See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This place is located between the mountains and the splendid Arno valley. Beautiful wild and domestic animals live in its premises. The property is made of small, rustic buildings with a somewhat bohemian atmosphere. The owners and their 4 dogs are lovely. The only criticism is about the breakfast which was ok but a bit poor. It's the kind of place you never want to leave.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My family and I came to Fattoria Montalbano to enjoy a week of sun and relaxation, but what we found here totally exceeded all our expectations. The farm is set in a spectacular panorama of rolling tuscan hillsides, vines and olive groves, located between two charming traditional villages. The owner, Daniella, was really welcoming and made a real effort to make us feel comfortable on her gorgeous farm. The apartment itself was beautiful, with antique wooden furniture and a great view. A typical Tuscan dinner was provided on our first night which was surprisingly well priced for the delicious four courses and free flowing chianti, made on site!! My husband and I experienced our first taste of vin santo dessert wine (also made on the farm) and the children both had second helpings of the homemade timramisu! Breakfast every morning was another Tuscan experience, with Italian pastries still warm from the local bakery, fresh juice, and lovey cappuccinos. The children had so much to see and do here, swimming in the picturesque swimming pool, playing with the animals and exploring the local area. My daughter is now determined to become a farmer after a week helping to feed the goats and chickens! In the evening aperitivo was provided by the poolside, which was lit up with beautiful lights and soft music; a fantastic atmosphere to relax and enjoy a glass of prosecco and a few Italian nibbles! The local restaurants were great too, we visited two during our stay, Da Giacomo in Valambrosa and Passeger in Pietra Piana, the former being my personal favourite after a delicious black truffle pasta dish. Fattoria Montalbano was a huge success with my family, we will definitely be returning next year when the only thing that I would like to change is a longer stay! One week is just not enough in this charming rural retreat.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Fattoria Montalbano for 1 evening as a stop between Florence and Rome. While the people were very kind, there seemed to be a disconnect between our expectations and what was actually delivered.

Based on the pictures on their website, we had assumed that they made their own wine, sold wine (both by glass and by the bottle) and also had a dining room (see pictures on their website). We were traveling across Europe by train without a car and they had said that wouldn't be a problem. They picked us up from the train stop which was very kind.

When we arrived, everything seemed great. The place is beautiful, the pool was just as pictured and we were very happy. However, we later found out that they only served dinner on Wednesday nights.

Because we didn't have a car, we asked if they could call us a taxi so we could go out to eat. We then found out that taxis are not able to find Montalbano and they would have to drive us 2 km into town.

So they gave us a ride to the only restaurant in the town. They told us briefly how we'd get back but somehow my wife and I misunderstood. I thought someone from Montalbano would come pick us up after we finished. However, they couldn't so the waiter agreed to drive us back after we finished our meal. There also didn't seem to be much to do in the town.

We later asked if we could buy some of their wine to either drink there or take home with us. This question seemed to confuse them. They said it might be possible but not until the next morning when we were leaving. They didn't offer the wine the next morning and we never bothered to ask about it.

So in summary, the place is nice and the people are nice. However, you absolutely need a car and probably should have very specific plans for activities and food. I wouldn't recommend one of the rooms without a kitchen. In retrospect this was probably was a poor choice for us.

Room Tip: Get a room that has a kitchen because they don't serve any food except for breakfast pastries.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Paul C
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed here 19 years ago so was interested to see what it was like now as it was only just starting all those years ago and we enjoy the company of Danni and Luciano. Well it is now a large property with a beautiful pool and many many animals (a passion of . We stayed in the little apartment near the central home but had its own entrance and area to sit outside und the shade. I think it was called Vin Santo. Very comfortable and relaxing. This apartment did have wifi in the room as the office was below. Tiny TV and no English channels. It was very comfortable stay. Only problem was the dogs at night. They would bark all hours if they were disturbed, but a minor problem for a nice stay. There were apartments a long way from this area with their own pool. Did not look in but if you were wanting to be right away that would be the place. Few nice areas around and Danni has plenty of info on the good restaurants and huge discount shopping area. There was a lovely new modern restaurant that had wonderful meals at Reggallo (can't remember the name) but it was superb true Italian food and we ate there twice in a week and would highly recommend. A nice stay but was quite cool when we were there mid May

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2012

We have just visit the Farmhouse in mid Feb. The days were cold; however, we had received warm hospitality from the Farmhouse owner, Daniela. The Farmhouse is just around 5 km from The Outlet Mall in Florence, at the top of the hill. I was told by Daniela that the Farmhouse was built over 300 years ago. The scenery is beautiful and it’s very clean and tidy. Although the room is not big, you can walk around their big garden. Daniela was so kind to invite us to join dinner with her friends, sharing traditional Tuscany wine & food. It’s a fantastic experience to us, chat freely, share experiences & culture.
Definitely we will stay in this Farmhouse again when we visit Tuscany next time.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends