All reviewsski clubski busski storageon tapred winemost eveningsfree beer and winestops directlylift passesmin walkvaried menuski boot roomsingle roomski groupboth breakfast and dinnertown centrespa treatments
Reviewed January 12, 2017

Do not stay here if you are under 60 yo. This hotel is extremely old fashioned, no room service, no mini bar, the staff and guest are all very old people which means there is no activity going on. fitness place, bar, and pool and sauna are all poorly equiped and staffed.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2017

Just returned from a weeks stay at the hotel booked via crystal holidays. Wonderful stay at a first class hotel. The room (304) was clean with a lovely view. Bed very comfortable and bathroom a good size. Food was excellent with a choice of 3 meals each night, a good salad and drinks were included whilst eating. Live entertainment each night in a good size comfortable bar area. Service was spot on throughout the stay.
Very good Spa area with 3 sauna's, relaxing area and swimming pool. Hotel has a bus stop right outside which takes you to the various lifts. A walk into the town via the park opposite takes only a couple of minutes.
Lovely stay in a very good hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms have better view. Noise not a problem anywhere as in quiet area
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Crowley99
Reviewed January 4, 2017

As we all know, savings are needed in today's economy. This location is not the exception. For example:

-- a clear reduction in personnel. This is most evident in the dining room. Breakfast tables are no longer set in advance. So in addition to buffet service (which is normal) the diner must get their own cups, etc. Including coffee.
-- there are not enough personnel to clear plates from tables which is annoying in a buffet setting when diners use numerous utensils.
-- the dining service is problematic especially for the older clientele
-- the hotel is in dire need of refurbishment. The decor and carpets, including in the rooms, are aged. The sport/health areas also need updating.

On the up side,

-- while there has been considerable change in personnel, it is comforting to still find some of the "old hands". They clearly understand the meaning of service and the feeling of being welcomed.

-- while the bar area needs serious refurbishment (it looks and feels like the 1970's), the service is superb.

-- Walter still gives a a superior massage and, as in previous years, the beauty ladies are knowledgeable, professional and friendly. The reception knows its job and does it well with a smile.

-- the rooms are spacious, clean and functional.

My previous review still stands, but the cost cutting measures may have had a positive effect on the balance hotel balance sheet, but it has had an detrimental effect on the customer. While it has the potential, this not a four star facility.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2016

My family has been coming to Bad Hofgastein for over 30 years, so when my 83 year old grandma announced she wanted to make her last trip there, we made it a family affair. My sister, grandma, me and my cousin with baby stayed at the hotel for three nights.

The good:
- my mother had to cancel last minute, and they waived the cancellation fee.
- the dining and breakfast staff were incredibly friendly and helpful- they provided hot water and mashed fruits for my cousin's baby, always had a smile on their face, and in general were super attentive.
- they weren't the biggest, but their saunas are nice, especially if you come after dinner, before they close. The hotel pool is fun too.
- you can't beat the location. Behind the hotel, a little path starts along the Salzach and you can hike over to Badgastein. Or you walk through the park into town. Or to the Kurzentrum etc. At the same time, it is peaceful enough and not in the center of everything.
- the massage that I received by the head of the wellness section was fantastic. He finally could tell me what was wrong with my back.
-the rooms were meticulously clean and the balcony was a nice bonus.

The Bad:
- The hotel is for the most part not wheelchair accessible, and having a stroller, like my cousin was problematic to say the least. When she asked whether she could have a different room, to not have to lift the stroller up and down the stairs all the time, she was reluctantly given another room, and being told that she should have told them ahead of time that she'd bring a stroller. She actually had done so.
- the receptionists. Of the six receptionists that I met in three days, there was one who was both competent, and friendly. I think what bothered me the most was that whenever you asked for something, pointed out something, they tried to make it your fault (see trying to change rooms). When our final bill was different than the quoted price, they declared that we were in a different time window now (how is that my problem? You quoted me a price!). When another person complained about the food, they told her that she was the first to complain about it, hence it can't be true. This is unprofessional to the point of being rude.
-The wellness scheduling is a joke. It's 2016 and they use a pencil in binder. No wonder there was a f-up with my fango. I was told 9.30 and I had been told 9. Of course nobody came to look for me, knocked on my door or checked the breakfast table (where I sat, completely unaware).
- I had to give them my name and room number to get a bathrobe. It wasn't fancy or anything. It was a simple bathrobe. And if you are telling me that so many people will steal them, I will tell you that you are the freaking Johannisbad Group. Best Western doesn't expect me to sign for a bathrobe.

The mixed bag part:
- The rooms were clean, but the entire hotel was in dire need of renovation. The carpet looked like had been in there since the 90's, and the walls in the hallways had some serious cracks.
- The food was buffet style, and there was always something that tasted good (unless you're vegetarian, but then Gastein may not be the place for you anyways), but there was definitely room to grow. The Austrian evening though was lovely.
-The wellness part has room to grow too! Why do they close so early? I would have loved getting a massage after dinner and before bed- they could have made a lot of money off me alone, and I know that my sister, grandma and cousin felt the same way.

At the end of the day, it comes down to price. For what we payed a night, I expect more. I have stayed at the other two places right next to hotel palace, the Voelserhof as well as Hotel Bismarck, and in comparison, they win. Maybe it is because those two places are run by owner, whereas Hotel Palace is part of a bigger hotel chain. It was highly irksome that those who were paid the least (the kitchen and cleaning staff) worked the hardest to make my stay nice. Like another reviewer said, you need to adjust your expectations- but probably, they need to adjust their price.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Veejay81
Reviewed April 20, 2016

Comfortable and spacious rooms. Nice bar. Evening entertainment. Pool and spa facilities. Good breakfast and dinner buffet. About 10 minutes walk through a park to the nearest ski lift, or the ski shuttle stops right outside if you'd rather not walk.

Room Tip: If you get a room on the 1st or 2nd floor above the lobby/bar, you will definitely hear the musical entertainment.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo