MycoMeditations Psilocybin-Assisted Retreats
Review Highlights
Wonderful!

One month after leaving April 2-9 classic retreat, my life continues to be transformed for the... read more

Reviewed yesterday
frankvA5121FQ
Life Changing

You need to come here. People who have spent a lifetime in therapy or on various forms of... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
chada1
Deerfield, Illinois
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Jamaica
from US$20.00
from US$10.14
from US$22.50
from US$109.00
More Info
All reviews life changing mental health profound experience my entire life blue marlin personal growth felt completely safe his team didn t know week long retreat far exceeded my expectations words fail each guest plant medicine beyond words group members long term
Selected filters
Reviewed October 17, 2019

Our Psychedelic mentors talk about the importance of set and setting. Setting first. Our seven day retreat was housed in three lovely villas right on the beach. The food was superb, the staff vey friendly, and Eric and Courtney have assembled a terrific crew including two therapists and a numner of local woman who are very attentive and all created a very safe environment. The set part refers to mindset. before and during the retreat, all 13 participants were encourage to deeply examine their motives for coming and their hopes for the experience. Of the 13 participants, at least 10, including me had experiences of profound and transformative insight. How to change your mind indeed!

Date of experience: October 2019
2  Thank fecklessfrank
ljubsify, Business Director at MycoMeditations Psilocybin-Assisted Retreats, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2020

Hey Frank!

Thanks for sharing and we're happy your week with us was filled with transformative insights. Thank you for taking the time to submit a review...it's greatly appreciated.

Reviewed October 16, 2019

I've struggled with treatment-resistant depression and anxiety my entire adult life. After a workplace trauma 2 years ago that resulted in a PTSD diagnosis, this spiraled into clinical depression so debilitating that I stopped showing up to work and subsequently lost my job.

I tried several antidepressants and half a dozen therapists, all of which provided little to no relief. 6 months ago I found a top-notch therapist who employed a combination of EMDR and CBT that finally helped some, but progress was slow. After reading some promising, albeit preliminary, research about the potential of psilocybin to treat PTSD, depression and anxiety, and after researching the risks (come to find out mushrooms are safer than many legal substances including alcohol, SSRIs, etc.), I looked into options to try this.

I signed up for MycoMeditations merely hoping it would create some neuroplasticity and catalyze the work I was doing in therapy. In the end this turned out to be the single most effective thing I've done for my mental health. I would describe it as 2-3 years of therapy bundled into a single week.

These are the top reasons I decided to try MycoMediations and why I recommended it to anyone struggling with mental health issues similar to mine:

1) Professional staff. I was a little uneasy about the idea of traveling as a woman by myself to a foreign country to take psychedelics for the first time, but as soon as I reached out to them, I knew I was in good hands. They're responsive, organized, well-informed and authentic. Nothing salesy or preachy. They set realistic expectations that psilocybin is a tool to assist you with challenges, not a cure-all.

2) Scientific approach. They base their approach on the latest findings in neuroscience and psychology research, as well as their experience guiding hundreds of guests through their psilocybin journeys. Nothing shamanic or airy-fairy, no "ceremonies". They did employ meditation, visualization and relaxation techniques, which helped set the tone for all 3 psilocybin sessions.

3) The group work. As someone with a lot of social anxiety, I was initially dreading this part (just give me the mushrooms, who wants to share their personal problems with a bunch of strangers?). But it turned out to be key to the experience. Justin is the perfect retreat leader and fostered an open, authentic and supportive environment where all group members were rooting for everyone else. Exchanging experiences with others throughout the week helped me integrate my psilocybin trips and gain additional insights. And post-retreat the group served as a key support system while I integrated back into "real life" and got back into full swing with a new job.

4) Individual consultation. Justin was very thorough asking about my history, medications, personality type, experience with psychedelics and goals for the retreat. This helped participants get the appropriate dose, which varies considerably from individual to individual, and it helped everyone get the individual support they needed throughout the week. If I had decided to go it on my own, which was an option I was also looking into, I would have gotten the dose completely wrong and gained little benefit. This support has continued after the retreat, as they've remained available for an integration call, questions, advice, etc.

5) Experienced guides for psilocybin sessions. Facilitators are very attentive and experienced. Justin and Ben have especially amazing skill and intuition, and knew exactly what I needed, often before I even knew. They appeared by my side at the perfect time to support me through difficult phases of the trip, or to talk/process what I had just experienced. My 3rd experience was what some would call a "bad trip" (others say challenging and I agree) related to my past trauma. Due to the excellent support and guidance I received during that experience, I was able to reframe the trauma in a way that it didn't disturb me as much anymore and I was gradually able to feel strong, absolved of guilt, and loved/accepted by those around me. This has greatly reduced my PTSD symptoms (fewer and less intense flashbacks, improved sleep).

I felt like an entirely new person when I returned from the retreat. More energy, better sleep (I've had terrible insomnia the last 2 years), productive (able to make plans and execute on them, which was a struggled before), reduced social anxiety, improved meditation, etc. It also seemed to spark newfound creativity... a few days after returning home, I bought a new wardrobe and decorated my home with art and house plants (much to the surprise of my husband!) because my surroundings felt so dull and I felt compelled to liven things up.

6 weeks after returning home, I'd say ~60% of the effects still remain. The effects do wane with time, but it's still stronger and longer lasting than anything else I've tried (and I feel like I've tried everything!). After 2 visits with my therapist, we decided I was ready to reduce sessions from weekly to biweekly and we recently reduced it to monthly check-ins.

I would encourage anyone struggling with depression, anxiety or PTSD to give this retreat a try, especially if therapy and/or medication just isn't cutting it. It's certainly not a panacea, but it markedly improved my mental health when nothing else helped.

Date of experience: August 2019
5  Thank FearlessJZ

Hi there!

Thank you for taking the time to write this extensive review of MycoMeditations retreats. It means a lot to us when we see past guests got so much out of their experience and decide to share about it. Reviews like your will help more people take the plunge into the journey of healing with psilocybin mushrooms.

We will continue to host the best psilocybin-assisted retreats possible!

Reviewed October 14, 2019

The retreat was very difficult for me but necessary. I am four weeks out from the retreat and am still seeing the benefits. I felt completely safe in the environment and during the psilocybin dose days. The facilitators were there if you needed them for any reason. Having knowledgeable facilitators during the integrations were a key part of the process and assisted me with the discoveries I was making about myself.

I have made connections with some wonderful people at the retreat and we are still in contact today.

I went to the comfort level retreat. The accommodations were very good. They were clean and the staff overseeing our comfort was excellent. I was nervous about going to Jamaica by myself but the team at MycoMeditations put that anxiety at rest by giving us travel information and helpful tips. We had the freedom to do what we wanted but we had optional day trips with some of the MycoMeditation team. MycoMeditation took care of all the logistics during our stay. I felt comfortable and safe.

I would do this retreat again!

Date of experience: September 2019
3  Thank NancyHCA

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for your review, and it's great hearing that you found relief from your experience. We appreciate the feedback and will continue to strive to deliver the best psilocybin-assisted retreats we can.

Take care :)

Reviewed October 1, 2019

I recently completed a week long psilocybin retreat produced by Mycomeditations in Jamaica. By any measure, it far exceeded my expectations. Without trying to sound maudlin, the experience was life changing.

The retreat operates at a very high level both in terms of content and support. The information we received regarding historical and current psilocybin use in psychotherapy was thoughtful, thorough and relevant.

The retreat leaders, therapists, and support staff were incredibly supportive and caring. A psilocybin experience can be, to say the least, a very emotional roller coaster. Never once did I feel unsafe. I knew I had experienced and attentive people around me for encouragement and emotional support.

As good as this retreat was overall, the greatest benefit came from the integration sessions that followed the psilocybin experiences. The integration sessions were productive and meaningful mostly because of the excellence of the staff who provided a safe space for us to process our experiences. I will be forever grateful.

For anyone seriously considering psilocybin therapy and don’t know where to start, I highly recommend looking into attending one of the upcoming MycoMeditation Retreats. You will not be disappointed.

Date of experience: September 2019
6  Thank elinchev

Hello,

Thank you for the review, and we're happy that we were able to provide you with a great retreat experience. Your words are deeply appreciated.

Thank you again!

Reviewed September 27, 2019

Sorry if this is sort of "sciency" but this should put hesitant people at ease.

I am a physician. I have struggled with major depressive disorder for over 20 years, and was having a rough time of it early in 2019. There is much promising preliminary research using psilocybin for depression. I qualified for a trial at Johns Hopkins, but could not stay in Baltimore for the requisite 6 months, so I went to Mycomeditations.
1. The setting is safe. Facilitators stay with guests till the mushroom effect is gone.
2. The dosing is done rationally. Using mushrooms, there is significant variability in psilocybin content. The crop of mushrooms is dried and pulverized, and placed into 500mg capsules. Dosing is done 3 times. The first dose is modest, enabling the participant and the facilitators, especially Eric, to gauge the individual's response to that particular batch. Eric has an uncanny instinct, based on experience. My subsequent doses were exactly what I needed.
3. There are no legal issues whatsoever, as psilocybin mushrooms are legal in Jamaica. Believe it or not, cannabis is actually illegal in Jamaica.
4. The food, accommodations at the Blue Marlin and Coquina are first rate.
5. Treasure Beach is a very safe area.

Overall, I think Mycomeditations is an excellent option for therapeutic psilocybin. There is time for and emphasis on preparation and integration.

So what happened to me.... I gained profound insight into some early childhood events that have plagued me. The first 2 1/2 months were the best my mood has ever been. Unfortunately the depression recurred, but is nowhere near as bad as it had been. I am back on antidepressants and doing well. My experience is similar to some of the results from Imperial College. Some people are fine up to a year or more, and some have recurrent depression, requiring treatment. Some patients have sought more therapeutic psilocybin. It is as yet unknown if repeated psilocybin sessions will lead to longer and perhaps durable remissions.

I am planning to return to Mycomeditations for another week sometime in 2020, and would recommend it highly for those seeking a safe legal option.

Date of experience: June 2019
3  Thank whatmeworry

Hi there,

Thank you for writing a review. It means a lot to us.

It's good to know that even though some depressive states may have come back that you feel as though you haven't sunk into it as low as before. Healing is a lifelong journey—there's layers upon layers of work within ourselves.

We're happy to know that you still found value in your experience, and hopefully this experience has helped continue on a path of growth that is most helpful for you.

Wishing you all the best,

The MycoMeditations Team