Iberostar Ensenachos
Starfish Cayo Santa Maria(Cayo Santa Maria)(Great Value!)
US$243
US$130
  • Breakfast included
Grand Memories Santa Maria(Cayo Santa Maria)
US$156
US$182
US$173
US$167
US$94
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Perla Blanca(Cayo Santa Maria)
US$200
US$190
US$173
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Sol Cayo Guillermo(Cayo Guillermo)
US$171
US$154
Melia.com
  • Breakfast included
Melia Cayo Guillermo(Cayo Guillermo)
US$192
5,753 results
All reviewsseafooditalian restaurantmain lobbysanta claraa la carte restaurantspiano bargolf cartspa areafamily sectionsurf and turfdvd playerbeautiful resortadult poolbring a flashlightchickenother resortslow tide
Reviewed April 6, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a lovely week spent at the Iberostar. This was our first stay, and we stayed in the adults section, near the spa (though we did not try the spa services).
First of all, the resort grounds and the beaches are just beautiful, and they are what made our trip so wonderful. We really enjoyed strolling around the beautifully manicured grounds and Ensenachos beach was perfect (soft white sand and crystal-clear waters). We never had trouble finding somewhere shady to sit at the beach, and we loved that it was quieter than Megano beach (which is closer to the resort area). It was worth the 20 minute walk from our room.
Our room was initially a disappointment as we did not get what we had requested: instead of a king bed and non-smoking room, we had two double beds, and the room smelled of smoke. We were unable to move as they were fully booked, even though we went repeatedly to the front desk to check for availability. Fortunately the smoke smell cleared up after a day or two, and we were fine with staying put (not that we had any choice in the matter). Also, the beds were very hard for our taste, which in all our travels we have never encountered before. That aside, the room was spacious and very clean. We did enjoy being very close to the pool, which was lovely and well-maintained. They have a heated pool and Jacuzzi as well, which we enjoyed when the main pool felt too chilly. We enjoyed eating lunch at the poolside café (tasty food and a welcome change from the buffet), and having drinks poolside. (Drinks were best at the lobby bar, however). A final note about our room was that it was very noisy during the day as staff clamoured around without any regard for peace and quiet – difficult to have a nice siesta! Nighttime was very quiet though.
Food was what we had expected: bland and mediocre. It was mostly the same fare both at lunch and dinner at the buffet, but fortunately there is a very large selection and we always found something to eat. We really enjoyed the a la carte restaurants that we tried: Asian restaurant (Azia) was very nice, and the seafood one was our favourite (Punta della Pirata), given its setting right by the water. We did not try the Italian restaurant. We would like to suggest a different booking process for the reservations, as the line-up to make dinner reservations was very long and a big waste of time. We would advise having a dedicated booking process for the restaurants instead of having the same Customer Service reps book the excursions as book the reservations.
Staff were generally very pleasant and helpful all over the resort (very friendly maintenance staff, activities staff, and restaurant servers as well). Our maid was terrific and kept us very well stocked with towels and water every day. No one stood around expecting a tip, so we felt comfortable tipping as we felt appropriate, without any pressure. This was a welcome change from other resorts where we have stayed in Cuba. The one exception to the great service was at the front desk, where staff seemed overwhelmed and glazed-over. Check-in and check-out were both chaotic affairs, and we were always unable to get satisfactory information from anyone we encountered there. I also had them hang up on me when I tried to phone to get some information from our room. Once we began to avoid interacting with them, we stopped being frustrated with the quality of the service.
Nightly entertainment was varied and enjoyable, though we never stayed for an entire performance. It was much better than I’ve seen at other resorts: talented and engaging performers, and well-organized events.
Overall we would highly recommend this resort for the lovely surroundings and good service, though you still have to keep in mind that you’re in Cuba and everything runs at a very different pace.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank BruschettaLover
Stefano B, General Manager at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

Greetings from Iberostar Ensenachos,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate reading all comments and suggestions as it helps us to improve our services and standards at the resort. I apologize if you did not get the room that you requested upon arrival. As the hotel was full, we unfortunately were not able to process all requests depending on the availability upon arrival. I hope that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and will return to visit in the future.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

We booked a week during Spring Break. Flights with Sunwing were o.k. but at awkward times and premium Elite does not really guarantee any preferential treatment.
Arrived at hotel by 8.30am and were transferred to villas where we were told our rooms would not be available till 3pm- Nobody warned us about this.
Villas section is exclusive with access to a fantastic beach/ pool. Room was satisfactory but smelt of sewage throughout the day- Concierge was unconcerned. We asked to see the General Manager but were told he was too busy for us even to book an appointment a week in advance!
A La Carte Restaurants were average with Italian bordering on disastrous. Service in Gourmet restaurant is painfully slow, especially at breakfast. Dinner service is better but you have to keep asking for more wine/water.
Support staff were helpful although Room Service was terrible and they were unconcerned. On one evening our daughter who had been ill, ordered room service at 8.30pm and was still waiting at 10.15pm. When we phoned to inquire we were told that the cart had broken down- but nobody phoned to inform us! Same thing happened the next day!
As others have commented- numerous cockroaches but by the end of the week we were getting used to them!
In Summary if you are looking for a great beach location this hotel would fit the bill. Please don't expect good service/food or the ability to discuss with the General Manager, who appears aloof and totally unconcerned, bit of an irony since this is now supposed to be a "family run hotel"

Room Tip: Not really sure- we were supposedly in the best part of the hotel!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank DrDev156

Greetings from Iberostar Ensenachos,

Thank you for your review. I apologize if your stay with us was not up to the standards that you expected and that I was not able to meet with you during your stay. I have written to you directly to ascertain some of these details but I can assure you that I do try and make the time to see every guest when possible. Thank you again for your review and I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

We stayed at the Iberostar Ensenachos March 23-30, in the Park Suites area. We love Cuba – the people are wonderful, the beaches are amazing, and, for the most part, the price is less than you would pay in many other locations.

This was our first time in this area of Cuba – our previous 2 visits have been to Varadero. It is a long drive from Santa Clara to the resort, about an hour and a half. Unfortunately, our drive (both there and back) took place at night and we missed out on being able to see the countryside.

We don’t come with high expectations; we know that Cuba has some limitations. You will not go hungry – there is always more than enough to eat, but if you are very picky, then Cuba probably isn’t for you. For us, the bigger issue in this resort was that they seemed to be short staffed. This meant line-ups for the fresh cooked food in the buffet, and slow refills on the ready prepared items.

When we realized that you had to order off a menu at the snack bar by the pool, we decided to take the walk to the buffet instead. They need to have a buffet-style snack bar, ideally by the beach, but at least by the pool so that you can grab something quickly. In our last couple of days, we decided to give the pool snack bar a try, and we definitely didn’t miss out on anything special. I could have made myself a much better sandwich at the buffet.

The A La Cartes were good, though not amazing. My husband had a really good filet mignon at the Steakhouse, but the turf part of the surf and turf at the Seafood restaurant was a thin “steak”, very tough! There definitely seemed to be supply issues, because there was always at least a couple of items on the menu that they said weren’t available.

Beach
The beaches are amazing – they are one of the main reasons that we go to Cuba. We used Playa Megano the whole time. We took a walk down to Playa Ensenachos, and while it is a beautiful beach, it didn’t offer anything that made it worth the extra 10 minute walk. We found the staff on the Playa Megano beach to be the best in the whole resort. They were friendly and attentive and more than happy to get drinks for you and serve you at your lounger.

Tipping
We are more than happy to tip generously for good service, and we always come prepared to do just that. The Cuban people earn very little for a wage and are very appreciative of tips – both monetary and gifts. However, we are not going to tip more than 1 or 2 CUC to our server if he only comes to fill our water glasses and we don’t see him again. Again, I blame the fact that they were short staffed for this. The staff that were there were working their butts off to serve a large number of people.

Don’t be like the couple that my husband overheard on the beach – when the guy on the beach went to get them a lounger, they said, no, we’ll get it ourselves, we don’t want to have to tip you. Really?!!

General Stuff
Our room was good – a comfortable king sized bed and large bathroom with tub and separate shower, also a separate room with the toilet. No complaints there. When we arrived, the AC wasn’t working, but they sent someone quite quickly and had it working in no time.

The housekeeping staff did a good job. Again, probably due to being short staffed, our room was usually not made up until later in the afternoon, but as we spent the majority of the day at the beach, it really wasn’t an issue. They didn’t supply bars of soap (just bath gel), which I thought was odd, but we had brought our own anyway. I imagine if I had asked for some, they would have provided it.

