Rainbow Valley Lodge
US$65
US$229
Hotels.com
US$45
Hotel El Sueno(Santa Elena)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe ownercloud forestcosta ricahis wifein townwhite faced monkeyscoffee makerthe perfect place to staysmall kitchenettean incredible viewsurrounded by naturean amazing hostrustic charmmonteverde reservelarge windowsgreat recommendationsrecommend this place
Reviewed March 13, 2012

You cannot beat this place for the price. You just can't. While the rooms aren't luxurious or modern, they're equipped with everything you might need (including bananas to feed the wildlife), and they are IMPECCABLY clean. Rolf, the owner is a great person to talk to, and has a wealth of knowledge about the area and Costa Rica in general. It's a rough road up to the town of Santa Elena (Monteverde area), but we managed to make the trip in a small sedan. My one piece of advice is to make sure you get directions from Rolf prior to heading to the hotel. He had sent me directions but since our departure location had changed since I initially told Rolf, we relied on a GPS that led us to the Rainbow Valley RESTAURANT 90 miles away! If you are using a GPS, it will probably come up as simply "Rainbow Lodge." But regardless, Rolf is super accommodating and will happily send you directions. We had a great time hanging out on our front porch overlooking the mountains and feeding the coatimundis. Also, because this is only a 3 unit property, it's very private and peaceful. I highly recommend it!

Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Denise L
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Rolf is an amazing down to earth host. His property is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. We had never been to costa rica and did most of our research was online, so you never know what your realy going to get when you arrive at a place. The Rainbow valley lodge was more than I expected, just the view alone will take your breath away. Simple and amazing totally affordable and worth every penny, very well kept rooms, a host that can provide you with everything you need, close enough to everything, but out of the noise.
Thank you Rolf for everything, say Hi to diego for us
Jamie and Amanda

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank taiobean
Reviewed March 2, 2012

The Rainbow Valley Lodge was a great place for me an my 2 kids, 11 and 13, to stay for visiting the Monteverde Cloud Forest. We were only there for 2 nights and were busy during the day, but it was quiet and comfortable with fantastic views. The owner, Rolf, is warm, welcoming, and full of recommendations for local activities and restaurants. He arranged our canopy tour and a night hike, both of which I recommend. The price was very reasonable. Our room was very comfortable and we appreciated the hot shower! I thought the location just outside of Santa Elena was great - Santa Elena is a pretty busy little town, so it was nice to be just outside and feel more a part of the incredible landscape yet still close to everything. I would definitely go back and highly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The room rates are very economical especially considering their size, finish, furnishings and cleanliness. The setting cannot be beat-beautiful views of the cloud forest and monkeys in the trees a few feet away. That all adds up to what I and many other reviewers say is the best place to stay in Monteverde. What really sets this lodge apart from the many, many places I have stayed in around the world is Rolf, the manager of the lodge. Rolf is friendly, goes out of his way to be extremely helpful, gives excellent advice on the best activities, got us deals on tours, and assisted us with our transportation plans. If three outfits offer the same tour Rolf knows which is best-and it's not driven by anything he gets out of it. When I saw Rolf in town it was obvious he was friends with residents and garnered their respect. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Upper room has a kitchenette and excellent views.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Rolf is the owner of this beautifully kept secret. He is a great guy and his focus is to please his customers. His cabanas are well kept and all have an unbelievable views of the cloud forest. Yes we did see rainbows on more than one occasion. Moneys were right outside our window. We also saw Coatis. Rolf will also give you great direction on all there is to do and see. I can not emphasize enough that if you are going to visit Monteverde, you definitely should stay with Rolf at the Rainbow Valley Lodge. Thanks for an awesome stay!

Room Tip: all the rooms are great. The best was ours..Upstairs
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends