We had been recommended this hotel by friends of ours who visited last year. They had told us about the lovely owner who personally greeted all the guests – not unlike a lot of the reviews. We booked with the expectation of a personal hotel and not a resort which we dislike. So we had booked this hotel with a completely different expectation of the hotel than what we experienced on our stay in the first week of March 12.
The road to this hotel is an experience in its self. My partner who fancies himself as a rally driver really enjoyed himself but even he got a bit tired after an hour on the unpaved roads. You need a 4x4 to reach this hotel! It is part of the fun though!
We appreciated the welcome drink when we arrived!
We were met by a very nice girl at reception but the man who showed our room was not very friendly and seemed in a rush. It may be a language thing. The room itself was very nice.
We booked a sea view room and the view from the balcony is stunning. The rooms are the closest to the beach – closer than the suites. The room was very clean with complimentary coffee and ice. The balcony is large – with the only niggle is the noisy and ugly AC on the balcony. We have the same problem at home but have it build in a wooden case with ventilation to disguise it.
The view from the balcony is as stunning as the view from the pool. The beach is white sand lined with palm trees but the sea is rather ruff. My partner had fun but luckily I had a wonderful view from the pool without the waves! The same stunning view is enjoyed from the restaurant.
But… probably because the owner was not present the atmosphere was not that of a personal hotel. As a couple wanting a secluded quite couple of days together we didn’t really appreciate the over familiar waiters. It may be because there are so many Americans in Costa Rica and the waiters learn the manners from them but we didn’t appreciate being called Hi Guys.
The golf course is badly maintained and more mini golf than real golf. We wanted some exercise so didn’t hire a buggy but our advise is hire the buggy. There are no benches – no real shade and no club house . Don’t come here for the golf course.
The food at the pool restaurant was very poor. There was a choice of about 4 different hamburgers with French fries which gives an indication of the level of menu choice. The tuna fish sandwich was made with tinned tuna – in a county like Costa Rica! And mixed with a lot of mayonnaise that the sandwich was so wet it was like a sandwich you get at a petrol station. The salad was no better in quality. The drinks were served in plastic cups even when sitting in the restaurant. I understand that for safety they use them for drinks at the pool but in the restaurant! We felt as if we were in a all inclusive resort and not a quality hotel.
At dinner we wanted some advise on the wine card but discovered that most of the waiters did not speak English and nobody had any knowledge of the wine. When we asked for advise on a nice strong wine we were advised a Pinot Noir! We looked around and discovered that most of the guests seemed to be drinking cocktails or cola with their meals. This may explain the lack of knowledge of the wine. The menu was resort unimaginative resort food stuck somewhere in the 80’s with show cooking like Caesar Salad mixed at the table, shrimp cocktail mixed with loads of mayonnaise and desserts like banana split. Some of the guests took pictures of the show made of the flambé dessert. Maybe we are just spoiled but we liked this 20 years ago but now its rather naff. The food we ordered was ok. What you would expect from a resort. One night everything was served with a baked potato and the next day everything including the steak was served with rice.
Such a pity that in a country like Costa Rica with all the fresh fruit and spices grown in the country that all the food is shop bought - the ice cream choice is synthetic shop bought vanilla, strawberry and chocolate. – the fruit juice at breakfast is from a packet.
All in all the resort is situated on a wonderful beach – the rooms are nice – the views are fantastic but expect a resort with resort food. To quote a friend of mine – there’s nothing wrong with it we just didn’t like it. But maybe we should come back and give it another chance when the owner is on the premises.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The well-hidden secret of Tango Mar is located on the beautiful, deserted Quizales beach at the Nicoya Peninsula on Costa Rica's Pacific Coast. It is a 150-acre (60Ha) exclusive private beachfront reserve with ample of added attractions. The blend of fine accommodations with exuberant jungle vegetation, exotic birds and wildlife makes Tango Mar the ideal hideaway for anyone who wants to enjoy refinement in a natural setting. With only 45 rooms, the philosophy of Tango Mar is to provide a personal, friendly, relaxed and attentive service Tango Mar has a 9-hole Executive Golf Course (par 3 and par 4), two lightened tennis courts, a soccer field, four swimming pools, stables with horses, 2 restaurants and bars, meeting room, Spa, an organic garden and natural trails. It offers different types of lodgings; Beahfront rooms that mainly cater to families, Tropical Suites and Deluxe Beachfront Rooms for couples and Tiki suites for the most demanding. All rooms have been recently renovated, have a private bath and are equipped with a/c, phone, satellite TV, a safety deposit box, WIFI, minibar upon request and a coffee maker with complementary coffee. We also have private beachfront Villas for families or small groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity.ca, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa And Golf Resort
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Hotel Tambor
- Tango Mar Beach Hotel
- Tango Mar Beach Tambor