Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.comUS$224
CheapTicketsUS$224
TravelocityUS$224
Orbitz.comUS$224
TripadvisorUS$224
Destinia.com
All reviews river view history interior spa table smoking lahn gem furniture century gentleman relaxation balcony germany health
Selected filters
Reviewed January 11, 2020

For a 5 star hotel I expected much much more! In my eyes this is nothing more than a glorified 3 star hotel. The thing which got me the most was to be told that iphone 5 is not compatible with our hotel wifi system!! can you believe that? The second thing that bothered me was the terrible shower system. No tray or enclosure, the water just sprayed all over the bathroom floor! When I complained about these 2 issues, I only got "we are very sorry"

Date of stay: December 2019
1  Thank richardmarti1969
Reviewed December 23, 2019

You will feel like a 19th century aristocrat the moment you set eyes on Haeckers Grand Hotel in Bad Ems. The ornate stucco walls will appeal to those that appreciate 19th Century architecture. The interior...woagh, it was mind bowling and opulent in a way only 1800s hotels can be. Marbel, granite, polished timber, ornate plaster work...it was simply breath taking! The desk clerk Laszlo was a gentleman and a hive of information. All the staff tried hard to be accommodating and helpful. Our room looked recently renovated and was large with a coach, coffee table and marvellous new bathroom. Breakfast was superb, though there was a rather unfortunate and unsavoury incident with a tall, swarthy and arrogant staff member who would not let us sit at a table in the breakfast area for no apparent reason. He shifted us onto a table that had been used and had to be cleaned and prepared - which was OK, but his arrogant, surly demeanour was unbecoming of such a fine establishment. Not to worry, the rest of the staff were all delightful and left a positive impression. The hotel is a gem that many outside of Germany are probably unaware of it's existence, but the cavalcade of famous historical guests that have stayed there make it a must for history and literature lovers. We will stay again one day, but this time for much longer!

Room tip: A river view room would be the optimum experience.
Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed August 11, 2019

Stayed here for a week in February. Being a Spa town, the hotel offers a variety of saunas in addition to a spa. This was my favorite part of the hotel.
Another was the breakfast, elaborate and the variety was amazing.
Lunch and dinner was available, but prices were a bit ridiculous.
Rooms were average for the price. While booking it said mountain view room, however no such view existed. The staff were friendly and helpful.
I would stay here again if I visited Bad Ems but probably get a river facing room.

Room tip: Book a river facing room.
Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed June 23, 2019 via mobile

Positives: Bad Ems idyllic and nice, hotel great location. Room clean but decor outdated. Breakfast with a good variety . Swimming pool and wellness area very nice.

Negatives: reception staff needs improvement, and further training in customer service and awareness of guests needs. Found attitude of gentleman on reception extremely unprofessional at check in and check out.
Hotel bar empty on a Saturday evening- dissappointing.

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank WSC1206
Reviewed January 22, 2019

This was our second hotel on our 2018 Grand Tour (GT) in Europe. We had travelled from Valkenburg, Netherlands, then via Koblenz, which was very busy, through the Malberg Tunnel, and then dramatically popping out in the middle of the town, quite a drive!

We had great expectations for this stay. This impressive hotel, with it’s rich history was the highlight of our GT 2018. Our expectations were high, but did it live up to our expectations, and deliver the experience promised! The exterior / interior views of the hotel, and it’s web site build your expectations, and to be truthful the hotel is as grand as it’s photos both inside and outside depict, and it has a suburb location on the river Lahn. So on first glance it seems to fit the bill.

I parked our car in a small roped off area immediately in front of the hotel, it never moved from there the whole of our stay. The room we were given was river facing and the door led onto a long communal / public hotel balcony that extends all the way to the doors of the restaurant and then there are steps down to the frontage of the hotel to the right of the entrance

This hotel is really as huge as it looks, and is exactly as shown on the website, but where are the guests? We arrived in June, to basically what seemed to us to be an empty hotel. There are elegant chairs, huge wide settees, tables, more tables everywhere, all one could see was tables and settees, but the hotel appeared almost empty! I never saw any of the seats in the lobby being used, and a max of ten guests in the huge restaurant for breakfast.

On to our room, it was all I think mahogany, I mean it’s everywhere, the bathroom its marble, again it’s everywhere, looks fabulous, so some serious money has been spent on this, but all this opulence is lost when you have bed sheets and pillows of lumpy and poor material. Now I have to mention the fantastic radiator, it’s the biggest I have ever seen, and in the winter if they get that going then you are not going to be cold in this room! But this wasn’t winter it was June, and hot weather. Without aircon the room was stifling hot, and I mean hot, the only way to get air in was via the door to the balcony. That can’t be left ajar as the balcony is shared with the outside world, so it has to be levered at an angle, not much of a gap but better than nothing, but then you get the flies and smoke from the other guests smoking on the communal balcony. They did give us a very powerful large tall fan that gave out a draft but of course it just moves the air around, and every morning I woke up in a pool perspiration, not pleasant at all, but to counter all this the bathroom was large and excellent, to say it was fabulous would not be an exaggeration.

One highlight we had planned was to have an evening meal in the hotel’s elegantly decorated restaurant, even bought my dinner suit over with me for the occasion, after all a hotel like this deserves it, but after what we had seen at breakfast, we decided we did not fancy a meal however well cooked in a vast empty dining room, however the splendid the room was itself.

Could the hotel be improved? Well a start could be made by tidying up the tile that has dropped off the outside stairs up to the restaurant level, and why of why would anyone in their right mind in hotel of a standard like this, place a plastic cheap “silver coated” spoon, like the one that would be included in a child’s doll house, on the coffee tray in one’s room!. Also, it seems to me odd for a one hundred and six room hotel to have only nine reviews so far up to December 2018, and only four in the whole of 2017, after all this hotel is a unique and really special hotel. So it deserves more reviews.

I would imagine a corporate function (so the hotel is busy), taking place in the winter months (so therefore no sweltering heat), would be the best time to visit, and don’t take a room that leads onto the shared balcony, so besides all I have mentioned previously, which all except for the lack of air-con can be fixed quite easily, this is without doubt an historic and very special hotel that should be on everyone’s list of hotels to visit.

Before I finish here are few things you can do using Bad Ems as a base. Get the train along the Lahn to Limburg an der Lahn, a delightful German town that just happens to be twinned with Lichfield in Staffordshire, really this is not to be missed. Another trip is to get the train to Koblenz, then by train by the Rhine past Boppard to say Sankt Goar, and then cruise back along the Rhine to Koblenz, then back by train to Bad Ems.

Date of stay: June 2018