See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We spent three nights here out of two weeks in France. From the moment of our arrival, our happy, energetic, and outgoing hosts, Jean-Jacques and Odile Degail, made us feel as though there was no wish that could not be instantly granted. Their fluency in English certainly made our lives simpler. Their restored mill complex on the Indre River is self-contained and private, a haven of quietness with room to roam and beautiful views in every direction. We were so happy there that with Odile's help, for two of the three nights we created a picnic beside the river instead of dining out.

Rooms and baths are spacious, spotlessly clean, and cross ventilated. You sleep in perfect quiet and wake to sunrise and mist rising from the river. Breakfast is plentiful and of the best quality.

Every one of our hosts' thoughtful suggestions for sightseeing was spot on. This is an excellent central location from which to go north, east, or west into the chateau and vineyard regions of the Loire Valley. We could easily have filled several more days, and we felt sad to leave -always the highest compliment for a lodging.

Room tip: There are only three rooms, one directly above the other, and there are no bad choices. There is no noise transmission between floors. Rooms are well portrayed on the web site, and they and their baths are spacious, airy, and all share excellent views.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We have just spent the most wonderful stay at a truly breathtaking location. We took all three rooms and was made very welcome by our host and his family at their home.

The pictures do no do this justice and immediately upon arriving there was a sense of calm and tranquility I have seldom found elsewhere and I can not wait to return very soon for a longer stay.

Great hosts, interesting warm and friendly. Relaxing, welcoming and not rushed.

Can't recommend enough.

Mike, Sue and our guests..

Reviewed September 18, 2011

I made reservations six months in advance for this inn and then reconfirmed it a week before our arrival. I had researched and requested two of the three rooms and this was specifically confirmed, and then reconfirmed, by the owner. I have this in writing. This was to celebrate my sister's 50th birthday and was her first visit to France. I had done a ton of research to find a special place and was thrilled to find the Les Moulins and it's good reviews. After a very long day and a drive from Paris we arrived in the official check in time (between 5-8 per the owners) at about 6:30. First off, it's very difficult to find and has little or no signage. I've driven in France for many years but finding it was hard even for me. Upon arrival we were absolutely thrilled with the beautiful inn and location. It's truly beautiful and was worth the search. The husband of the owner husband/wife team greeted us nicely but things fell upon apart quickly when it became apparent that he had double booked my sister's room and was now wanting her to stay in a loft bed above his office in a separate building from the other rooms. Now I understand how French inn's and rooms can be; I've been staying all over the country for almost twenty years and usually on a very small budget. This was a "splurge" for us at this inn and had been specifically chosen for a special occasion. However this "room" was completely unacceptable compared to what we had asked for and reserved. It was a mezzanie/loft area reached by ladder directly over the owner's office with no windows, no views and barely room to stand up. The bathroom was obviously not used as a guest bath and was not connected to the bed area but rather down on the level of the office. It was obvious that this was not a normal guest suite and the owners' personal belongings, paperwork, shoes, etc. were scattered about. Once again I'd like to stress that this was not a visit by a friend or a home exchange or a cheap hotel that we booked on the road, but a special occasion booked months in advance. The situation was not helped when my partner and I were shown to our room, the one which we had requested, and it was beautiful, everything we had expected, and had wonderful views of the river. My sister balked; apparently you do not ever question Monsieur the owner as he immediately lashed out at both her for questioning the situation at hand. Not only was she completely civil and polite, but she's worked in the hotel industry for many years so that she knew exactly how to approach him in a diplomatic way. She really was respectful, as was I. However he was not. He was completely rude and unprofessional and just plain horrible to us. He yelled at us that he had obviously double booked her room and that there was nothing he was going to do about it and that we could take it or get out immediately (this is the condensed version). When I asked him about the reconfirmation that I had in writing which specifically named both of our reserved rooms, he was even worse and called us difficult and unreasonable and was a complete jerk. So here were the three of us at about 7:00, exhausted, in the middle of the French countryside completely disappointed and with a nasty owner yelling at us as if we had done something wrong to him. We were never rude or screamed, but just stood our ground in polite way. He kept telling my sister that she should be lucky to have a room in his office because British people loved it. Her reply that she had expected the room in an inn with a view of the moulin and river was greeted with scorn, as if she were an idiot. It was completely unacceptable behavior on the part of the owner and therefore I'm writing this review. He ended up stomping away why still yelling out rude things at us and told us to wait there while he looked to find us other accommodation somewhere else. We waited for about half an then his wife drove up and they proceeded to have a conversation where he, barely out of earshot, criticized us again very aggressively to her and then stomped away again. This entire time we are standing with our suitcases in the parking area trying to figure out what to do. Then the wife, who was very respectful and considerate in her manner, tells us that we can have our two rooms but only for one night instead of two we had reserved because they had overbooked and they could not have us stay for our two nights. So we had one night in two very pretty rooms at the Moulins de Vontes, but our experience had been spoiled. They did arrange for a second night at a nearby B & B, where the owners were completely delightful and the place completely lovely, so at least they did not leave us completely high and dry. But it was his attitude and demeanor that ruined it and it was too late for us to leave without a terrible feeling of being treated very, very poorly by the unfriendly owner. My sister referred to him throughout the rest of our trip as "the Mean Man." You can expect a pretty place here, but considering my experience, I wouldn't trust that you can expect respectful treatment if anything goes awry.

Room tip: The normal rooms are lovely but not the attic room.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank ChipTravel
jakech, Propriétaire at Les Moulins de Vontes, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

In fact, yes, we double booked the room. We indeed were at fault. It was, within 11 years, the very first time and we tried our best to handle it properly. Unfortunatly the two gentlemen writing this note haven' t behaved exactly as they say. I understood they were upset they did not understand we were trying our best to help. I offered my library at a special discounted price even if my library is quite comfortable with splendid view on the river and very old antique furniture and collectibles. They refused this solution and there was nothing else to offer but to accomodate them somewhere else. What we have done for the second night because they spent the first here apparently to their satisfaction.
We are sorry for the double booking and were sad for them. We are sorry they did not appreciate our concern to sort out the situation.

Reviewed September 13, 2011

We could not have asked for a warmer welcome when we arrived at Les Moulins de Vontes. Jean Jacques and Odile are charming hosts and were very helpful suggesting and booking for us local restaurants for us to eat at during our stay.
The mills have a beautiful tranquil setting complimented by the sound of the river. Odile gave us wonderful breakfasts which we had sitting by the edge of the river in the sunshine.There is a rowing boat available for guests to use, which we did one morning.
Our room was spacious and beautifull furnished and the view out towards the river was very picturesque.
I would strongly recommend Les Moulin de Vontes if you want to stay somewhere characterful, tranquil and in a beautiful location.

Date of stay: August 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2011

The location is magical. It’s an old mill, situated in the middle of a river. The hosts are very helpful and friendly, even providing us with a BBQ one evening so that we could cook by the side of the river (after a swim).

Highly recommended.

Date of stay: April 2011
Trip type: Travelled as a couple