staff were happy for me to leave my car in the car park prior to check in, whilst I visited the village.
The tom was very comfortable and the showers lovely!
The kitchen is extremely well stocked and the sitting area very comfortable. Well worth a visit and a stay.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed August 31, 2017 via mobile

This was my first stay in a youth hostel and I was not disappointed. The young lady that worked there (I feel bad I didn't catch her name) was excellent and helpful and seemed to do most jobs in the place. Loved the fact there's stuff to buy you may have forgotten but also things like ice creams and wine. Fab communal spaces. Didn't use the kitchen but looked very well equipped (we opted for the paid for breakfast and it was perfect for our needs).
Can hire games . TV and games room for the kids . I am going to come back but with my little girl next time. Sizeable car park.
My only tiny issue is there was one shower room out of action and a toilet with no lock on door. The room was clean (two bunk beds) with a sink and beds were fresh. My only tiny niggle (and only personal preference)- is that the mattress is very thin and quite hard so not conducive to a fab sleep. Personally I would take a sleeping bag to lay on if I returned.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2017

It's years since I've stayed in a youth hostel and what a pleasant surprise. Great value (£22 for a bed in the all-female bunk room with its 6 beds and £6 for breakfast. There were enough toilets and showers, but oddly few had working lights - just a one-off, I think. Everywhere was spotlessly clean. The people staying were a happy mix of humanity and I liked the friendliness of sharing the sitting/dining area and exchanging brief pleasantries. The staff were all really helpful. We arrived late (9pm) and walked into the village for a drink in a nice pub with friendly folk to talk to there. I had a good night's sleep in my robust comfortable bunk bed before we set off to walk the Cleveland Way, but interestingly few people in the hostel were walkers - people seem to use them as cheap accommodation where you can cater for yourself these days, rather than accommodation on walking routes.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2017 via mobile

YHA Helmsley was second hostel my son and I have stayed at. I booked an en-suite family room for 3 people which was laid out with a single bed and a bunk bed, chair, little table and a massive wet room and was on the ground floor. The hostel staff were polite and helpful and advised us that there was an Italian restaurant in town as my son was not keen on the dinner menu of chicken or vegetable curry although it smelt and looked lovely to me. The hostel is a few minutes walk from the centre of the town but far enough from the main road to not be bothered by traffic. The walls were thin and we were woken up early by a school party running around the hostel. Breakfast was lovely but as we only went in at 8.30 there was only one croissant left but there was plenty of cereals, hot breakfast etc. All in all it was a pleasant experience.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family