Review Highlights
Snow in April ... sightings of Western Spanish Ibex and White-throated Dipper

Reviewed April 28, 2018
TikTock32
Singapore, Singapore
An excellent area for walking

Reviewed September 6, 2017
JohnCracknell
Hayling Island, United Kingdom

All reviews nature drive walks ibex km birds snow parador valley
Reviewed April 28, 2018

We visited in April, and it was snowing and could not hike the mountain, and did not see any birds. However, we spotted a flock of ibex and made up for the bad weather.

On the park road that leads to the Platformas de Gredos, there is a waterfall area that is good for white-throated dippers. Turn off just before the bridge (near the campsite) as you drive into the Platformas, and then drive about a km or two and you will see the waterfall. Park nearby and approach quietly.

1  Thank TikTock32
Reviewed September 6, 2017

We stayed at the Parador de Gredos which is an excellent base. Their are mountain,forest and valley walks plus rivers. Excellent.

Reviewed June 1, 2017

We go every couple of months, do some great hiking. Year round nature at less than two hours from Madrid.

Reviewed December 9, 2016 via mobile

I visited the Gredos centre 2 times and I was amazed. I didn't see such beautiful places anywhere before.

Reviewed November 14, 2016

Even if you have travel all around the Globe, Gredos will be one of the places in your memory.
Being born in Madrid, since I was a child I have always visited Gredos. This place is one of the most astonishing Natural Parks. You will never regret when you come and visit. It's not just the biodiversity, the spectacular scenery, the suggesting landscapes. What really most impress you is its personality, its character.
Also this environment offer you many diverse activities. From observing stars, bird watching, hiking, horse riding, rock climbing, fishing, hunting... you will meet amazing sober Castilians characters and one of the best places to eat.
Accommodation and food facilities are excellent quality and cheap.
As an outdoors lover I will strongly recommend this place. You must not miss.

2  Thank Miguel B
Reviewed October 17, 2016

Superb scenery on largely deserted roads. We enjoyed a day simply driving around and through the parquet. Plenty of little places to stop off and admire the views.

2  Thank Stephen W
Reviewed August 5, 2016

This is a nice park. You have to pay a few euros to get on the parkinglot. From there there are nice walks: spectaculair and save.

1  Thank GeDa_12
Reviewed May 11, 2016

We were the only people visiting this Parque in mid May - not surprising as the weather was atrocious! The car park was unstaffed and therefore free. Driving sleet and strong, cold winds make this an experience not for the casual visitor, unless the sky is blue and the weather balmy: remember you are at much higher altitude than anywhere in the UK. Having said that, the nature and topography are great, and the form of the Iberian Ibex that is endemic to the Sierra de Gredos is very easily seen by the entrance road and car park.

3  Thank Martin G
Reviewed November 17, 2015

We drove from Talayuela to Yuste (Carlos V) and then highway 203 to-501 -502 to Navarrdonda (Parador de Gredos). Underway visit several small villages. We also hiked in the neighborhood of the hotel. Very nice nature.

1  Thank Erik V
Reviewed October 14, 2015

We drove (1 ½ hours) from Salamanca to the parking base spot. Once you leave the car park you don’t set foot on flat steady ground tip you return, it’s all granite and other rocks beyond my limited knowledge. It has a dramatic, sometimes bleak beauty of expansive ruggedness (not a word that applies to me). It took around 2 ½ hours of steady but not speedy walking to reach the refuge.

The refuge, by the Laguna Grande, looked from a distance like a setting for a horror film, but inside it wasn’t so grim. It was only 14e per night and by fortune a dorm to ourselves. The only horror could have been the lack of toilet or washing facilities. The weather meant the outdoor shower wasn’t going to be used. If you wanted ’to go’, you just go. Liberating really. It takes around 2 ½ hours from the refuge to the top of Almanzor, then another 2 hours or so back.

On the way up we encountered hail, rain (unpredictable weather is expected) and mountain goats, my partner encountered my pathetic moans. I’d expected to be able to walk to the top not as it happens, to climb and clamber up the rocks with my hands for the last hour or so. The weather and light wasn’t favourable nor was my fear of heights and climbing ability, I’ve not climbed more than a ladder before. I felt emasculated as metres from the top my fear took hold and I watched my partner reach the peak. For hiker-types like me it may be tricky, especially on a bad day, you could easily hurt yourself or get lost, for climbers, no doubt a breeze.

Go for it’s ‘accessible’ remoteness and stark beauty, plus a little challenge. I'd recommend walking to the refuge, staying the night then climbing to the top in the morning. Walking from the car park to the top then back in a day would be a tough 9/10 hours.

2  Thank Trevor D