“60 is looking good!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Keene
Stratford, Ontario, Canada
“60 is looking good!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

I celebrated my 60th birthday with 26 girlfriends this past weekend at Elmhirst Resort ..... OMG .... it couldn't have been ANY better! Anne and her team anticipated everything my guests and myself could possibly want .... right down to a picture perfect winters' day (especially difficult to pull off this year!). We enjoyed fabulous spa treatments, delicious food (OMG the food), such comfortable beds in all our cozy cottages, and great fun on our scavenger hunt (not competitive at all) ..... horse drawn sleigh rides beside a picture perfect Rice Lake near sundown. Having our own common room for our own planned activities worked so well in the Conservatory too! Many many thanks to Peter and Anne and all the wonderful staff at Elmhirst's Resort for helping to make my birthday extra special for all of us!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Leslie W
cyclist0093, General Manager at Elmhirst's Resort, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
1000 pardons, I thought I was addressing the guest of honour with the response to Laurel M's posting (I thought a nom de plume perhaps....). Once again it was a wonderful event to be a part of and we feel honoured by the opportunity. Best wishes for many more good times with your friends. My Grandma always said if you have one true friend you have lived well; you have clearly lived very well indeed....Congratulations and many happy returns!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Grimsby, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

If you are considering a family friendly resort, a weekend getaway for two, a girls weekend or a spa getaway that offers full spa treatments and services, exercise room, sauna, indoor/outdoor pool and games room. Here you'll find excellent cuisine in both the restaurant that overlooks Rice Lake or the pub, consider the Elmhirst family at Elmhirst's Resort. The Sunday brunch is outstanding! This family resort is situated just outside Peterborough on some 200+ acres where you will enjoy home grown angus beef, free range eggs and meet the sweetest horses (also available for trail rides). Family owned and operated all the staff are considered family to the Elmhirst's and that includes their guests. Come just once and you'll know what I'm talking about. Open year round this resort has plenty to offer in all seasons.

Room Tip: All of the cottages have full bathrooms, 2, 3 or 4 bedrooms, kitchens are full size kitchens with fr...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Queeniegirl
cyclist0093, General Manager at Elmhirst's Resort, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences at Elmhirst's. I means a great deal to us when guests notice all the attributes of the resort and it makes a good impression. And thanks as well for noticing the "family touch" we try and put on the property. Most of the family members on the Elmhirst's team live right on site and try to share their love for the place with the guests. Practically all the staff live close by and are like neighbours. We appreciate your support and confidence; we think we offer a good experience but its uplifting and confidence inspiring to hear when guests notice.

Can't wait to see you back at Rice Lake soon....
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

Our family spent the Thanksgiving long weekend at Elmhirst resort and we’ve had an excellent stay. We have got a cottage with two bedrooms, king size beds and two bathrooms, one with shower the other with Jacuzzi tub. The kitchen was fully equipped, including even a small dishwasher. The cottage also had flat screen TV and DVD player, free internet - each cottage has its own WiFi router. There was also a fireplace and wood was supplied. Everything worked well for us with few minor exceptions like one toilet tank continuously running or BBQ ignition not working but we were able to deal whit these ourselves. All cottages are close to water edge and the view is gorgeous. There are lots of activities available but we wanted to relax so we’ve only rented the pontoon boat and spent a peaceful afternoon on the lake. We did not use the restaurant but we’ve only heard good thing about the food. The staff is friendly and helpful, I have to mention Wilma at the front desk who makes you feel welcome from the first minute there. Overall we had a wonderful long weekend and strongly recommend this resort.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank r_crusoe
cyclist0093, Owner at Elmhirst's Resort, responded to this review, 23 October 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback about your Thanksgiving stay. We were certainly blessed with a wonderful weekend which always helps people enjoy the property that much more. I think the fall colours were also at their peak that weekend; a real postcard worthy time. It was a great call to get a little boating in. Wilma was thrilled to be mentioned by name in your review and we are fortunate to have an ambassador like her.

Thanks again for joining us and we will look forward (especially Wilma) to seeing you again soon.....
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

A group of about twenty colleagues and I spent a couple of days at Elmhirst's for a day of work-related presentations and various discussions. I have to say that I was extremely impressed by the accommodations, the food, and the hospitality shown by everyone there. I found the restaurant to be the highlight of the place. We were there for two suppers, two breakfasts, and one lunch. The dinners were both really excellent, with food that was flavorful and plentiful. They take the locavore thing pretty seriously there, to the point of serving up beef from their own cows one night. That beef was as good as any I've had in a very long time. The wine list is extensive, reasonably priced, and devoid of any bottles from any place other than Ontario. I loved this approach, and we ended up drinking a number of wines from small, local producers that I doubt can be found anywhere outside the province. I'd not had any experience with Ontario wines prior to this trip and I was very impressed. Breakfast and lunch were both served buffet style. Breakfast was pretty standard fare, while the lunch they served was a real feast.

The meeting room we had was well-suited to our needs. There was a projector with a screen, a big table, and snacks and coffee were provided.

The cottages were quite nice and clean, albeit rustic. Ours had two bedrooms and one bath upstairs and a bedroom/bathroom downstairs. There was a full kitchen and a nice little living room with flat screen TV, DVD player, a fireplace, a lake view, and comfy furnishings.

There were a number of services available that I didn't take advantage of, including guided trail rides and a spa. Several other members of our group spoke highly of both of these. I did manage to get in some short walks around the lake, though, and it was beautiful despite some marginally lousy weather.

What really made the place special was the friendliness of everyone connected with the place - both owners and staff. Peter Elmhirst and his son Greg were there to help with wine choices and just to check in on how things were going while the rest of the staff seemed willing to do whatever it took to make sure we were happy with our stay. Our entire group was wow'd by this experience and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who will be looking to come back to take a real vacation at Elmhirst's.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Mikefil58
Thank you very much for your kind feedback after your recent meeting at Elmhirst's. It certainly helps one focus on work if there is something to sustain the body and mind afterwards. Our team was particularly gratified to hear that you enjoyed the hospitality and that you found value in the defining idea we try to incorporate in all we do; provide the best we can in local food, wine and experiences with genuine hospitaliy presented by our family and nieghbours.

With over 100 wineries in Ontario and counting there is lots more to experience in the cellar if you have the chance to return....
Chorley, Lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

The resort itself is a gorgeous place to relax, it's so peaceful and the views over the lake are fabulous! We had a great meal in the restaurant which was fairly expensive, but definitely worth splashing out on - food was delicious, decor modern and classy with those fab views. Service throughout resort was not overly friendly.

Unfortunately we really thought the cottage let our stay down and could do with modernising - only the bathroom seemed to have been done so far. When we first arrived, the TV was on and radio was playing really loudly which freaked me out a little! The cottage, doorways and deck were covered in cobwebs and leaves and inside wasn't cleaned brilliantly - a few dust patches, lots of dead flies and kitchen drawers full of crumbs etc. The kitchen equipment was fine, but all furniture and carpets were dated and scruffy. Our bbq wasn't working, but staff helped out with matches. One thing I really disliked was the full length bathroom window (only slightly frosted) in front of the toilet and right on the road past the cottages, without a curtain or blind.

The weather was so hot we didn't do much other than a short walk round the resort but there was a great list of activities available. Loved the fact that each property has it's own jetty, very relaxing watching life on the lake go by.

Would recommend the resort, but only if I was staying in a nicer and cleaner cottage.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sooty123
cyclist0093, Owner at Elmhirst's Resort, responded to this review, 5 August 2011
Thanks very much for posting your thoughts on your recent stay with us. I'm really glad you and your companion had a relaxing stay and that you enjoyed your visit to the Hearthside Room. We just finished a complete renovation there and are really enjoying the results.

The feedback you offered on the cottage is very clear and helpful. With a little help from my team we will endeavour to address the details which affected your perception of the cottage and make it more comfortable and welcoming in the future.

We hope to see you back at Rice Lake soon....
Ancaster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

Our family decided to return, yet again, for another fantastic vacation at Elmhirst. We had tried to remember just how many years we have vacationed here and believe it to be over 10. The atmosphere is fantastic...just what we needed...some R&R and of course a very relaxing massage! Now that our kids are older, we take advantage of the ATV's, horseback riding, tubing and waterskiing. The kids love it all! (Age 20,18,and 15) We also make use of both restaurants and find the food to be delicious. I think we have just about had pretty much everything on the menu. For the last few years we had reserved the last week of August, but being the two old kids are in University now, we had mid July (16-23rd). WOW.....extremely HOT!!! The cottages were well equipped with ceiling fans and portable fans which kept the cottage somewhat cool in the evening for sleeping. We would have loved to play tennis longer, in addition to Basketball and Volleyball...but the weather was TOO hot to do too much of anything with the exception of boating and swimming. My husband and kids caught loads of fish...small mouth bass, large mouth bass (measuring 3 - 6 lbs), walleye, in addition to many many sun fish. Of course, being the great fisherman that my husband is, all fish were returned to the lake for the next lucky person! We have booked again for next year...and can't wait to return!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Price55
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

There are few places that I've been in my life where I've been able to truly unwind. This is one of them.

Myself, my wife and three young children stayed here for our first family vacation. The atmosphere was near perfect. Sure, some of the service wasn't as drop dead fast as other getaways I've been to but it's all part of the Elmhirst charm.

You'll know what I mean once you get here, unpack and ease into a Muskoka chair off your private back deck.

You'll catch lots of fish, eat tons of great food and drink great wine.

Let yourself slow down when you get here and you'll have an amazing time. Use the Treehouse day camp if you have young children. The girls running it are wonderful and gave our 3 kids memories they'll keep forever. Specifically Jenna - our 5 year old son experienced his first crush.

Talk to your neighbours - eat with them, drink them - this is what Elmhirst is all about. Connect Ruth yourself, your family and the community if the resort. It's absolutely beautiful.

We'll be back every year. Every...single...year.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank theoriginalrickster
cyclist0093, Owner at Elmhirst's Resort, responded to this review, 10 July 2011
Thank you so much for such a heart-felt posting. We have always thought very highly of the young nieghbours we have on our team here and are particularly enjoying this year's group. We always tell them guests will remember them long after all the other "bricks and mortar" memories have faded. Thanks so much for reminding us how true that is It's also great to hear about families making connections and having fun with their fellow guests.

Have a great summer the rest of the way and we can't wait to see you all next time!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keene
16.0 km away
6.2 km away
Highland View Resort
Highland View Resort
#2 of 2 in Keene

Been to Elmhirst's Resort? Share your experiences!