All reviews the main house cellar bar devon countryside tennis courts devon view restaurant leisure facilities round of golf manor house the main hotel building hole golf course loft suite swimming pool steam room and sauna rolling hills superb views relaxing break wedding venue
Reviewed December 29, 2015 via mobile

We have just returned home from a fabulous Christmas at this lovely hotel. This is our second year staying at this wonderful venue for Christmas and met by far our expectations this year. We stayed in a feature room in the Manor House which I would recommend to anyone, beautifully appointed bedrooms all with a different themes, huge bedroom space and lovely bathroom.
The food and service was of an excellent standard, in particular the customer service from all staff was impeccable, you felt the staff actually cared about you personally none of this regimented corporate approach. The staff were friendly, attentive and efficient but also created a very relaxed atmosphere nothing was too much trouble flexible approach was always adopted, I don't believe I have ever experienced such an experience at any other hotel. All staff appeared to be genuine in creating a pleasant stay for their guests. I was part of a family party and we all felt we even got to know some of the staff and could just have an ordinary conversation with them.
All meals during our stay were exceptional, well presented tasted delicious with ample portions.
The singer who accompanied us through our Xmas eve meal was extremely good and the boxing evening extravaganza at the palazzo was a thoroughly enjoyable evening. The seven course meal on Xmas day was exquisite - plus there were beautifully prepared canapés, champagne, Buck's Fizz and champagne with cranberry Cointreau something I had not tried before but all these touches added to the ambience during our stay. Loved the breakfast muffins on Xmas morning.
It was a pity the weather being so wet meant the boys in our group could not use the golf course but as an alternative the golf simulator proved to be a good alternative.
Thank you to all the staff at Highbullen, especially Charlotte, Matt and Wayne in making our Christmas 2015 so memorable.
I would highly recommend this hotel too all. We have already booked for Xmas 2016.

Date of stay: December 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
RonnieOrr, General Manager at Highbullen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2015

Dear Karen S,

Thank you so much for your kind words - it means a lot to all of us. I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us over the Christmas Period - it was a lot of fun for us too!
I do hope that you will be making it three in a row, and joining us next Christmas too - we have already begun the planning process (although not sure how we can surpass Wayne`s congo on Boxing night!)
Hopefully you will be back to see us before then,
best wishes,
Ronnie

Reviewed December 20, 2015 via mobile

I stayed here for a weekend in October and had a very enjoyable time- the hotel was in a beautiful setting, the room was comfortable and the food was delicious.

I would have been very happy with my stay, had it not been for the poor service I received following the stay.

I realised on the way home I'd left my phone charger in the room- frustrating, but not the end of the world. I phoned the next day to be told my charger had been located, and could be sent to me if I paid £5.50, which I did, and the payment left my account immediately. I waited for the charger to arrive, making do in the meantime by charging my phone using my partner's and colleagues' chargers.

To cut a long story short, the charger never arrived. I emailed to inquire and had no response, so followed this up with a phone call, to be told "the person who would have posted your charger isn't in for a few days, we will be in touch once we've found out what has happened". That was the last I heard 6 weeks ago, and further emails I've sent have been ignored.

This is a disappointing end to what seemed to be a very straightforward process, and having taken £5.50 from me for postage, I do not know why Highbullen cannot track the parcel, if it was indeed sent in the first place. The lack of response from anybody is downright rude.

I would be very happy to hear from the hotel so they can explain what has happened, as I still do not have a charger. This has tainted my experience of the weekend and I do not feel able to recommend the hotel to friends.

Date of stay: October 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank evance00
RonnieOrr, General Manager at Highbullen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2015

Dear Evance00,
I was so disappointed to read your post, and how we had ruined what had been an enjoyable stay. No excuses, we got it wrong and please accept my sincere apologies. The charger was sent out as requested but appears to have been lost in transit, but our response after that was very poor and please be assured we have reviewed our procedures to ensure it does not happen again.
Could I ask you to give me a call, so that I can confirm the type of charger that was lost, and I will, of course, make sure that we get a replacement back to you.
Hopefully we can restore your confidence in our services, and we can welcome you back in the near future to enjoy all that Highbullen has to offer (and you can hopefully recommend us to your friends again!)
Kind regards,
Ronnie

Reviewed December 7, 2015 via mobile

Stayed for two nights at this lovely hotel. Beautifully appointed rooms, great food in the restaurant both nights and lovely staff. The house has a huge amount of character and a huge Christmas tree! The setting is lovely with views across the Devon countryside. We will be back!

Date of stay: December 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank fizzyDorking
RonnieOrr, Resort Director at Highbullen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2015

Dear fizzyDorking,

The team and I are so pleased to have made such an impression on you and that the Christmas tree was appreciated - it was quite a feat to decorate it!

Hopefully we will welcome you back in the New Year, if not before.

Kind regards

Ronnie Orr

Reviewed December 2, 2015

My son booked here for my wife and I for my birthday. He was proposing to book here for his future wedding. Lovely bedrooms which were very spacious . We ate at the rsturant which again was of good qulalty and excellant service.Later the next day we were shown the wedding venue it was fantastic. Very helpful staff and lovely location.

Date of stay: November 2015
1  Thank paulhV6181PQ

Dear paulhV6181PQ,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I'm delighted we made such an impression and that you and your family are considering choosing us for such an important day.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future,

Ronnie Orr

Reviewed November 15, 2015

We had two nights at this stunning hotel set in the glorious Devon countryside. From the moment we arrived all the staff were friendly and could not do enough for you. We stayed in a bedroom in the Courtyard. Very comfortable with a small terrace overlooking a lovely green area. Very quiet and just a short walk to the main hotel. Dinner was superb as was breakfast both served in the Devon View restaurant with fantastic views across the golf course and beautiful Devon countryside. Facilities are excellent with indoor and outdoor swimming pools, Gym, golf simulator. We had a wonderful stay and will return.

Date of stay: November 2015
1  Thank Nigel B
James H, General Manager at Highbullen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2015

Thank you for your wonderful review.

I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us so much. I will be sure to share your comments with the staff.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kindest regards and best wishes,

James