La Casa Del Arbol Camping Zone(El Jobo)(Great Value!)
US$20
Blue Dream Hotel(La Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$36
US$32
  • Beachfront
US$120
US$105
  • Pool
Costa Dulce(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
US$69
Villa Loma del Socorro(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
US$119
US$75
Hotels.com
Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort(San Juan del Sur)
US$25
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Encanto del Sur(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
US$30
US$17
Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa(San Juan del Sur)
US$295
Cancelon
Hotel Victoriano(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
US$62
US$60
Savings alert! 46% below average rates

The price you found is 46% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$112/night.

3,688 results
All reviewsdreams las mareasbeautiful resortpreferred clubzip liningseaside grillel patiopura vidaswim up barworld cafeliberia airportitalian restaurantour honeymoonall inclusive resortocean viewan excursionrecommend this resortseafood
Reviewed January 9, 2015

I'd like to start my review with expectation settling. If you need everything to go right for you on every aspect of your trip: this may not the place for you. You are visiting a foreign country, where the pace/English/wifi may not be the same as your everyday life. If you roll with the punches, have some patience, you'll be just fine.

We stayed from Dec 30-Jan 6th. Hotel was close to capacity on Dec 30/Dec31.

Rooms:
Bad - can easily here people above you, shower drain must share with neighbors or something because you can hear it draining at times when you are not using it. A quiet beeping alarm was going off on the first floor for the majority of the trip, outside doors do not go all the way to the ground - leaves, bugs could easily get in. We were on the 2nd floor and had no issues with bugs/critters. Room service nothing to write home about,
Good: nice decor, we received decent wifi in Building two. Not great, but could get a signal every once in a while. Showers were great, water flow was great. Always had hot water. Mini bar was good, we left notes each day on what we wanted (more juice and water) and they would jam that thing full of as many of them as they could fit.

Drinks: great, bartenders at manatee bar eager to have you try new drinks. Smoothies available. Plenty of good alcohol options, beer was a bit limited.

Food:
Hit or miss, but generally pretty good. We did breakfast at Seaside and enjoyed the fruit and breakfast burritos. They also had a buffet in Seaside so you could order off the menu and still go up and get hash browns/bacon if you liked. We did lunch here as well.
Portofino we disliked the first night (linguine with clams), but ordered different on another night and liked that a lot more (shrimp risotto, penne pasta)
Himitsu was ok. Sushi rolls were sufficient but didn't compare to good sushi. Sashimi was excellent. Hibachi was under whelming. Good/friendly cook, but agree with others that it was over cooked. You're going to want to give yourself a good hour and a half of you are doing hibachi.
El Patio was good, we only had once. Shrimp appetizer was our favorite.

It was just two of us, and we felt very lucky in that we hardly had to wait for a table. Our worst experience was Himitsu where we showed up at 6:30, got our name on the list and told it would be 2 hours. We were fine with that, grabbed a drink and a quick bite at the buffet and returned and were seated around 8:45. Never ever had a wait the rest of our week stay. The only true horror stories with dining was that sometimes a dish here and there would be forgotten. It may have been language barrier related, but we brushed it off and it didn’t occur very often.

Pool: the first day of our trip (Dec 30th), the resort was at near capacity. We had trouble finding pool seating this day only. Someone took ours/we took someone else's and got moved out of them (rudely by another customer). But after that, pool chairs were ample. If you see on your stay that the resort is near capacity: get to the pool before 8:15 and you should be fine. If not at capacity, chairs were available all day. If you're a drinker, service should be ample. My wife is pregnant, so we/I obviously didn't hit it hard but they keep you filled up.

Excursions: we did half day fishing/snorkeling thru Alex on the beach. Snorkeling was fantastic, we went to the national park and got on some great reefs and held puffer fish, starfish, etc. fishing is just ok as we just casted at some tuna and caught two. Great experience, but I felt $400 for the two of us was a bit steep. Find another couple to split this with.

Beach/Ocean: crystal clear water, beach is great. Vendors stand in shade at edge of hotel grounds and are friendly, they don't pester you. Didn't swim here (not a big ocean guy and heard there were jellyfish), but kids were swimming everyday. My wife (who has a terribly low tolerance for pain) got stung a few times on our snorkling excursion, but barely bothered her. Went looking for turtles 3 nights, and finally found one on our last night. Look for tracks (they look like tire tracks) or a turtle climbing out of the water. We missed a hatch one night by 30 min, and were told there were baby turtles everywhere when they hatched.

Services: gym was good, had towels and nice water. Free weights, some machines, 4 treadmills, 1 elliptical, 2 bikes. If you can figure out the secret code to turn on the TV's on the machines you deserve to work with Nic Cage finding the rest of the Declaration of Independence. Wife used the spa and loved it.

Wifi: you're in Costa Rica, what do you expect? I thought it was much better than how people have shared. Restaurants, near the adult pool (connect to the network names “Las Mareas – front”), coffee shop worked fine. I wouldn't expect to stream video, but you should be able to check email/twitter/'gram just fine. We facetimed with people at night near the coffee shop, and it worked perfectly.

Other: we brought tons of bug spray, never considered using it once – don’t need to bring. Power outages did occur, but never lasted more than 45 seconds and most were less than 5 seconds. Grounds were very safe, never felt like workers "peered at girls" like another reviewer said. A lot of walking. I averaged 10,000 steps a day just between walking to and from the room to the pool and to meals. Great exercise, but if you don’t like walking be warned. No need to exchange $$, leave a few bucks a day for maids and tip at the meals – they really appreciate it.

