“A hidden gem”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of IL BELVEDERE

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Exclusive Riccardo's cafe. A walk from the house
Elegant bar 'Gipas' close by
House just behind this main Cathedral
One of many beaches
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Italian first
Any
jayne911
Truro, United Kingdom
“Great location but apartment needs attention”
Reviewed July 18, 2015 for a stay in July 2015
people found this review helpful

The location is great in the centro storico and the view from the huge and mostly private terrace is fantastic. The apartment was spacious and reasonably well equipped. However when I arrived the air conditioning was not working and although the manager did come out a couple of times to look at it , I was told it couldn't be fixed until after my departure. This meant over a week in temperatures of 35 degrees plus with no air con. Electric is expensive and I am sure the owner assumes that guests will use the air con and the cost of this is built into the weekly rental price. I do feel it should be part of managers responsibility to ensure everything in the apartment is in good working order before new guests arrive and I do know the apartment was unoccupied for at least 4 days before I arrived.I was however offered a room downstairs to use for my last couple of days if I needed to escape the heat in the apartment. There was also no light in the main shower room. The towels and the bedding could do with replacing as both well worn with holes. It would also be great to have decent sized towels. Just a few things in the kitchen to make it better equipped would be to provide a few more glasses and cups, in particular at least a couple of wine glasses and also some knives. The iron also has bare wires which need attention.My final concern is that I have been in Italy for 2 months staying in apartments and the only time I have been bitten , and quite badly , is during my stay in this apartment. I use plug in anti zenzara and body cream protection and never heard or saw any Mosquitos in the apartment so I am not convinced my bites were from Mosquitos .
This looks like a long list of complaints but I feel in addition to the changeover clean, if the owner and manager address these issues there is no reason why this apartment couldn't get a 5/5 from every guest but only then would I recommend this rental to a friend.

Liked best: The terrace
Liked least: No air con working
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
9 Sep 2018
Dear Jayne, your comments are greatly appreciated. Thx so much. We have relaced after your comment the towels. For season 2019 new sheets will arrive but they may have a little tear o tiny hole but they are super clean. That’s important! The air con works properly. I am not a dodgy Italian that pretends I have air con. I take this assumption really seriously. Electric unfortunately sometimes have fault and in south Italy everything is slow. The technician was chased but couldn’t come close to the weekend. You have been unlucky.

Well, mosquito cannot be control. Not sure how I can help... it is not a feature of the house. I personally, don’t get bitten anyway I go. For example if in the same room there is my sister. She will get 30 bites in a night. It is not a house by a pond a water font that attract mosquito. But little things like close curtains when lights are on it is always a trick. If lights are on and windows are left open the all day, there is a higher chance more will fly in. You have 3 sizes towels. FAce, hand and body. It is a classic set. Please feel free to ask for an extra bigger next time. Thanks again for staying. I wish you all the best.
Napoleanf...
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed May 14, 2015 for a stay in June 2014

We absolutely loved our stay in Ostuni and in Il Belvedere! The apartment has lovely rustic Italian charm and is tucked down a little side street with balconies from both the sitting room and bedroom where you can watch the world go by. It's is a stones throw from restaurants and bars but is also quiet so has the best of both worlds. In fact I would say it is perfectly located. The real treat is the roof terrace which has plenty of space for sunbathing and sitting out having sundowners and has wonderful views of the sea in the distance and the surrounding countryside. The owner and agent are both very personable and helpful. We are in the process of booking to go back this summer!

Liked best: It was a unique real Italian experience
Older travelers
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Chris C
“Nice Villa, great location”
Reviewed April 16, 2015 for a stay in April 2015

Il Belvedere is a great little villa/apartment in the middle of the Centro Storico in Ostuni. We had quite cold and wet weather at the start of our stay and we had no issues with leaks or anything which had been mentioned in a previous review. There were 2 radiators in the apartment, one of which stopped working and the other of which tripped the electric if you turned it up full. I can imagine that this may have annoyed other's more than it did us - we have owned property in Puglia and are well aware of the vagaries of the electrics. Even though it was Easter weekend they did their best to bring around some more heaters. Fortunately it warmed up towards the end of our stay and the roof terrace really does have exceptional views down to the coast.

Your age range 35-49
17 Apr 2015
Dear Christopher,
Thanks so much for staying at my property. Easter and this little southern Italian issue some times with electric, I understand can get frustrating. But I am glad that you find us helpful and you enjoyed your stay. It was a pleasure to have you.
14Margot
London, United Kingdom
“Very, very disappointing”
Reviewed September 6, 2014 for a stay in April 2014
people found this review helpful

I wouldn't advise staying in this accommodation. I have booked hundred of places over the years with cold, damp, cracked cups etc and it has never bothered me, but this was on a new level of discomfort. We booked to stay there in April. We arrived and the apartment reeked of damp like a church crypt. We put the heater on expecting it to blow away the damp. Unfortunately the wall heater did not work and the one in the bedroom had no plug. We were freezing all night as the weather was still cold and rainy. Worse than the cold was the pervasive damp. The bed was actually damp and almost soggy. The toilet paper was wet, there was water on the inside of the windows. The next morning we contacted Francesco, the local person to ring if there are problems. He came over and said he couldn't fix the heater that day but he would get someone the next day. We couldn't face another night in the cold and damp, so booked into a B&B. The engineer came to look at the heater and said there was a major problem and it couldn't be fixed. We ended up staying in the B&B all week paying another 400 euros on top of the 200 we had paid for the damp apartment. We were perfectly polite about it all, and Francesco commented that we were so to the owner.
We decided to give the owner the benefit of the doubt and rather than write a bad review or report her to Trip Advisor, we thought we would try and come to an agreement. We proposed 2/3 of the fee in a refund as we hadn't been able to sleep there for 6 of the 7 nights. For the next few weeks she either ignored our emails or agreed to a refund but did nothing. Eventually we contacted Trip Advisor and they said the could not do a refund as we had entered into direct negotiations with the owner and not them. Bad move to try and be fair to the owner. At one point the owner came up with the incredulous story that her 'manager' had paid out B&B. I pointed out how impossible this was and offered to produce the receipt made out to us. Anyway we've never received a penny back from the owner and the lesson learned is don't try and do things the nice way. As I said, I've been in some pretty basic holiday places but never as bad as this one.

Bathroom cleanliness Service
Liked best: The location
Liked least: The clod, damp and no heating
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
17 Apr 2015
I am really sorry that you feel this way. I have to say, unfortunately, if one person out of ten is declaring the false just because is trying to get a refund, it is not really nice. It was indeed an unusual rainy and thunder storm week for Ostuni. We did all we could. Till we arrange a close hotel. It was my priority and the managing agent's intent to make the client happy.
Nat Y
St Albans, United Kingdom
“A beautiful and peaceful apartment in the heart of Ostuni old town”
Reviewed October 30, 2013 for a stay in September 2013

Ostuni old town is a very peaceful and romantic place, full of beautiful views, stone flagged streets, plants and tiny bars and restaurants. It is also kept meticulously clean - not something that can often be said in Southern Italy! As this apartment is in the centre of the old town, and is accessed off one of the narrow winding streets, it is perhaps unsurprising that it has many of its qualities. The interior, which has recently been refitted to a high standard, combines original features with modern conveniences. There is a small balcony at the front, and a roof garden with particularly stunning view, although it was a little windy to spend much time there when we visited. We enjoyed our time at Il Belvedere immensely, and were very impressed with the helpful attitude (and perfect English!) of Francesco. As our hire car broke down, we arrived in Ostuni well after midnight and very stressed. Francesco was very sympathetic and helpful, took us to the apartment with our bags and helped get some milk for our daughter from the restaurant opposite. Full marks all round.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The view from the roof garden
Liked least: Nothing major
Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 25-34
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
mrjw2000
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great apartment in a beautiful town!”
Reviewed October 20, 2013 for a stay in October 2013

This apartment is right in the middle of the historical part of Ostuni. There are lots of restaurants and bars nearby, but it is still pretty peaceful. The view from the rooftop is amazing and you are just a short drive from the beach. Bari and Lecce are also quite near and make a nice day trip. You'll need a car to get around the area, but you can't park next to the flat. (If you have mobility issues access to the old part of Ostuni is not easy in general.) There is parking nearby, however.

The apartment itself was in good condition and clean, and Francesco who met us there was really helpful if we had any questions. We happened to have freak thunderstorms when we were there which did cause a small leak, but the owner and Francesco were apologetic and even offered us alternative accommodation. I'm sure that will be fixed after our visit.

In short, we had a great time here and were happy with the apartment.

Friends getaway
21 Oct 2013
My dear, Thanks a lot for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you had a great time. Thanks for being such good guests! Looking forward to have you again with no thunder storm!! x Graziella
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2013 for a stay in June 2013

Liked best: The roof terrace
Liked least: nothing
Friends getaway Older travelers
22 Aug 2013
My dear, Thanks a lot for your beautiful review. The last week of July, I replaced all the outdoor furniture. I'm looking forward to see you again of course with a 10% discount. Many thanks! I wish you a beautiful end of 2013. x Graziella
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing