All reviews good quality food harbour area stay overnight hundred yards ferry port rooms are clean no lift free wifi on arrival havre lorries portsmouth ideal reception france key luggage
Reviewed October 22, 2017 via mobile

The hotel is of the old fashioned French type. A little dilapidated and missing some of the modern accessories. Having said that, despite some earlier comments, the staff were very helpful. It’s true that nobody was on reception on arrival but I just opened the kitchen door and the manager arrived to check me in and was very friendly.

Room perfectly adequate. Quiet, comfy bed and basic en suite. No tea/ coffee machine. A very busy atmospheric bistro downstairs offering a good range of inexpensive traditional French dishes. Free WiFi!!

Superb location for Portsmouth ferry just a few hundred yards up the road. And at €60 pet room not bad value.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed September 23, 2017 via mobile

Reasonable hotel, good price, friendly staff, nothing special except the location for the ferry.

However what concerned me was the small groups of immigrants hanging around trying to find a way onto the ferry. I didn’t feel happy leaving my car overnight on the road outside the hotel although nothing happened.

I would probably change my travel plans and not stay overnight, or find a hotel with secure parking because of this.

1  Thank SomersetUKJohn
Reviewed September 22, 2017 via mobile

Convenient for the ferry this hotel is an excellent place to either begin or end your adventure in France. Good quality food at reasonable prices. Visiting reasonably priced hotels at the end of the season can often lead to rooms that have seen better days and need some TLC. Not so at the Du Phare. Our en suite room was not big, but more than adequate obviously freshly decorated this season and spotlessly clean.

The key to running a successful hotel of this type is the attitude of the staff. Excellent trained staff, polite, friendly and well managed. My wife and I were concerned about the security of our camper van being parked one road outside due to some security issues in the port. When I discussed this with the owner she didn't hesitate but invited us to put the van in their private secure yard. Excellent service, we will be back.

Reviewed September 13, 2017 via mobile

Does a nicely adequate job for an overnight before or after the ferry. Ours from Portsmouth was delayed almost 2 hours so did not check in until 23.30hrs but they were there waiting for us before closing up. Nice friendly reception.
Room was small but clean. Breakfast typically French. For the price, about right and scores high on location.

Reviewed September 4, 2017

I wasn't happy when I arrived at Le Phare. My carboot had jammed shut with a friend's suitcase inside together with all my stuff. And I had an important meeting the next day!
To my utter delight, staff fixed the problem and made me smile again (partly thanks to a glass of rose).
This is an excellent bargain choice close to the ferry port with clean and smart rooms. There are many good-value restaurants nearby. The only snag is that it can be a little noisy first thing when lorries start arriving for the early sailings. But I'd forgive anything at a place where they fixed my car!!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo