MycoMeditations Psilocybin-Assisted Retreats
Review Highlights
Amazing People

The people that facilitate these retreats are some of the best people I’ve ever met. Thank you Myco.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
JosiahCR
20 years of therapy in a week

Myco meditations is truly a life changing experience, which is professionally and empathetically... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
C6194OFsarahw

Recommended experiences in and around Jamaica
from US$20.00
from US$10.14
from US$22.50
from US$109.00
More Info
All reviews life changing mental health profound experience support staff blue marlin meditation practice group setting didn t know week long retreat supportive environment my entire life personal growth change your mind move forward adult life two months far exceeded my expectations
Selected filters
Reviewed September 27, 2019

Sorry if this is sort of "sciency" but this should put hesitant people at ease.

I am a physician. I have struggled with major depressive disorder for over 20 years, and was having a rough time of it early in 2019. There is much promising preliminary research using psilocybin for depression. I qualified for a trial at Johns Hopkins, but could not stay in Baltimore for the requisite 6 months, so I went to Mycomeditations.
1. The setting is safe. Facilitators stay with guests till the mushroom effect is gone.
2. The dosing is done rationally. Using mushrooms, there is significant variability in psilocybin content. The crop of mushrooms is dried and pulverized, and placed into 500mg capsules. Dosing is done 3 times. The first dose is modest, enabling the participant and the facilitators, especially Eric, to gauge the individual's response to that particular batch. Eric has an uncanny instinct, based on experience. My subsequent doses were exactly what I needed.
3. There are no legal issues whatsoever, as psilocybin mushrooms are legal in Jamaica. Believe it or not, cannabis is actually illegal in Jamaica.
4. The food, accommodations at the Blue Marlin and Coquina are first rate.
5. Treasure Beach is a very safe area.

Overall, I think Mycomeditations is an excellent option for therapeutic psilocybin. There is time for and emphasis on preparation and integration.

So what happened to me.... I gained profound insight into some early childhood events that have plagued me. The first 2 1/2 months were the best my mood has ever been. Unfortunately the depression recurred, but is nowhere near as bad as it had been. I am back on antidepressants and doing well. My experience is similar to some of the results from Imperial College. Some people are fine up to a year or more, and some have recurrent depression, requiring treatment. Some patients have sought more therapeutic psilocybin. It is as yet unknown if repeated psilocybin sessions will lead to longer and perhaps durable remissions.

I am planning to return to Mycomeditations for another week sometime in 2020, and would recommend it highly for those seeking a safe legal option.

Date of experience: June 2019
3  Thank whatmeworry
ljubsify, Business Director at MycoMeditations Psilocybin-Assisted Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2020

Hi there,

Thank you for writing a review. It means a lot to us.

It's good to know that even though some depressive states may have come back that you feel as though you haven't sunk into it as low as before. Healing is a lifelong journey—there's layers upon layers of work within ourselves.

We're happy to know that you still found value in your experience, and hopefully this experience has helped continue on a path of growth that is most helpful for you.

Wishing you all the best,

The MycoMeditations Team

Reviewed September 26, 2019

I read a bit about psilocybin before the trip in August 2019. I saw a high percentage of people ranking the psilocybin experience as a life changing event in the JHU study. Obviously, I went to the retreat with a high expectation and also a nagging fear that my expectations might turn out to be unrealistic, which happened way too many times before in my life :-).

However, mushrooms literally blew my mind away!!

Kudos to the whole staff team… Everyone was warm and professional. The leading guy Justin has expansive experience with mushrooms and is an expert in leading retreats in general. It was a pleasure to speak with him every time. Knowing that I am a yogi, he even introduced me to a book on psychedelic interpretation of Bhagavad Gita. Who would know such a book even exists? I cannot thank enough to other supporting staff for their warm support during the journey.

I also made quite a few friends with fellow retreaters. Everyone came with a different set of reasons but eventually the journey brought us very close together, in a way similar to soldiers bonding with each other in a battlefield.

For the newbies out there like me (I never had these substances before), I think this retreat is a unique opportunity for a number of reasons. The three doses make a lot of sense in the hindsight. The first dose is really to make sure you can take it safely without major medical/mental issues. The team will manage your expectation on the first dose :-) Then you dive deeper in the second dose. If you want even more, there is a third dose. And yes, it should take a whole week in case you are wondering. You need the time to rest and integrate.

I did 3 grams the first time, 6 grams the second time, and 12 grams in the third time. As many people pointed out, these experiences are beyond words, especially for a non-native English speaker :-) However, if I use only one word to describe theme of each trip, I’d say the first trip was “artistic”, the second one was “emotional”, and the third time was “spiritual”. Around the peak time during the third trip, I literally visualized neurons firing, connecting, accessing long-forgotten corners of my brain, making the biggest and brightest fire I have ever seen, all with eyes closed and a pair of eyeshades on. Everything in my life started to make sense. All my sufferings seemed so trivial. There was no slightest trace of negative emotions such as depression, resentment, jealousy or anger. My heart was filled with profound mixed senses of gratitude, love, and sympathy. I’d say this is the way life should be :-). I felt even physically stronger and lighter.

Some logistic recommendations from my experience (may not apply to other people obviously): The JHU playlist of mostly classical music can be very helpful. Without it, my mind tends to make its own background music, which is not always pretty. The music list has a sublime quality that kept me above water when the internal “whitewater rafting” journey got rough. If you use airpods, make sure it is fully charged and can last 4-5 hours. A soft low pillow to keep your head in the right place, eliminating another potential distraction. Make sure to bring a towel for tears and sweat. If you are a yogi, some pranayama techniques such as ujjayi breath can be your best friend. If you do meditation regularly, that’s a great asset during the trip because it helps you to “let go” of things and keeps you calm in occasional unpleasant situations.

A month later, some of my self-abusing habits were broken and stayed that way so far. I am already thinking about planning another trip!

Date of experience: August 2019
8  Thank Hoboken_Traveller_11

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to share a review of us :)

We're glad to hear about your experience and all the positives you received. Thanks for sharing so that others can know about a week at MycoMeditations.

Take care!

Reviewed September 19, 2019

For me, MycoMeditations created a safe, supportive, beautiful place where I could look at past, current and future possibilities. With compassion, experience and great food, the organization strived to nurture me, as I looked inward and healed. I feel very fortunate to have found them and the time I spent there. The experience was invaluable to me and I'll continue to build on what I did there.

For those wondering about choosing between comfort and basic, I can tell you I stayed in basic, due to the fact that was all that was available at the time (they book out months in advance it appears). Thankfully, AC had recently been installed in many rooms and I was fortunate to have one of these :) It was mid September and the sun strong. Beyond that there was little that was "basic". Traditional delicious food was prepared with various needs respected (vegetarian, gluten free, etc). I was even able to order an organic smoothie from close by farm/restaurant. We went out as a group to some great restaurants, as well. Whether comfort or basic, you will be well cared for.

Date of experience: September 2019
3  Thank Galina K

Hi Galina,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review, it means a lot.

You were such a pleasure to have on the retreats and you offer so much to the group. We're thrilled that you go so much from your experience.

Reviewed September 18, 2019

My trip to Jamaica for one of the Mycomeditations retreats was a great experience for me. Unfortunately, I was one of the rare ones that didn't have any mystical or spiritual experiences or profound insights. I am confident though that the psilocybin was and still is changing the neural pathways by re-wiring some of the connections between different parts of my brain. The people that run Mycomeditation retreats were very professional and very knowledgeable. There were 10 of us "guests" and 6 staff members during the sessions. A couple of the staff members were licensed counselors, 1 was a nurse and all seemed very knowledgeable in the way psilocybin effects the body and brain. During our dosing sessions (there were 3) all 6 staff were very alert to what was going on in the group (we all dosed at the same time and in the same outdoor area under shaded porches or pavilions). Each session was 5-6 hours and the staff never appeared bored or seemed to just be babysitting us. There was someone always available to sit and talk or just be with you if you felt like you needed it. I felt very safe and watched over, I knew they wouldn't let me do anything that might cause harm to myself. They were all very sensitive to what each of us were dealing with and were there to help us in anyway we needed. I felt they were all very present with us and focused on us the entire 5-6 hours. That really impressed me because I hadn't expected that level of care from the staff. I'm really glad I went. The other participants were a great group of people, all of them were there for mental or physical healing. Some had been through pretty traumatic events in their past that they were dealing with. Several had drinking or drug problems. We had group counseling sessions everyday and developed a very close bond, I consider everyone of them a friend. We have our own group on WhatsApp and so everyone is still connecting through it. I highly recommend MycoMeditations and hope to return at least once a year.

Date of experience: September 2019
4  Thank LDisme

Hello! Thank you for sharing a review about MycoMeditations.

It's great that even though you didn't have the mystical experience you may have been hoping for, that you still feel as though the experiences helped you nonetheless. A whole range of experiences can be helpful for us.

Thank you again for the time you spent to write a review. It means a lot to us!

Reviewed September 18, 2019

I sought this experience out in the hopes of healing my heart, mind and soul and walked away with that and so much more. I am forever grateful to the Mycomeditations staff, facilitators and to the wonderful friends I met while on retreat at Doranja House on Treasure Beach. I’d like to take use this opportunity to give a special thanks to Ms. Doreen and her family for opening up their piece of heaven on Earth to us. I’d also to like to thank Ben, Justin, Danny, Ruschiene and Matt for being amazing facilitators and for providing a safe and comfortable space for our group to heal and learn more about ourselves and each other.
I went to this retreat alone and always felt protected and safe. For anyone, looking to reconnect with themselves and others, to gain a greater appreciation of nature and of life as a whole, this retreat is highly recommended.
I look forward to my next visit to the Doranja House on Treasure Beach, Jamaica. Love you and miss you Lolo!!
MushLove!
-Maggie

Date of experience: August 2019
3  Thank Maglenny A

Hi there Maggie, thank you for your review.

It's so great to hear about how much you got out of the experience. It's from you and your willingness to heal with the help of the mushrooms...so congratulations to you :)