“Jamaica off the beaten path”

Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Treasure Beach
Reviewed 7 November 2012

We were always skeptical of Jamaica. Heard about these very expensive fenced in resorts and and that it wasn't the safest place for travelers. I read an article in the NY Times about undiscovered Jamaica and decided to bring our family to Jake's at Treasure Beach. We LOVED THIS PLACE. We flew from NYC non stop to Montego Bay and rather than renting a car the hotel picked us up from the airport and we embarked on about a beautiful 90 minute ride through the heart of the island. We stopped on the way for some jerk chicken. Unbelievable shack on the side of the road. When we got to the hotel we just fell in love with the place. it is laid back, beautiful, and very very unique. We had an amazing 5 day vacation. Felt very safe the whole time really felt like we got a sense of the community. We stayed in the Octopu**y right on the ocean. Slept like a baby. It was a little tight with my wife and our 7 year old but we managed. We took a few day trips, went snorkling, went through the river to see crocodiles, went fishing at sunrise and went to the Pelican Bar which has to be seen to be believed. We walked around the streets for coffee and breakfast, had an amazing massage at the spa but mostly just hung out at the pool or the beach and drank dark and stormy's had crab, lobster, and pizza at jack sprats. My 7 year old kid loved it. Met some other kids and played football and soccer with them. Overall, I would go back in a heartbeat. A lot of love went into building this place and you can feel it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kurt D

Reviewed 6 September 2012

My boyfriend and I were so looking forward to our stay at Jakes. The hotel was recommended to us by a friend, as we were looking for a small resort with a rustic feel. This certainly was that!

We stayed in one of the three Octop Honeymoon Suites. Upon first entry the place was amazing! Colorful decor, comfy bed, two levels, and of course doors and a tiled deck that open right to the sea! So calm - you hear nothing but the waves crashing on the rocks. Bliss!

However, we soon realized that for what we were paying for our End of Year/New Years stay - things could have been a little better. First of all, like other reviews have mentioned, the mosquitoes were horrible! We tucked and pulled and did what we could to make sure we were sealed each night, but we always awoke with bites (even while wearing stinky bug spray to bed) The bugs also made it nearly impossible to enjoy the deck by night, or have windows open. We were forced to use the AC (which I was happy we had!) and this drowned out the ocean sounds a bit. We tried using the fan but this was also old and run down. We had staff members come to the room twice during our stay to tighten and apply oil to try and stop the squeaking.

I LOVED the outdoor shower and tub. I think I showered twice a day each day of our stay just because it was so refreshing and invigorated! Watch out for passing fisherman boats! Or don't...this is vacation after all - relax!

However, on a downside to the bathroom - we realized this was going to be a more rustic stay, but that did not mean we needed to smell the bathroom. I do not know if we were close to pipes, but there was a unfortunate smell of sewage that made its way in and out of our entire suite throughout our stay - day and night. Again - this took away from the calming sea atmosphere a bit.

I found the food to be simple and fresh during the stay. It is true that if you are there for more than three days in a row you will see repeated options. My companion became quite bored with meal time after day 2 as we were just making our way back and forth between Jakes and Jack Sprats. The prices are jacked up as this is tourist central for the area. It would have been nice to be clued in on some more local spots.

It is definitely true that there is not much to do in the area. The hotel does not have a beach nor water that seems safe to swim in as the coast is all rock around Jakes. There is a very small and exposed beach in front of Jack Sprats and a smaller beach with rocky sand just past Jack Sprats. There is a small pool in the main area (which also has WiFi) but it was a bit over run with kids during our stay. I did not swim but I was amused by the giggling kids. You can hire locals to take you on a private boat to see various sights or lunch on private beaches - but expect to pay premium prices. (which we did and still had a great time despite the price) There is also a spa on sight which I unfortunately did not take advantage of.

I do want to mention the incredible staff at Jakes. Everyone was incredibly nice and went out of their way to make our stay amazing. My boyfriend arrived with a terrible cold and they provided me with meds for him. We were always greeted with smiles and they did their best to help with issues in the room.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank TMC2150
Jakeshotel, Manager at Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Thank you for your feedback. As we continue to improve our product and service, it is through the comments of our valued guests that help us to do so. We apologize for all the negative experience you encountered during your stay. We will ensure that upon your return to Jakes we will have rectified all the issues you experienced. However, due to the tropical climate we can only try to continue to minimize the mosquitoes.

Management and Staff of Jakes

Reviewed 5 September 2012

I was pretty excited about my stay at Jake's. After all my research I was looking forward to the eclectic surroundings that I had read all about. And it was almost exactly what I expected...except for my room. I stated in tiki 1 which was in a fabulous location in the property, the view of sunset was amazing and just down the path was Jack Spratts. But the room itself lacked all of the character I was expecting. The pool, restaurant and reception area were fantastic, but I felt the room was lacking that special something that I heard so many great things about. I would still recommend staying, maybe just have a look at the rooms first. It's definately a property worth looking at.

Room Tip: Do your research when you get there
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo

Thank you for your comment. We recommend that when making your next reservation with us, you request one of our Sally Henzell designed rooms. Or once you have arrived we can show you one of our more eclectic rooms.

Management and Staff

Reviewed 30 August 2012

We had a peaceful, fun and relaxing stay at Jake's this past weekend. Our room (Cockles Up), although it was small, had a stunning view of the sea and a private balcony to relax on. The only thing left to be desired was a proper mosquito net. Ours had holes throughout and didn't close properly around the bed so my poor husband was badly bitten throughout the night! Despite this, I still recommend Jake's as a beautiful place to stay that is off the beaten track in an often overlooked parish. We hope to return soon (with our own mosquito net!)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

We appreciate you feedback and sincerely apologize for the breakdown in our service. One your next visit we will ensure there are no holes in the mosquito net and will not have to bring your own. It is our responsibility to provide amenities that are free from holes, which is not part of the standard here at Jakes.

Management and Staff

Reviewed 27 August 2012

I booked a room at Jakes for the final few days of my holiday travelling around Jamaica. The whole holiday and my experience of Jamaica and its warm friendly people was just wonderful, and Jake's was just the perfect end to a perfect holiday. The oceanfront room was wonderfully rustic but extremely comfortable, peaceful and private with the most beautiful view and large patio. Everybody at Jake's was so friendly and helpful,they just could not have been better. The restaurant served delicious food with friendly service at tables overlooking the cliffs and sea,and it was so relaxing to sit with a drink at the bar and listen to the sounds of the sea. The whole Treasure Beach area was so quiet and beautiful and Jake's fitted the surroundings so perfectly and I cannot imagine a better place to stay. I thought it was excellent value for money as it had all the amenities that could have been required, but in a rustic and tranquil setting.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank val072
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Mum and I arrived here after four hour drive from Kingston. Weary and thirsty and was greeted by the most amazing, friendly and relaxed staff. The courtesy melon juice was amazing and became addicted. It was a great start to a two hotel stay we had planned and thank goodness we started here first. Loved the rooms and whole set up. The food, bar the Callaloo soup which was of poor standard, was amazing. Didn't like the pool and really missed having a conventional beach I.e. sandy. Nonethess we had agreat time and woulda like to say a big thank you to Chris and the rest of the staff for making us feel so welcomed. Chris, loved the poems and hope to one day see these published.

Sadly would not return here due to fear of cats. There was just too many of them and this just stressed me out.

Sass

Room Tip: Room with balcony was great.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sassikia H
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We had been to half moon bay earlier in the year which is the compete opposite of Jake's in style, location, size, feel, all of it. We loved half moon but also enjoy smaller, off the beaten path hotels. We stayed at a house down the road from jakes that they own and manage. Our house was perfect, four large bedrooms, perfect pool and literally steps from the beach. Staff came to clean every morning and Dennis cooked amazing food for us. It is Jamaica at its purest, you really can't get much more local in feel. The hotel itself has NO beach so with my kids I am very glad we were at the house. Also, the small saltwater hotel pool isn't ideal to use but cool to look at. Jake's is a two hour drive from Montego Bay airport along small,, bumpy roads but the views are beautiful!! You really get to see the country and while it's not an ideal place for say two nights, I found the drive gorgeous and interesting. The spa is small but great treatments, products. I had a massage in a room with three walls listening to the waves. It's an eclectic crowd and hotel. If you want traditional resort this is not the place for you. The mosquitoes were pretty bad. Overall we had a wonderful trip with beautiful scenery, kind people but it's off the beaten path and missing anemities of resort that some people may miss!

• Stayed: March 2012
72.3 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
76.1 km away
Travellers Beach Resort

Been to Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!