All reviewswood stoverhubarb restaurantpeggy's covefire pitwedding coordinatornova scotiathe cottagesentire weekendromantic weekenddeck overlooking the oceancozy roomlarge balconyfront officepots and pansbed framefew minutes drivehaddock
Reviewed August 31, 2017 via mobile

I had been longing to stay at Oceanstone after following their Instagram account. Our suite was over the restaurant, Rhubarb. The room was beautiful and comfortable and had a great view from the balcony. The balcony/deck seemed to need a bit of an update but it didn't impact our stay at all. The food at the restaurant was amazing, and we walked down to the beach after supper. Close to Peggy's Cove & just a beautiful location. Would love to go back with other families and rent a cottage.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2017

We only booked 1 night and chose this location as it was only 5km from Peggy's Cove. I called the resort to let them know we would be arriving after 6pm and they said if we were later they would just leave the key for us, so it wasn't a problem.

We arrived just after 6pm and were greeted by Austin. He said that since the resort wasn't full he was going to offer us a free upgrade. We were give the Hollyhock #1 which was a fully efficient suite with a kitchenette and it had a view of the ocean.

Austin also called the Rhubarb restaurant for us and made reservations. He was very nice and helpful.

The room was clean, quiet and comfortable.

In the evening we went to the shared outdoor fireplace and enjoyed a nice evening by the fire listening to the waves crashing on the shore.

I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2017

We were looking forward to staying at the Oceanstone Resort, but quickly became disappointed. We were not told that the room we booked was above the restaurant which is really on the roadside and not really in the complex (check out map). Then we were told to park down in the common parking area and follow the path up hill to the restaurant and you are on second floor which was more than a normal amount of stairs. Not an easy task for limited mobility seniors. The room was lavishly decorated but oh so small. Check out pic of Rhubarb 3. What you see is what you get for space. You could barely walk around the room. Just a large bed, bureau and two end tables, and the little space we had there was a large portable air conditioner there, this was placed to the right of the window just before bathroom. Not a sitting chair in the room. You can see how close the bed was to the wall and that footboard was so close to the bureau, you could not help but wack it on the way to the bathroom. So we had our options stand or go to bed. The tv did not work so at this point I was going to call the front office and no phone. My cell phone did not work nor did wifi. ( when you got close to the reservation office it worked) Oh and did I say that it was very noisy from the restaurant below? As pretty as it was it was. It was not comfortable at all. I did express my concern the next day at the desk that they need to explain the stair situation to people when they are making reservations. The woman at the desk sympathized with me and refunded 20%, but it would have been better if they were upfront about the room. I have learned something though I ask if there is an elevator if on second floor.

Room Tip: Noisy and small rooms
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank linny7272
Susan W, President at Oceanstone Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2017

Dear Linny7272,

Thank you for your feedback and we apologize that you were not informed of no elevator- Our Rhubarb Rooms do have stairs to access the units- we most certainly would have assisted with baggage for you. We do appreciate that Rhubarb 3 is one of our smaller rooms, we do have a variety of sizes on the property and accessible spaces as well. With regard to the wifi, we were not aware but had our system addressed as soon as we heard. The TV is sometimes confusing with the remote and we will investigate asap if the instructions are there which certainly come in handy. We are glad that you did enjoy the decor but certainly understand that the size was not what you were looking for.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly when you are returning to the area.

Take care,

Susan & your Oceanstone Team

Reviewed August 18, 2017 via mobile

Oceanstone Resort is just outside Peggy's Cove , Nova Scotia. The resort has several cottages with breathtaking views of the Cove and ocean. We were able to seat near the shore while having a glass of wine as the sunset on a beautiful day. The landscaping is wonderful and staff extremely helpful. The restaurant is just as wonderful and is award winning. The fish and chips were the best I have ever had outside of home.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Susan W, President at Oceanstone Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2017

Thank you so much for your review of Oceanstone and we are so happy that you had a relaxing time by the ocean and enjoying a glass of wine sounds like a perfect way to take it all in! We love hearing that are staff are helpful and we will pass on your comments to Rhubarb!

We look very forward to having you back with us!

Your Oceanstone Team

Reviewed August 9, 2017

We were very disappointed with this resort. We stayed in three of there accommodations over 3 days. Our first 2 bedroom was dirty and had stained sheets on our bed. The shower was very small - you could not turn in the cubicle - but the worst was the dirty stained shower floor. We wore our beach shoes in the shower so we wouldn't catch anything! The love-seat covers were dirty and had sand and food debris between the cushions. There was no air conditioning. In general, we had a very poor sleep.I have no problem with shabby or rustic accommodations, however, I do want clean. This room cost $400.00 per night!!
The next accommodation was a cottage on the ocean - OMG. We were greeted with a freshly washed floor. The carpet was filthy, some windows had no screens ,someones potato chips were left on the window sills, stained sheets, not enough towels for the number of guests. We did not have room service to clean the cottage while we were there and had to ask for fresh towels.Again no air conditioning. The wedding rehearsal party was set up outside our cottage - directly outside our bedroom windows. The party went on until 5 am , but the real happy time was the 3 am fight. The loud speaker was placed outside our cottage and music played for the night. If we had had a choice we would have left. The next morning, the resort staff were picking up the debris from the party at 7:30 am. No opportunity for any sleep. The last day was no better - music started bright and early and then the after party of the wedding continuing outside our cottage. There were many other places for these parties - why they would choose outside a paying guests cottage is beyond me. The sewer was backing up and the smell permeated everywhere - however it is located about 20 feet from this cottage. A repair person was there trying to solve the issue. Our luck or did someone hate us? This experience cost us $1000.00
Under no circumstances would I recommend this place nor would I ever stay again.
The ocean setting is beautiful, however, it does not make up for our expensive experience.
We also had the pleasure of dining at Rhubarb restaurant and I would say the overall it was good except for one server who was very rude. Funnily enough she was not our server, however she made a point of coming to our table to tell us that the 10 month old baby would destroy the drink menu and grabbed it out of our hands - " these are expensive". Amazing!! Our server was lovely. I wish I had her name I would love to add it to the review.

party was set up outside our cottage

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank travelmontreaLL
Susan W, President at Oceanstone Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay at Oceanstone while you were attending a wedding on the property.

We apologize sincerely for any of the housekeeping issues that you experienced which was unacceptable. We are look at all matters that you listed. As a seaside property, some of our units do not have air conditioning and we apologize that you experienced a sleepless night due to the heat.

We unfortunately have no control over the wedding accommodations that the couple chooses to place guests in. They also chose where the gathering was going to be- the entire resort was booked by the wedding group and unfortunately the noise was from that party.

The septic tank was pumped on that day and unfortunately there is an unpleasant smell that is associated with that- we had it completed as quickly as possible.

Again, we apologize that you did not have a positive experience at Oceanstone, we truly appreciate your feedback and would appreciate the opportunity to connect with you personally.

Yours very sincerely,