TripAdvisor
All reviewsvanilla podheadfort armscausey farmhen partytop classafternoon tealovely hotelgolf clubkeltic barnext morningwedding plannerevery member of staffsmoking areacouldn't do enoughfrom start to finishsecond to nonefood was amazing
Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

This has to be the worst stay I have had, not just in Ireland, in the world. I am so upset by my visit here I am almost in tears. This happens to be my last stop before heading home tomorrow too and this is not the thing I want to remember about my trip.

Upon arrival I had so much hope after reading great reviews and parking my car in the secure, free hotel lot. This stay was booked through Go Irish tours which has done a great job throughout my two week holiday. When I checked in I wasn’t even granted a smile by the man. The woman looked up but didn’t offer to help so the man had to check me in. He quickly told me about breakfast and how to work the lift and sent me on my way. It was so unwelcoming and rushed I felt a little weird. I walked through a bar and a restaurant I think, and wasn’t even granted a verbal tour of the place or where to get dinner etc. not to mention not one peep of what to do in the area or town.

So I went upstairs to find a very hot standard room. I opened a window and turned down the heat- no problem, I can’t fix that. Then I walked into the bathroom and was horrified. There was mud on the floor... I hope it was mud at least. I wiped it up with a towel and will try to use the bathroom as little as possible. I’m not one to complain so as of now I didn’t want to call down to the desk to complain that my room is hot or the bathroom is gross. I just fixed it as best I can. It’s fine.

I walked around the town to find something to do (I did stop on my way to Kells at a few tourists sites in Oldcastle that was lovely). Since I wasn’t given any recommendations I found a gift shop and popped in. And that was it. There was nothing else besides a few pubs, food store, shoe stores... maybe there is more but I wouldn’t know.
Came back to rest a bit and headed to the pub downstairs? Restaurant? I have no clue. Sat at the bar and ordered a drink and asked about ordering dinner- the woman bartender pointed to menus behind me and said “you eat in the dinning room”

Where is the dinning room???!! The tables right behind me? Also, I had to get up and walk over to get my own menu. It was odd because everyone else was being served and cared for. So I assumed I needed a table. I waited until a couple got up from one behind me and was eyeing it when a young guy waiter walked by and asked if I was ready to order. What? I thought I can’t eat at the bar. He said I could. Alright then. I ordered. Ugh. Meal was slightly below average. I hate sounding so picky because I’m not. But there are certain foods that should come hot and not just lukewarm. It’s gross/dangerous. Now I had finished (the bit I could eat) and wanted to get a second cider. I waited 18 mins before the new bartender gave me the time a day. I did get a second cider and before I took the last sip he did end up chatting with me- as I was ready to leave. That is the first time someone at this place pretended to be friendly. So thank you sir that was kind.

I also was hoping, as this was my last night, and I had read a previous review about the desserts, that I would get something sweet. The waitress took my plate quickly and never offered coffee or dessert. Ok I was done with that place. Decided I would come back to my room, I’m tired, maybe order a dessert to the room with a coffee drink for a nightcap. I have to leave early tomorrow so I thought that would be a nice quiet night.

Called room service- no answer. Called three more times- no answer. Called front desk to ask about room service they just put me through to the room service line and still no answer. I call the desk again to tell them they aren’t picking up and all they do is transfer me again! Instead, maybe ask what I would like and walk 30 feet to the restaurant to tell them to first, pick up the phone when it rings, and second, place my order for me. That would be a normal customer-centric thing to do. So again they don’t answer and I give up. I call the desk once more to tell them they are not picking up but forget it- I’m all set.

I hate leaving these reviews- I don’t think I ever have left such a horrible note. But this is just terrible service. I like to think I’m pretty easy - I guess I just request a little hospitality and a smile. I feel so unwelcome in this whole town. I will not recommend to anyone. I really wish I didn’t end my trip like this. This is so upsetting. Wish I stayed an extra night in my last spot.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank CaffeinatedTraveler
Olivia D, Owner at Headfort Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2018

Dear Lauren, we are really disappointed to receive this review which is not in keeping with our culture of friendly, homely service and atmosphere which you obviously did not experience on this occasion. I have taken time to review your experience and there are certainly shortfalls of service for which we apologise. It seems that the overall experience from start to finish was not a positive one. Colm checked you in on reception and whilst he did admit that it was extremely busy, he did greet you accordingly and welcome you to the Hotel. We cannot understand the housekeeping matter of mud in your bathroom but are disappointed that this was not brought to our attention on discovery and we would of course changed your room and investigated the situation there and then. In all rooms, there is a 'Boyne Valley Visitors Guide' with great ideas and activities as well as our guest directory, again if we had known that you required further information, walking maps, ideas for the evening we would gladly assist and we also have our information carousel in the Front Lobby. Alan our manager did try to contact you regarding room service without avail. We are sorry that we didn't make you feel more welcome and take your points on board which are important to us, Kind Regards, Olivia

Reviewed April 3, 2018

This hotel is very charming and in the centre of Kells. The staff were very pleasant and attentive. Rooms were very clean and breakfast was lovely. Busy hotel and a lovely bar to sit and relax in with the fire lighting.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Many thanks for your really kind review which means a lot to us here at the Headfort, we are glad to know that you enjoyed all elements of your stay including the Open Turf Fire in the lounge! We hope to welcome you back again soon in the future, Kind Regards, Olivia

Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

Me and a friend stayed here foe a wedding . When we arrived at 2.15pm our room was not ready, we had 1t mins to get our bags dropped and get changed prior to going to a wedding. The girl on reception swapped our rooms and done all she can. The room was fabulous would have loved to spend another day there. The breakfast was gorgpis everything we wanted. Will look forward to staying again

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends

Thankyou so much for your really kind feedback, it is great to know that we accommodated your Wedding and you managed to get you there on time! Your feedback is really welcomed and we hope that we can see you back for a longer stay in the near future to enjoy the facilities, the surrounding area or an inclusive package, Kind Regards, Olivia

Reviewed March 30, 2018 via mobile

From our welcome on arrival, until we left, we have nothing but praise for this establishment.

Secure parking, nice garden area, and our room was "ace"

Our room, No 28, was beautifully appointed, spacious, clean, quiet , only " hiccup" was the many stairs that were needed to access it. But the room compensated for the stiff climb!

We had a bar meal , (perfectly adequate) served by a cheery friendly waitress, and breakfast was, well, fantastic, again served by very friendly staff.

Such a pity it was our last day in Ireland, as it would have been great to have spent some more time in this hotel.

Stayed here some years back, and was impressed then, so much so, that we sought it out during this trip.

Well done to all who work here, your doing a grand job.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear James, we are delighted to know that we made your last day in Ireland such an enjoyable one! Thank you for your lovely feedback which is greatly appreciated, we would love to welcome you back on a return trip for a longer stay to explore the Boyle Valley and the ever expanding range of facilities and attractions in the area, next time, please do ask for a room on the same level as the elevator, it would be our pleasure to ensure you are accommodated to all your needs, we hope you got home safe and sound! Kindest Regards, Olivia

Reviewed March 27, 2018 via mobile

I have had the pleasure of staying at the Headfort two years ago for my cousins wedding three fantastic days , two years later I’m back for their twins christening and stayed again , the night before we had to stay in Navan and didn’t enjoy the hotel there , my girlfriend first visit to Ireland I knew the experience she would get at the Headfort would redeem me . From the warm welcome at reception, a lovely lunch and a beautiful room , and a great breakfast, she wanted to stay another night but we had too go to Dublin , we will definitely stay again and wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to anyone who wishes to stay in the area.
Kells is a beautiful town full of charm .
Thanks again to the wonderful staff at the Headfort, Irish hospitality at the very best .

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Ah! Paddy, thanks for your wonderful review which sums up the Headfort Welcome to a tee! It was great to have you return after a couple of years and know that we are living up to expectations, we hope to see you back again with us in the not too distant future and thanks again for the testimony, Kind Regards, Olivia