Borneo Rainforest Lodge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Danum Valley Conservation Area
See available hotels
  • Restaurant
Kingston Hotel(Lahad Datu)
Hotel Ocean(Lahad Datu)
Hung Wing Hotel(Sandakan)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe riverred leaf monkeyscanopy walkleech socksdanum valleydeluxe roomlahad datunight walkprivate guideour honeymoonslow lorismouse deermain buildinggift shopwild orangutanssambar deerworth every penny
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

We visited the BRL in October and had a wonderful three days in a small villa on the river. We had an excellent guide who took us out into the jungle anytime of the day and we saw Various Monkeys, bats, squirrels, orangutang, hornbills and reptiles. The primary rainforest was a wonder of this world and such a privilege to see a healthy primary rainforest untouched by forestry. The food was excellent and plentiful! Went with my partner and would highly recommend this destination for a honeymoon. It was one of the highlights of our trip in Sabah. I would love to go back for longer.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2017

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the amazing BRL. As soon as we arrived we were taken to the front of the main building to see one of their regular visitors, an Orangutan called Son, sitting in a tree outside the restaurant! The main building and restaurant area is very impressive with amazing views towards the jungle. Lovely place to eat and enjoy a beer! We thought the food here was pretty good but I wouldn't give it the rave reviews some people do - it was very good considering you are in the middle of the jungle. We had one of the older delux rooms (wish we'd got one of the new ones when we saw them!) which had an outside bath on the deck, looking out to the jungle. We loved this and spent a fair amount of time cooling of in it and spotting monkeys, birds and other wildlife passing by! We did some short trecks, we didn't fancy the long ones in the heat. We were still lucky to see Orangutans on the way to breakfast each day, as well as red leaf monkeys, a tarantula on the night walk and lots of beautiful butterflies.

I have to admit that I struggled to sleep on the first night there as it was so hot. I didn't find that the fan cooled the room much. Luckily for me it rained the next day which cooled the temperature a bit for the rest of our stay. They don't have air con as it us an eco lodge, but their conference room has air con......also, I wonder if more modern systems might be more eco friendly? I think having rooms with air con would really improve comfort. However, the room was lovely and the sounds of the jungle are amazing!

We found the service here very good, staff really want you to enjoy your stay and they really look after you. We had an issue with our transfer to Lahad Datu at the end if our stay which we reported to management. This was dealt with and a bottle if champagne sent to our next hotel by way of apology. Very impressed. BRL is an amazing and worthwhile experience which I highly recommend, I might wait until they have rooms with air con before returning....

Room Tip: Ask for a newer delux room
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

Rooms are reasonably nice but nothing special. Was expecting way better for the price. We've stayed for 3 nights and the room smelled really dump already on the second night. The humidity is extreme! Not sure the hotel is to be blamed. Have stayed in the deluxe room and it had no aircon, only a fan which we surprisingly didn't mind.
The staff is extremely friendly and the tours are interesting. Managed to see Organgutans a few times, which apparently is extremely rare! They were quite possibly the highlight. The scenery is gorgeous; absolutely fascinating. The leaches are less fascinating! You can get them anywhere! Even underneath the leach socks.
Overall good experience; 2 full days and 2 nights would have been enough. Then again we were very lucky to see most of the animals on our 1st and 2nd day.
The food was great! Large variety, full of flavour and freshly cooked. I am very picky with my food and it hit the mark.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2017

We spent 3 nights here as part of our trip to Borneo. We stayed in the standard room and the accommodations were beautiful. The staff were excellent and extremely helpful. The food was just outstanding - I did not expect such a spread in the middle of the forest!

The Danum valley is an excellent place to look for birds and mammals. We were lucky to see the Orangutans on a daily basis and saw several species of birds. We also saw the leopard cat and Colugo on the lodge grounds. The forests do have leeches and you would be well advised to buy a pair of leech socks

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

We had a wonderful 2 night stay here. Every element of what they do is excellent. The rooms are comfortable, spacious and elegant. The food is exceptional considering the location. The activities are informative and the guides are a credit. The way they stagger the times of groups departing for trips means the treks are quiet. Transfers were also smooth.
Our guide Rudy was knowledgeable, and very friendly as well as considerate to our needs.
The surroundings are breathtakingly beautiful. We were lucky to see a number or orangutans over our 3 days.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family