Changing money is a bit of a pain there as it usually involves waiting in line. The thing that really ticked me off was waiting in line for 45 minutes, just to get change (not to convert money), and then finding out that he didn’t have any small denominations. They were getting delivery from the bank later that day, and had enough later, but . . . !!

We would have really liked to be able to get a later check out, but they said they couldn’t do that because they were “overbooked”. That was very unfortunate, as we had to check out by noon, and our bus didn’t pick us up until 8:45 PM. Of course, we were still able to have full use of the facilities, but it would have been very nice to have a nap before we left as we were flying home in the middle of the night.

They really have to do something about the time of day that they do the bug spraying. The truck would go by, spraying who-knows-what, mid evening, or early in the morning – both times when people were up and about, walking around outside. The worst was when we were waiting for our bus to pick us up (8:30ish in the evening) and the truck went by the front entrance. Some people were just arriving and they were greeted by a cloud of noxious fumes. I don’t know what they use, but it smells just like malathion! Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that I didn’t see one mosquito there, but spray in the middle of the night like they do in Winnipeg – please!!

Overall, our stay was good. Would we return to the same resort? As much as we like the Iberostar chain, that would depend on the price, and whether they address some of the issues. We feel that we got a good price this year, so some of the issues became smaller just because of that.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank irishcolleen61

Greetings from Iberostar Ensenachos,

Thank you for your review it is very much appreciated. We are actually in the process of building a beach buffet like the one that you suggested which will have more options and be self-serve. Regarding the fumigation that we have at the hotel, I can assure you that the fumes are not toxic to humans and although it may smell bad, it will not hurt you. We have looked at different times, but these seem to be the best as it is right before the mosquitoes come out at dusk and dawn. I'm glad that you enjoyed your overall stay and I hope that you will return as we are continually upgrading our services and resolving all issues as quickly as possible.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

Went with 18 yr old daughter and was stuck in family bungalows with screaming kids and noisy upstairs neighbors at all hours. Buffet food was really good and selection/taste was outstanding. Food in most restaurants okay, except the Italian which was dreadful. No wireless Internet and 30 mins on their slow system is 6 CUC. Staff very friendly and appreciative of all little gifts we brought. Cleaning staff never re-filed water/pop consumed in mini fridge, nor bathroom items. Giant cockroach in bathroom last day there. During checkout reception could not even crack a smile or extend appreciation for staying there. Airport is 1 hr bus ride away. Recommend this resort for young families but next time I will book adults only.

Room Tip: Ensure you are not in kids' area if you are traveling without small children.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Vesper7
Stefano B, General Manager at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

Greetings from Iberostar Ensenachos,

Thank you for your review. We are in the process of acquiring wireless internet for the lobby areas but am not sure yet how much faster it will be. I apologize for these issues that you encountered with your minibar and check out service and will be speaking with the people responsible to make sure that this is dealt with. I hope you were able to enjoy yourselves and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

My wife and another couple went to Iberostar Ensenachos last week in February. Weather was perfect room very compfortable we stayed in the Spa Section, I would highly recommend it. Very quiet no kids allowed ( not that I dont like kids just not on my holiday )
Al la cart meals were all good Buffet was good if you had items grilled individually they have a good selection of chicken pork sometimes shrimp and lobster beef was a little tuff.
I found the prepared items on the buffet not all that good but we never went hungry for sure.

They have a nice outdoor pool side restraunt that had really good caesar salad steak sandwhiches( this beef was good) and calamari. Had that quite a few times.

Pool is nice warm and most of all quiet.
We went down to the beach but found it really crowded found out later there is a much larger one further away by the seafood resteraunt but we never ventured down there :( seemed content to stay at our own pool

Went out on the Hobi Cat that was a blast you can get that right down at the beach.

Drinks were good and plentiful never had to wait at all great service at the bars and by the pool.

Nightly entertainment was also enjoyable.

i guess my only complaint would be the lineups at the bank to exchange money and for the al a cart restraunts.

spoke to a couple of people that had some other issues but we were well looked after.

We took a trip to Trinidad one day ,wouldnt do that again really long day drive and it was a day away from the relaxing that we came down for. Found the food on the tour ( which was included poor at best.

All in all I would recommend this place for couples that want some relaxing or I guess even families in the park suite section ( which we stayed away from )

Room Tip: SPA section for sure
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends