My wife and I stayed at this hotel in September. The area had great weather beautiful blue sky's and great temperatures. The hotel is located in a relatively quiet area call Konkini Hani, and not in Gouves as you may think. The location is also only 10 mins in the local bus from Heraklion. The busses are good value picked up just outside the hotel and can transport you to Malia, etc.
As for the hotel, the staff were friendly, and the communal areas well appointed and clean. The beach chairs were very well laid with unconstructed sun if you want it. The beach beds are however reserved either for the paying public or I think if you are in the high end suites. The only thing that spoilt the beach wa she accumulation of seaweed (naturally) but this was removed by a tractor. The problem with this was it was not done at night or in the evening it was undertaken during the middle of the day when patrons were trying to relax.....Not good.
The bungalow was the biggest let down for us on the holiday. It was VERY basic with ROCK hard pillows (changing made no difference). Everything just looked tired, wardrobe, table draws, and bedside table.
The bathroom was poorly designed, sorry for larger folk! The door opened right onto the loo! We had no hot water on 3 separate occasions (I don't care how hot the climate is), and then there were the ants. Firstly the very small ones which I tried to manage and block access. The hotel only cleaned up after us raising the issue, using no preventative measures. Later in the week the problem was exacerbated when larger black ants took over the bungalow, swarming over the bathroom and in the bedroom area where again no preventative measures were utilised by the hotel staff.
We booked a day trip to visit sites on the island, however this was cancelled the night before we went and as the trip was planned for the last day before we departed we missed opportunities. Poor communication!
As for food and drink, my biggest grip was the fact that you could not get alcohol at the beach bar.......must have been a cost cutting measure, which was ridiculous for patrons. Drinks only available from the lobby bar...no trunks, etc, or the pool bar which was at the far end of the hotel site 2 - 3 mins walk away.....for a drink. The all inclusive pack also gives solely local drinks, which take some getting used to. The restaurant was OK but it should have had a few more members of staff on at times. The food was average, nothing to really look forward to.
If you can afford it please visit the Al la Carte restaurant Swell. It was fantastic, truly, the food was 10/10.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Knossos Beach Bungalows & Suites is a family owned resort, on the north coast of the picturesque island of Crete, Greece, built directly on a sandy beach with shallow waters, offering guests panoramic views of the blue Aegean Sea, with 39 Suites & Villas, 62 Bungalows Sea View, Water Front and Superior Water Front, and 34 Standard & Family Rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, getaroom.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Knossos Beach Bungalows & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Knossos Beach Bungalows Hotel Kokkini Hani
- Knossos Beach Bungalows And Suites
- Knossos Beach Hotel
- Hotel Knossos Beach
- Knossos Beach Bungalows & Suites Crete/Kokkini Hani