All reviewswilderness lodgean abundanceblack beansrandistorieshoststrailcovealaskaaccommodationssettingmealshomerottersgourmet
Reviewed October 14, 2016

I suppose that some people are never happy so I just had to write a review of my very favorite place in Alaska- Sadie Cove Wilderness Lodge. Everything is perfect from the cabins to the food to the wildlife, the trails, and so much more. Hosts - Keith and Randi Iverson are charming, courteous, aware of our needs at all times and really go the extra mile. They are, of course, safety conscious. This is, of course, Alaska where the ocean is cold and the wildlife can sometimes be intimidating, but both Keith and Randi explain everything to make our trips to the back and beyond great ones. We have visited many times in the last 30 years and will continue to visit in the years to come. While this is not the Hilton, it is perfect for the Alaskan wilderness. Anyone who is unhappy here should book a more predictable hotel in the city.
Many thanks to our hosts for years of fun, laughter, great meals, and stories of their adventures.

Room Tip: All of the cabins have great views of the ocean. The ones up high on the hill are the most private.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank kjallstrom
Reviewed August 18, 2016

Despite the fact that Sadie Cove is a remote hotel in a beautiful part of Alaska, it leaves much to be desired. The lodge was built in the 70s and needs care, maintenance and a good clean. The rooms are basic and have toilets separated by a curtain. Some of the deck planking is rotting and the rock stairway and loose railing to the upper cabin were unsafe in slippery conditions. Overall, the lodge felt a bit run down.

We tried to go hiking on the "secret nature trails for use of lodge guests only" but the one and only trail was overgrown and impenetrable. No one had maintained the trail for years. Another day, we went kayaking to a nearby cove. The kayaks do not have spray skirts or rudders, which makes ocean kayaking a bit treacherous (especially in an old plastic boat). The halibut dock is unsafe and cannot be used for fishing.

Overall, we had a nice experience due to the beautiful location but felt that the prices were WAY too much. I would equate it to paying high-end prices to go visit your aunt's house. On top of $550/person, there is an 18% service charge that seemed not commensurate with services provided. If value is not a consideration for future guests, they may enjoy this basic facility, but we were very disappointed with our cost to value ratio.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank user9988765
Reviewed March 12, 2015

We have returned to Sadie Cove because of our previous experience of staying there. We will return as often as time allows!
We have stayed in both the Eagle cabin which is a cozy, comfortable cabin with a beautiful view. (There is a very short pathway slightly uphill but it's well worth the minimal effort to get up there. The view overlooks Sadie Cove and the mountains and is just spectacular! There is a toilet and sink in the room as well as a heater if necessary.) We have also stayed in the Wharf room on the main level of the lodge. That room is quite large with more beds upstairs. Books line the shelves and the view looks out to the cove. There is a toilet and sink in the room as well as a heater. Although we have not stayed in the sailboat room, Randi and Keith kindly offered to show it to us. It was adorable and I would love to stay there the next time we go to Sadie Cove!
Next to the sailboat is a sauna and shower. I read a previous guests' comments about the shower and how the sauna had to be heated before the shower. It's only necessary to heat the sauna if you are taking a sauna and Keith is very accommodating with heating it whenever you feel like using the sauna. The shower is amazing! I've never seen such a beautiful shower view in my life! It overlooks a stream and is just spectacular!
We loved walking the beach and kayaking the cove. There is not a lack of things to do there. We have also fished off their floating dock and brought home an abundance of halibut fillets! Make sure you bring your own tackle and bait--but the Iverson's supply the poles. You don't need to book a fishing boat to fish while in Alaska!
Now to the best part: Keith and Randi are amazing hosts and take care of your every need! Randi is a wonderful chef and usually cooks up fresh seafood from their waters. They also have gardens and grow many of their vegetables. Along with the fresh raspberries that grow on the property, you won't go hungry! Keith has many stories to tell from his years in Sadie. (He built the entire lodge by hand when he was a young man, the detail in the lodge is amazing!)
After dinner, Randi set out some salmon on the deck railing and their "resident eagle", Bertha swooped in for photo opportunities! She is wild, but because the Iverson's live there year 'round, she is accustomed to people.
We booked a water taxi thru Mako's out of Homer, it's about a 25 minute ride and usually you can see wildlife. We even saw a humpback whale last summer!
Make sure you book a bear adventure through Alaska Bear Adventures, that was another highlight of our trip!
I have let the Iversons know that I would be happy to talk to anybody in person if they want a first hand account of staying at Sadie Cove. Just call or email them and ask for Coco's phone number.
This Hawaiian LOVES Alaska and Sadie Cove!!

Room Tip: For a gorgeous view, ask for the Eagle cabin; for people who do not want to walk a short pathway to the Eagle cabin, ask for the large cabin on the wharf. The sailboat room is also quite unique and fun to stay in!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank cocoemberson
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We had a wonderful time at this very special, secluded resort. Our hosts Randi and Keith had the perfect blend of attention and respectful separateness. We were treated to their first-class, rustic resort accommodations up in the trees. Randi's food was so good, I could hardly believe I was hungry again for the next meal. The fresh grown on-property salads and culled from the water mussels were especially delicious. If you're an artist of any kind you'll appreciate the simple, but elegant craftsmanship in Keith's handmade structures. Hard to believe that one guy could have built the whole place by hand.
You won't be disappointed by your stay at Sadie Cove Wilderness Lodge.

Room Tip: The rooms up in the trees had amazing views but all the rooms are charmingly beautiful.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank HappyTraveler741
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We have just spent four nights at the lodge. It was a unique experience for us. As their website indicates, the buildings and cabins were hand built. Our cabin was the original kitchen and for some reason still had a stove in the middle of the floor. The website led me to believe that the cabin had a bathroom, which in my mind indicated a place for bathing. That is incorrect. We did have a toilet and a sink, but to shower required more effort. The owners, Keith and Randi, have to heat up a building containing a sauna, it takes about 30 minutes, and then you go to the building, and use the shower, which has windows so it is like showering outside. It was very unique. The hosts are very accommodating and did not have any problem setting it up at any time. I did not mind it for the three showers I took, but would not want this arrangement with a group of people. My husband and I were the only guests. I also did not appreciate the bed size, and location. Although our cabin had a queen size bed, which was comfortable, it was up some very steep stairs and under sharply sloping eves, we were afraid that we would bump our heads if we slept in that bed, the other choices were a twin bed and a small double bed against the wall.

All that being said, the location is spectacular. A bald eagle, named Bertha by the hosts would swoop down and scoop up herring chunks. The peace and serenity were amazing. There is no tv, no internet,and no wireless service.

Randi is an amazing cook, she prepared one of the fish we caught for us and it was great. I got a short lesson on cooking halibut.

Things to know: Call and talk with Randi. Ask about the beds location of the cabin, etc. I wish I would have picked up the phone and not just emailed. Be sure you understand if charges are per person or per activity. It is difficult and expensive to leave the property so you may want to do bear viewing, fishing while staying in Homer. We would have been good with just 3 nights.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple