All reviewsthe pubdining roomthe cottagesrice lakeget awayon siteoutdoor poolthe kitchenbedroom cottagegames roomsteakgirls weekendwine tastinghorseback ridingfishbring your ownmain building
Reviewed May 6, 2018

Stayed for a weekend in May - first stay there. A lovely setting - beautiful lake views - nice to walk along the water and along the paths. Our cottage was very clean and comfortable. Had all conveniences. My friends enjoyed their spa services - we were too busy to try the indoor pool but it looked very inviting. The dining room is gorgeous - and the food (and service) really outstanding. Will definitely return soon - to stay, or just to eat!

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed December 27, 2017 via mobile

I recently spent Christmas Eve and Christmas here with my family. Overall we had a lovely time; I'll just go through the good and offer a couple of suggestions for improvements.

The good: The grounds were well-kept. It snowed before we got there and again on Christmas so that all roads and paths were freshly plowed and shoveled was great.
We had Christmas dinner at the restaurant and we all really enjoyed it. Make no mistake; it WAS very busy but the food was good and service was fine.

The main improvements I could suggest had to do with both the cabins and public areas of Elmhirst. The cabin I was in had relatively new furniture but that didn't disguise the fact that the wallpaper was quite tired and coming apart from the wall in spots. In my room there were several spots where the trim was loose and falling off.
In the cabin of my sister and her family my brother- in-law found a cigarette in between the couch cushions.
In addition the lobby looked a little tired with a cracked ceiling and stuffed fishes who were slowly desintigrating. The tiles on the stairs going to the pool area were some of the most chipped I've ever seen, and many outdoor buildings appear in needs of repair or fresh paint at the very least.
None of these things detracted from the nice time my family had here, but they're just things I noticed.
I've never really stayed at a place like this before (I usually stick to large hotels in cities) but just thought I'd offer some things I'd observed.
I would come back (likely in summer) but it would be nice to see this property displayed to its full potential - both in terms of the public areas and guest accommodations.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
8  Thank travelcarguy
Reviewed December 6, 2017

We simply stopped for brunch and the buffet was extensive and delicious at a regular price that cannot be beat. Overall one of the better experiences in the Kawartha's. The window to dine was 11am to 2:00pm and we arrived about 1:30 but were still welcomed and enjoyed the experience immensely.

Stayed: September 2017
Reviewed November 15, 2017 via mobile

This past weekend my wife and I had an amazing Homestead weekend which included 2 nights stay, a trip to the local Peterborough market to pick fresh veggies up to go along with our 4 course meal.

We had a wagon ride of the grounds which included a history lesson about the Elmhirst Resort from Peter. By the way is a wealth of knowledge...

We had also had a tour of the wine cellar which was great and tasted wonderful wines that were paired up with our 4 course meal we had..

The cottage were close together and each were on the lake and making for easy visiting between them. We had a 3 bedroom with 2 bathrooms so my wife and I each had our own bathroom..

We also had an afternoon of baking our own apple turnovers which was a lot of fun. Thanks to Jeff our Chef and tour guide..

Now back to the main event the 4 course meal which was AWSOME...Malcom and Jeff the chefs did an amazing job on the beet salad then we moved to the butternut squash ravioli. Next was Steak Diane with blue oyster mushrooms and local potatoes..

To finish the meal off we had apples with caramel and whiskey source..AMAZING...

I was happy to be sitting next Ann Marshall and what a wonderful person she is. Again full of energy and again a wealth of knowledge about the Resort..

Overall my wife and I had a fantastic weekend and highly recommend going for the Homestead weekend..

I know we will be back..

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mash2477
Greg E, Owner at Elmhirst's Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2017

Thanks very much for attending our Homesteading 101 weekend, we are thrilled to hear you and your wife enjoyed the experience. We started with the idea that many people are interested in finding more locally sourced food but because of their demanding schedules have challenges getting the full benefit of a market experience. Homesteading 101 was meant to help people shop for, prepare, and enjoy locally sourced food along with locally sourced beverages. Its also a chance to show off the amazing Peterborough Farmers Market.

We are very happy to hear from your feedback that the weekend delivered and we really appreciate the feedback. Our kitchen brigade and the whole family commits to these events with gusto.

We look forward to seeing you back on Rice Lake, have a great Christmas and New Year in the mean time.

Reviewed November 12, 2017 via mobile

A group of friends rented out 5 cottages for 3 nights at Elmhirst’s. The cottages were all close together, making for easy visiting between them, even with the cold weather. The 2-3 bedroom cottages felt more inviting than the 5 bedroom, with better laid out common areas and layouts (2 of the bedrooms in the 5 bedroom are right off the kitchen area).
The property was great for walks, I ran along the country roads, the common games room and pool were well used by the kids in our group, families enjoyed the wagon ride on Saturday, and several friends raves about the RMT massages they had.
We ate 2 dinners in the pub, with great service, tasty locally grown food, and reasonable prices. The laid back atmosphere in the pub fit in perfectly with our comfy cottage attire.
We would love to come back in the summer and enjoy the waterfront and summer activities.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends