“Great stay!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Dildo B&B and Inns
St. John's
“Great stay!”
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I purchased a Groupon and had an excellent experience. We stayed in the Tizzard Room which was very comfortable. Dinner that night was great (the salmon was fantastic!) and had a lovely breakfast in the morning. Staff were friendly and welcoming, as was the owner.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank upsydaisydoo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reviewed 23 September 2011

From the moment I called to make a reservation the owner was extremely rude. The owners name is Todd Warren.

He sent me a confirmation email once I made the reservation and this was the first time there was reference to the policy that only children over 16 were allowed.

I checked the fine print I had printed off from the groupon website upon purchase. There was nothing referring to the policy or referring me to their website to check policies.

I called back the B&B as I had bought this groupon with the intent to use it on a trip across the island with my 11-month old daughter.

I simply asked about the policy in a very polite manner and the owner right away started to get upset that I was questioning this policy. I simply stated that I would not have bought this groupon if I had know this was an adults only spot. It was not a well advertised policy. When I said this, he responded by hanging up the phone.

When I called back I let them know that at this point it was not the policy that upset me but rather, the fact that he had been rude to me from the beginning and unwilling to speak to me. I also said that I was a paying customer and had a complaint to make. He said "well you should have read our website before you bought the groupon. I did not yell, degrade, or use any profound language at ANY point in the conversations I had with him.

I did ask for my money back and when I did he responded with: "This conversation is over, you are a very rude and ignorant person." He then proceeded to hang up on me again.

My boyfriend called back to smooth the waters and hopefully come to a compromise with the owner, however the owner was also rude to him and hung up on him as well.

We have purchased groupons in the past and had great experiences using them, unfortunately this time has turned out to be stressful.

After all this happening, we have no desire to stay there and have to deal with Mr. Warren face to face, so we contacted Groupon and fortunately they were awesome to deal with and we received a full refund.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank SmallOne2010
bhgi, Public Relations Manager at George House Heritage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 24 September 2011
Thank you for your review. We have made a couple of errors recently in regards to our Groupon promotion. We should have stated that the accommodations were based on two adults as that is what our guest suites accommodate at the bed and breakfast and that all Groupons must be booked by telephone - as it states to call but doesn't put that disclaimer that you must call.

Our Groupon response was overwhelming to our small boutique bed and breakfast with more than 400 telephone calls in the span of one week. We did not prepare our reception staff for that volume of activity and unfortunately it affected us.

Overall our response from our Groupon redemptions has been favourable. We did miss the mark in trying to get all of the calls returned in a timely fashion, and with playing telephone tag etc... The other frustration our front end team experienced was in explaining the few policies we have in regards to cancellations, occupancy etc...

In the case of your reservation we should have said on the telephone at the time of making the reservation that the booking was for two adults and including the dining and breakfast option. Our sister property Inn By The Bay does offer accommodations for families and thus we could have accommodated you there or you could have redeemed your Groupon at another time.

On behalf of the team at George House we extend our apologies for the experience you had on the phone. We have learned from this experience and rest assured that we will be working hard to regain our stellar reputation in customer service and attention.

We hope that you will consider us for a future visit and you can be assured that as we move forward with any future promotions that we will ensure that all policies will be noted as part of the promotion and that we have ramped up our staff to handle the incoming telephone calls and email inquiries.

Yours in hospitality, Dale Cameron
George House Heritage Bed and Breakfast
winnipeg
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We stayed in the Albert Room which was clean, comfortable, and quaint. Really appreciated the extra touches such as the scented sheets, the bathrobe/slippers etc. Staff was friendly & helpful throughout ... really enjoyed our brief visit in this lovely heritage home.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank canada1019
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Myself and wife stayed here for the first time and loved the charm of the B&B, the room we had (clean and comfortable), and the food. The customer service we received prior to staying, however, was lackluster. The reception we received when we arrived was good but we were apprehensive because of the delays we had when trying to make a reservation and the tone of the staff on the phone. I'm glad we came though because it ended up being a lovely weekend. Some pluses and some minuses. Good overall!

Room Tip: Try to get a jacuzzi room because it's so relaxing.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Blusey
Newfoundland
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I also bought a Groupon for this B&B and hoped to have a little get-away with my husband. It took 2 weeks of calling, leaving messages, and leaving web messages to finally get to speak with someone. When I left messages, I was told that the person who takes reservations didn't work until after business hours. I did have a few call-backs...one at 10pm even!...but they didn't leave me a message and the number was not listed/unidentified. It was also a 800 number so I didn't know who had called.

I finally was able to make a reservation and the customer service was bland. They said they were busy and that all the weekends for the next two months are booked. I wished they were more open and friendly/excited that I was a new customer and wanted to try out their business. I didn't even get recommendations on where to tour in the area, what to eat, etc.

I think they should have limited their Groupon availability or not offered it altogether if they couldn't handle the volume or calls. This program should be a way to get new guests and have people who wouldn't normally stay at this B&B try it out....a real opportunity to snag a return customer and someone who could refer other customers. Instead, I have a bad taste in my mouth already.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Karen2Fold
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Best food ever and wicked rooms I'm definitely coming here again

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank Oscar122
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Copy of e-mail sent to George House Heritage Bed and Breakfast:
Good day...I was just speaking with someone regarding a reservation I wished to make using a Groupon I had recently purchased. After making numerous calls and leaving messages with out receiving a response over a period of one week I cancelled the Groupon. When I told the gentleman who finally managed to return my call this, the snide attitude that I was spoken to with was startling. If this is what passes for "Customer Service" at this establishment I am glad that I will not be spending any time or money there. To believe that in this day and age you would expect someone to wait a week to make a reservation is approaching ludicrous. You can be sure that I will not be having any further dealings with this establishment and will make my opinion known withing my circle of friends and coworkers. This message will also be posted to TripAdvisor to help any other unfortunate potential customers before they also waste a week of their time.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ed W
CranfordKennel, Guest Relations Manager at George House Heritage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 28 August 2011
Thank you for emailing us and posting your reply on TripAdvisor.

Recently George House Heritage Bed and Breakfast partnered with Groupon for a promotion for the fall season. The one day promotion included accommodations, a dining package and a few other perks. Groupon anticipated that we would sell between 20 and 40 of these packages, which we were ready to deal with that level of reservation bookings.

To our delight and surprise we sold 253 packages in one day, which meant that our switchboard was extremely busy with new reservations for the Sea Level Dining Room as well as for accommodations. Many calls were inquiries for availability and for various room categories and many guests had to call back once they had their own plans determined. This meant that for a first few days after the promotion ended our phones were busier than normal.

For some guests it necessitated us taking names and telephone numbers and calling guests back with their confirmation numbers. While none of our team remembers any phone call from you with regards to a booking we did contact you once we received your email stating that it took more than a week for us to reply to your inquiry. We did have the date and room category available that you were looking for and offered to book accordingly, but at that time you had decided to not stay with us.

You spoke with Todd Warren, the Owner of George House Heritage Bed and Breakfast and if you felt that his telephone manner was inappropriate he sends his regrets.

The staff at George House Heritage Bed and Breakfast strive on providing exemplary customer service, providing top notch accommodations in a clean and pleasant environment. This season has been the busiest in the past 14 years for us and we have many new key learnings.

You will be pleased to know that all of our incoming telephone inquiries and on-line inquiries are deal with on a 4-hour turn around from 8am til 11pm daily.

Again, thank you for considering to stay with us and while you did not have a favourable customer service experience we hope that you will provide us with some leeway given the unexpected level of new bookings we experienced at the time you were looking to take advantage of the same promotion.

Yours in hospitality, Dale Cameron
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dildo
24.3 km away
21.0 km away
Stonewall Inn B&B
Stonewall Inn B&B
#2 of 2 in Spaniard's Bay

Been to George House Heritage Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!