All reviews wood stove rhubarb restaurant peggy's cove fire pit wedding coordinator nova scotia the cottages entire weekend romantic weekend deck overlooking the ocean cozy room large balcony front office pots and pans bed frame few minutes drive haddock
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My husband and I were visiting Nova Scotia for 5 days and our hope was to travel around and see the sights. We stayed in the Grey Owl for one night and because it was unavailable after that first evening, we moved to the suite (I believe number 5). One positive comment was that we arrived at the airport at noon and in calling the resort, we requested an earlier check-in (which we were granted by an hour or so). The cottage on the water was lovely, quaint, and very clean. The breeze and sounds of the ocean were very soothing. It was unfortunate that we could not enjoy a fire on the beach but the hot, dry weather prevented this experience (understandable). The next day, we checked out and then checked into the suite above the restaurant. It was here where things did not go smoothly. As a suite, I expected a little more especially for what we paid. It was a larger room with a tiny opened section with a chair but not what I would have considered enough for the money we spent. The view was wonderful, however, and the deck area was quite large. The ample-sized window area facing the ocean did not have screens so the warmth and stuffiness of the room made sleeping very difficult. When my husband asked about this the next morning, he was met with understanding and an apology. It was a long day and after returning to the room at 7 pm, we were very somewhat pleased that one screen was added to the window (not enough to make a decent air flow) and disappointed that our room was not tidied (bed unmade and no exchange of towels). We are not picky people but when we do go on vacation, a special indulgence and expectation is that we have housekeeping in our room. When he went downstairs to ask about the situation, he was met with surprise that we had not requested housekeeping. Really??? He was given towels to bring up himself. He got the impression that these suites were newer and things were not well organized with the staff. In reading the reviews, we anticipated a complimentary breakfast. We were informed that this was not the practice anymore. Overall, I was not pleased with our experience at this resort. Aside from a brief trip to Peggy's Cove, there is nothing nearby that is worth the stay. I would have preferred only one night (at the cottage) and moved on to Lunenburg or Mahone Bay for another night or two.

Room Tip: The cottage - Grey Owl (at $290 per night) is pricey but for a stay on the water, it was very pleasant. Do not consider a suite (not worth the money and terrible service).
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
lizzie m, General Manager at Oceanstone Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thank you very much for your comments - I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in Grey Owl cottage, it is one of our most popular cottages right on the water. My sincere apologies for the issue with the room above Rhubarb Restaurant. We have resolved those issues and have better processes in place to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Thank you again for visiting, and again my apologies

Lizzie

Reviewed June 20, 2012

Peggy's Cove with its iconic lighthouse, wave polished granite and incredibly tiny cove filled with colourful fishing boats is Nova Scotia's most popular destination. During cruise ship season dozens of buses make their way along the winding road from Halifax and visitors can be overwhelmed by the crowds rather than the natural beauty of this place - it didn't become so famous without good reason. For decades there were no really good places to stay in the area unless you were camping or driving an RV. However that changed when Oceanstone opened about 15 years ago.

Originally a yoga retreat Oceanstone is comprised of a group of various size buildings set among a traditional south shore setting. The ocean views are terrific with Paddy's Head lighthouse, glacial erratics on small islands just offshore and plenty of various coloured seaweed. Best of all, it is only a few minute drive to Peggy's Cove where it will be possible to get there early in the morning or at sunset when the crowds are gone. Trust me, Peggy's Cove in good light without people is worth trying for.

The facility has recently reopened Rhubarb restaurant which is worth visiting on its own. There are no other decent restaurants in the area.

There are three cottages right on the water and these would be the natural first choice if available. They have firepits, decks with barbeques and fantastic views. Otherwise the choices are varied including three new rooms above the restaurant that also have great views.

Certainly Oceanstone is more expensive than other choices in the area but in our opinion worth it.

Room Tip: Try for one of the oceanfront cottages.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maritimeexplorer
Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

Poor service. Overpriced, very small portions. You will leave hungry and broke. You are better off to go to Peggy's cove. Excellent prices and food.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed February 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Oceanstone for three nights and just loved it.
We stayed in the Dovekey it has a fireplace, kitchen , deck, BBQ, Firepit on the beach.
The view is out of this world, location just a few miles from Peggys cove lighthouse, grocery store,lobster pound minutes away for 2 pound lobster cooked and ready to eat for like ten dollars.
Nova Scotia is so awesome, just love it there and this place works very well if you want to take day trips, save money making your own food and enjoying the local sight or just stay in and chillout. One thing - Oceanstone is very busy with weddings on weekends, so my advise would be stay here during the week Mon - Thursday and enjoy the peace and quite if you are on vacation plan accordingly.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jvspree
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I spent the 1st week of October at Oceanstone. It proved to be a very nice location. There are multiple cabins, most of which are divided into separate halves or upper and lower levels. I was fortunate to have a view of the Atlantic Ocean from my room, Many of the units had small kitchinettes. Although slightly rustic, the rooms were very comfortable, and could readily accomodate 2 people. Unfortunately the restaurant was closed for the season. I found the staff to be very helful and friendly. Neat place!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business