All reviews the owner olive oil nearby places to visit great wine tasting tranquil oasis two sinks lovely country included in the room price tuscan gem vineyards and olive trees cozy place common areas are beautiful property truffle hunt our room was spacious pasta thermal baths
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Tenuta Santo Pietro is a wonderful restored B&B near Pienza, IT. The staff is friendly and accommodating. The buffet breakfasts are excellent with many choices deliciously prepared. The can be eaten inside or on the veranda overlooking the vineyards and olive groves. Our room was comfortable and spacious with a beautiful view. there is a soaking tube in the large bathroom. The property in a working vineyard and olive producer. Innkeeper Giuseppe Savignano was the perfect host and his wine and olive oil are offered at the Inns restaurant. We had two dinners there and were very pleased both with the food and service. This place is a gem and not to be missed.

Room Tip: Our corner room "Vernaccia" was quiet, spacious and had a great view.
2  Thank Bob R
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We were on the first leg of our tour of Italy, looking for a family friendly Tuscany experience, and found it at the Tenuta Santo Pietro, just outside of Pienza. What a wonderful place, we loved everything about it. It’s what I would imagine to be a classic Tuscan villa, beautifully decorated and incredibly tasteful and charming, not to mention reasonably priced. The villa itself is surrounded by acres of beautiful fruit orchards, including grapes (they make their own wine), plums, figs, and apples. There are also countless kilometers of trails and quiet roads that you can hike along, and the scenery is amazing - great views of the beautiful Tuscan countryside.

The owner, Giuseppe, who speaks perfect English, was incredibly knowledgeable about the area and a great source of information and suggestions for activities. He not only knows a great deal about food and wine (they make their own wine at Tenuta Santo Pietro), but he was very insightful about the different towns, which restaurants to dine at, and how to travel about Italy as a whole.

From a family point of view, the place was ideal, though for the record, it’s a very picturesque and romantic location, perfect for weddings (which they host), honeymoons, or romantic getaways. Our room was very comfortable, clean and modern but with a rustic charm. We had the deluxe room for four adults, which I thought was a little strange because it had four bunk beds. This made it perfect for a family with two young children, but I can’t imagine four adults wanting to sleep in bunk beds, especially two couples. Either way, this was a small issue that worked in our favor.

They have a beautiful pool at Tenuta Santo Pietro, and we swam in it a lot. The service was wonderful and snacks or beverages are available with poolside service, if you wish. We were there in September, so the weather was cooler, but I can imagine that during hot summer days, poolside would be the place to be. While we were swimming, we could take a break and walk along the orchards and sample the plums and figs. There are even almond trees.

When we weren’t swimming or playing pool inside the lounge, we drove to some of the nearby towns, including Siena, which is a bit further away (about 60km), but well worth the trek. If you make it there, eat at Zest, one of my favorite restaurants during this trip. Towns worth visiting included Pienza, Montalcino and Montepulciano, all of which have a wonderful and rich history. In Pienza we really loved La Buca di Enea for a great local meal. Talk to Giuseppe for good advice and suggestions.

Tenuta Santo Pietro also has an amazing restaurant that serves delicious Tuscan dishes, including hearty stews, meats (beef and lamb) and pasta dishes. We ate there our first night and the pasta (Pici) with Ragu was delicious and the Tuscan tomato soup was the best I’d ever had. The restaurant also serves breakfast, which was amazing. They had a great selection of breads, tarts, and pastries, as well as homemade jams and preserves from fruits grown on the property. There was fresh local fruit, fresh juice, and plenty of hot coffee, so I could enjoy as much cafe Americano as I wanted. They will make you a fresh espresso or cappuccino to order. They also included cold cereals, cold cuts and a quiche/frittata with breakfast. I really enjoyed breakfast, especially eating it outside on the terrace.

The villa is ideally situated close to many nice towns, all of which are worth a visit. As I mentioned, Siena is a bit of a trek, but it’s an amazing city. Historically, it competed with Florence as the hotbed of Renaissance culture, and I had heard someone say that it has 1/2 the size of Florence, but twice number of historical artifacts. For me, I much preferred Siena, and it was one of the highlights of Italy. Pienza is smaller but much closer, and we were told we could walk there, but it’s an ambitious journey. You’re better off driving, taking a cab, or better yet, riding a bike. We tried to hike it, but somehow got lost, even though the town was always in our sights. Like most of these Medieval towns, they are built on the top of hills, so they are always in view. If you make it there, eat at La Buca di Enea for a great meal and a wonderful local experience.

All in all, we loved our time at Tenuta Santo Pietro, and for a family with children, I can’t recommend it enough, and can’t wait to go back. If you go, make sure to talk to Giuseppe about wine and local history, not to mention advice about nearby places to visit.

Room Tip: Talk to the owner, Giuseppe, for great advice about food, wine, cheese, and places to visit.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Fred L
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The views over the valley are amazing, but opt for a room on the garden side as the rooms on the road side may be noisey. The swimming pool is good, with good quality loungers etc. The garden is very well cared for.
The room we had was very comfortable and clean, we enjoyed the quiet well furnished sitting rooms and all the staff were helpful and very polite, especially the owner who helped with planning outings etc. We found the sevice at dinner in the evening slow and lacking in professionalism for this standard of hotel, however the food was excellent with a good choice.
The location was excellent, close to pieza, and the wonderful Val D'Orcia.

2  Thank Val3091
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I didn't stay here, I was just passing and saw the restaurant. The Pici was to die for. The owner gave me a tour on a map of the area after lunch and one of the staff gave me a tour of the property. Fantastic service, very very impressed. I will be back

Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Melb12345678
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We spent nearly a week of our holiday at Tenuta Santo Pietro and each day as I woke up to our views I was so glad we chose this place! We stayed in the Malvasia room which overlooked the immaculate grounds and Pienza in the distance. Our room was fabulous - beautiful bathroom facilities, robes, great bedding, and modern conveniences like wifi were nice to have if you needed them. Giuseppe and his staff were charming hosts. His recommendations on daytrips, restaurants, and wineries were spot-on and, but I think we most enjoyed our time hanging out in the hammock, on the couch, or on our private patio sipping some wonderful Vino Nobile! Wish I could give it 6 stars!

Also, for the people who say breakfast is basic, perhaps I am easy to please but the service was great, multiple bread, pastry options, fresh fruit, granola, yogurt, fresh juices and jams, eggs, frittatas... what else would you want?

Room Tip: The Malvasia room is quiet, has a wonderful layout, great landscape views and a private entry and balcony with sitting area. The bathroom is modern with a separate tub.
1  Thank cookchicTN