“PMBL trip”

Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Treasure Beach
Reviewed 24 August 2017

Food service was amazing, staff is incredibly welcoming and kind, overall awesome place. They were very accommodating with my gluten free allergy i brought them bread everyday which they kindly took in and were 100% ready to take extra time to make sure i had a good meal i could eat.

Room Tip: rooms looks small but has good storage space
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank andrewpinto10

Reviewed 24 August 2017

I've come to Jake's for two straight years and am looking forward to coming back next year. The relaxed nature of the hotel and the staff is the best retreat from my normal day-to-day. The Pelican Bar is a must-visit!

Room Tip: All of the villas are great
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2017

I have been a customer of Jakes Hotel for over 20 years. Jakes over the years it has continued to hold a very special place in my heart. I always recommend this hotel to friends, family and co workers. However, my most recent stay has shaken my trust in the property and I am writing this review so others can be aware of mediocre customer care offered to dissatisfied customers at Jakes

We were a group of 6 and stayed at Treasure Cot for the dates July 24 to 31, 2017. When our reservation was made, we made a special request to have the room with the twin beds placed together to accommodate a couple. Upon check in this was not done and my first nights rest was disrupted after a very long day of travel and airline delays. Additionally, the bed was covered in dirt and lizard poop, suggesting that the sheets had not been changed for some time.
The next morning we met with an employee who informed us he was employed as care taker and would be taking care of us during our visit as well as assisting our maid with cleaning chores. We asked to meet with our housekeeper / cook and were informed she was ill and would not be coming in to work. For a side note, it must be understood that we booked the treasure cottage to take advantage of having local food cooked for us daily. He however was able to put both beds together and change the linens in the third bedroom.

On Wednesday morning we met another person acting in the role of housekeeper, but whom was sent from Sea dragon property. Again when we asked about meals we were informed that our cook was still ill. At this point we asked to speak with someone and met with the Villa Manager. I voiced my disappointment with her and explained that when we booked, we chose treasure cot to take advantage of having someone cook us local meals. Additionally we spoke at length with her with regards to the condition in which the house was found upon check in and the fact that certain services had been lacking since our check in. I also showed her the condition of the kitchen and the general disrepair of cabinets, the dirty condition of the common areas and the kitchen especially the microwave. Room wash cloths were not refreshed daily, floor mats were simply being turned over while dirty and general daily upkeep was lacking. She addressed some of the concerns and immediately made arrangements for us to have breakfast the next morning.

On Thursday we were finally able to meet the housekeeper for the treasure cot property who cooked us a delicious breakfast and did general cleaning. On Thursday I spoke at length with her about needing towels, floor mats and linens refreshed, and left for a day trip to the Pelican Bar. When we returned we noted that nothing was done. On Friday morning we again spoke to the housekeeper, who informed us that the caretaker for Treasure Cot had been sick the previous day and as a result she was unable to get fresh towels, linens etc because he was the person who had access to the supplies. Additionally she mentioned that the washing machine for Treasure Cot was broken and ultimately she was crippled in her ability to honor my requests. Again I summoned for the Villa Manager and spoke with her at length about the ongoing issues. I pointed out that my bed linens had not been changed and she retorted they had been changed on Tuesday. It was in fact Friday. We ate breakfast again and set out for another day trip to Ys Falls. Upon our return, while the beds had been made, etc the trash was not removed from the kitchen.It was left open and fruit flies were everywhere. Additionally it was noted that the bed linens in the third bedroom remained unchanged. I walked over to the main property and spoke with the general manager and had a long conversation in which we detailed our ongoing experiences and dissatisfaction. He sent someone over who removed the trash from the kitchen, but never replaced the liner. Saturday morning the general manager arrived with the villa manager and asked if he could walk through the property with myself, and the staff to give a better understanding of the short comings and show him exactly what was wrong. Yet again I went through and brought to their attention the issues we had been having.At this point we had already personally cleaned the kitchen and the cabinets. So we were unable to show the original condition to the general manager. But still in the end nothing was truly done to improve our experience and the staff overall used zero service recovery gestures to appease us.

Overall in addition to the above mentioned issues, it can also be noted that ;

1.We had our first meal prepared on day 4 of our stay. Also, note that the Villa Manager told us we had to request in advance to have a cook available. And a menu provided. This information was never passed on to us, nor was a menu offered for inspection even after the fact. We had booked Treasure 2 months in advance.

2.The fact that the housekeeper changed daily until Thursday, meant no one was aware of what had been done and therefore simply neglected to carry out certain daily tasks. For example changing linens.

3.The kitchen cabinets and cupboard had to be cleaned by us.

4.Our vacation felt like a job in itself with regards to daily coordinating with staff who seemed untrained to carry out tasks. Repeated daily requests had to be made to ensure basic amenities were refreshed etc.

5.Beach towels were not changed until Saturday( after a verbal request)

6.Coffee was replenished only twice during our stay. We spent a total of 7 nights

7.The microwave was dirty and had to cleaned prior to use

8.WiFi service was sub par and depending on time of day, no one could be reached to rectify. We went over 24 hours without service at times

9.Wash cloths were ripped and towels had the fabric eaten away.

10.Pots and pans in the kitchen were in poor condition

11.Kitchen sponge and towels were old and dirty (luckily I had brought my own)

12.There is an abundant of cockroaches and nymph especially at night

13.Walls were covered in Lizard poop and cobwebs, suggesting a general lack of deep cleaning.

14.Bed linens especially pillow cases in master and queen room are permanently stained yellow.

15.Sofa and chairs covers are stained with dirt and need deep cleaning.

16.Hammock cover is extremely dirty.

17.Window sills and Closets were dirty

18. Refrigerator worked poorly, items never got cold

19. The drain to the queen bedroom was blocked because it was never cleaned.

20. While the floors were swept daily, the floors were not mopped until Sunday morning

To date even after communicating directly with various persons from the management team, nothing was truly done to rectify the situation and we all felt extremely disappointed in the hotel and felt the management had not delivered on the advertised experience. Our expectations had not been met. At a minimum the resort should have offered a discount to us for the services that they failed to deliver, and especially for the unavailability of our cook until the 4th day of our stay. At $395 per night, we know the Treasure Cot is below standards.

Needless to say myself, and my 5 friends and family memebers have now fallen out of love with Jakes, and will probably never return.

Room Tip: Book the main property. You will probably have better service.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank muffyThomas
Jakeshotel, General Manager at Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Hello muffyThomas,

Firstly I would like to thank you for your patronage of Jakes over the years, I also appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your stay, however there are many things mentioned that needs clarification.
The beds in the room that has 2 beds were put together however we did not cover both with one bed pad and one sheet (which should have been done) and this was done after you brought it to our attention. Your sheets were clean upon your arrival as your villa was inspected….like all our expected arrivals are. You were advised that as part of our environmental policy sheets are changed every other day and towels will only be changed when left on the floor. Your beach towels (for example) were always hung up after use and therefore were only changed after you complained because the staff did not know your desire based on them being hung up always. Your floors were in fact mopped every day however because your group were out enjoying various attractions on the south side of the island you did not observe this until your last full day staying with us when you did not leave the villa that day. When the Villa Manager went to see what the issue was with the pots in the Villa (which had been recently replaced prior to your arrival) you told her that what the issue actually was that none of the pots were large enough for you to make a stew and she went and brought a large pot for you to use. When we spoke at about 7pm on Friday evening in the lobby at Jakes you advised that you had prepared some fruit and as a result there were fruit flies following the garbage which you then put in the yard. I sent someone to remove that trash bag from the yard (which he did) however on Sunday you told another Manager while you were at Jakes that our staff threw the trash unto someone else’s property next door which was incorrect. You also told that manager that you asked me not to come to the Villa with the Villa Manager however I never advised you that I was going to come and inspect the Villa the following day…that supposed conversation never happened. As far as coffee replenishment that is only done if you are staying on the property as everyone staying at the Villas and or Cottages off property have to purchase their food depending on what they want to eat and you were made aware of this as well.

Were there things that we could have done and communicated better absolutely and unfortunately the fact that the main housekeeper for that Villa was sick did not help the situation but we did provide someone to prepare meals and you advised them that you wanted to prepare some of the meals which is fine, just like you told them what bathmats etc. to change and not to change. In an email that I sent to you a day after you left we made an offer for the challenges real and perceived that you had during your stay however you have never responded to this email. Jakes does not take poor service or unhappy guests lightly and will always work with everyone to reasonably address legitimate concerns however any organization will be hard pressed to satisfy a customer who keeps moving the goal posts.

We stand by our service and our (by far) majority of satisfied guests continue to attest to this.

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

I adore this hotel. It was such a pure experience of Jamaican life, well integrated with the natural surroundings, with a pure sense of commitment to both environment and heritage. The food was excellent, the service exemplary, and even though the weather was not the best, our stay was amazing. I loved that they only turned on the hot water when it rained! I know that might sound strange in a review, but the hotel is designed to provide an authentic experience and it certainly does!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nikki B
Reviewed 12 August 2017

Spent a few days on our honeymoon on the South Coast and chose Jakes of course! Bumped into Jason (the owner) on arrival along with former world Heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis - nice surprise start to the vacation! As ever (I have stayed here before) Jakes offers unsurpassed rustic charm. We stayed at Octopus 3 - right by the sea and you can lie in bed listening to the waves crashing onto the rocks. Magical! Oh and the old victorian bath/shower outside was delightfully charming. Make sure you eat at Jack Sprats restaurant next door and try the curried conch - its the best! We indulged in a Thai massage at the Spa too which was delightfully invigorating. Nestled side-by-side with the local community, Jakes continues to be a destination with a difference - far away from the loud all-inclusives on the North coat, it is truly one of Jamaica's very magical spots!

Room Tip: The Honeymoon Suites right on the seafront are awesome - and more private.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 13Darren101
Reviewed 11 August 2017

We stayed at Jakes Hotel from 25/07/17 – 26/07/17 and had quite a few issues with our room.

1. Hotel was unable to find our booking
2. Biting ants and lizard droppings on our bed
3. Fridge not working
4. Shower drainage slightly blocked
5. Girlfriend got scratched by rusted rivets lifting off the bathroom door

On arriving at Jakes Hotel the receptionist was unable to find our reservation which resulted in quite a long wait. We had to email the reservation emails which we had from TripAdvisor to the receptionist so that she could find out what happened to our booking which was booked early this year. We was then given a hotel room which was upgraded so thought everything would be ok. On entering our room everything seemed fine until we noticed lizard droppings and biting ants on our bed. We reported this to the receptionist who sent the cleaner up to the room to check. At this point it would have been better to give us another room which wasn’t done.

On returning to our room that evening we found that the room had been cleaned and the lizard droppings and ants had disappeared, but as known with ants if you don’t find the nest they most likely to return which we found out and was waken up in the morning with ants crawling over our pillows and face. We have video evidence of the ants and lizard droppings as this should have been resolved the night before.

We had breakfast the following morning at Jakes hotel only to find that when my girlfriend's breakfast was served it was cold so had to send it back to get it heated up.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark M
Reviewed 26 July 2017

I NEVER write reviews. As I was on the plane coming home, I realized that this place deserves all the praise! My husband and I booked Jakes for our 6th anniversary, first trip in 6 years without our daughter. Were are not the "all-inclusive" type, and were looking for relaxation, beauty, nature and good food. Jakes is the place! From the moment we arrived, met the owner, Jason, everything was wonderful. The property looks like a fairyland, the staff (Christopher, Adrien, Kerry, Janet, Richard, Daron, Damien) were all super friendly and helpful. One of the best things to do is take a boat ride out to the Pelican Bar and I highly recommend Captain Joseph's boat tours. After that, have a sunset dinner at Eggy's beach front restaurant (best lobster curry in the WORLD) He is the man and can tell you everything you need to know about the rich history of St. Elizabeth. This place is off the beaten path, charming, and one-of-a-kind. If this is what you are looking for, please go experience Jakes!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
72.3 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
76.1 km away
Travellers Beach Resort

Been to Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!