Please send me a message if you’d like any more specifics, happy to help! I updated this page every day leading up to our trip, so I know there may be many questions.

Room Tip: Higher floors for views/avoid bugs. Preferred buildings have less floors, except for one (#2). Building #2 has good location, but also has 4 levels. If you don't mind walking, I would ask for rooms closer to the ocean.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
9  Thank HumannTouch
Drelm E, Pre Arrival Concierge at Dreams Las Mareas Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2016

Dear valued

On behalf of the staff and Management of our resort we would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience with us. It was a pleasure being your hosts during your recent gateway to Costa Rica.

We're very glad to know you had a great time in our resort and enjoyed every activity we have to offer. We truly hope to have the opportunity to host you once again in a near future.

Reviewed January 7, 2015

I will start off by quoting my 8 year old daughter who said on our second day, "Mummy, this place has the perfect name, because being here feels like we are living in a Dream!"

I will admit we were a little apprehensive at following through with staying here after the rather negative reviews we had read. I am so, so glad that we vacationed here! We drove there in a rental car. The last 10 minutes on the road in was a bit bumpy, but I am sure it is much better by now as we saw a huge improvement in the roads when we left.

From the moment we arrived we experienced nothing less then superior service. We pulled up in our rental vehicle, which was quickly unloaded for us, handed the keys to the Valet, and Voila! Our "Dream Vacation" began!

I think I have a pretty high standard when it comes customer service because I worked for many years as a Senior, Corporate Travel Consultant.

The thing that impressed me the most was the fact that each and every employee does their job so well. They truly made us feel that their number one priority is that the guests have a wonderful vacation. Either this resort just lucked out and got a bunch of fantastic people, or, other resorts should find out who provides the training here!

Our room was lovely. The rooms must be soundproof because I heard absolutely no noise at all from other rooms, whilst in the room.

The resort is located on a horseshoe shaped bay, so it is a safe swimming beach. There are paddle boards, kayaks, snorkeling equipment and boogie boards. There are lots of fish and little rays playing in the surf (completely harmless, just remember to fan the bottom before you stand so that you don't step on a ray's tail) I thought the beach was a perfect size.

The food was fantastic, everywhere that we dined. Some nights I could see that the staff were a little overwhelmed, being a brand new resort.

The resort is definitely secluded. If you are the type of traveler who likes to just stay put on the resort, you will not be disappointed. If you like to go off resort for other adventures, it is a few hours away to do zip line or rainforest tours. There is a small town not too far away where there may be some shops. We drove through but did not stop. For us, I am glad that we were able to plan our vacation in Costa Rica so that we just stayed completely at the resort for our time we had booked there, and travelled to other areas and stayed in different hotels. We had no problem driving on their roads. We flew into San Jose and worked our way up the Pacific Coast, doing different things. We basically did a big circle trip.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family
20  Thank Lori D

Reviewed January 7, 2015

This resort was a adventure from the time we were greeted at the airport to the time air canada vacations dropped us back off for our return flight. My wife and I traveled along with another couple to this resort to join in a 25th wedding anniversary for our friends. I can only share our experience as the other couple traveled with another carrier, so here it goes. We have never stayed at a dreams resort, so this was going to be a treat for us, plus we have never traveled to Costa Rica so first timers at this resort, and country. Arrival was great, Air Canada met us at the airport in Liberia and off we went to El Jobo, very quick to our rooms, and check in was no problem. The travel to the resort was no problem(75 min), it was what we expected from reading other reviews prior to our arrival. Beautiful rooms, very clean, very new, and well stocked for an all inclusive(A call to room service and you had bar refilled within 20 min). Upon arrival, we made our rounds trying to acquaint ourselves with location of restaurants, shops, bars, beach and pools. Be prepared to walk, as with resorts we have frequented in the past, the difference with Dreams Las Mareas is the billy goat hills to and from the beach. Staff were very friendly, and always willing to assist when they could understand us (language is a barrier). Dinner was a problem at the time of our travel(limited availability of restaurants), but we made the best with what was open. Breakfast buffet, nothing to write home about, standard omelet station, and small variety of other menu items(room service breakfast was excellent). No shortage of booze, as all bartenders were prepared to assist with adding generous amounts of booze into your system. The pool side restaurants and bar were excellent, and probably the best meals of the day. Excursions were done through a company called Alex on the beach``. We used them as they were local costa ricans and willing to negotiate on pricing. You can find them on the beach. We did the white water rafting and evening snorkeling cruise with some bonus fishing thrown in. Our white water rafting was great, highly recommended couldn't believe the level 3 and 4 rapids awesome rush. After rafting our guide took us to the waterfall you will see on post cards, and took us to the town of Liberia center square(some shopping). Great day, very long though but that was our choice. The other excursion was the evening cruise. They pulled up to the shore and allowed us to get off boat and walk the shore to get pics of the monkeys. Great time plus captain was fishing for his dinner so that was a bonus.`Good Job Eddy`!!!! We really have no complaints, as we had no expectations to measure from. Our family has traveled to DR and Nassau, but you cant compare because its a different country. The time of our travel was December 6, to 12th 2014. Resort is beautiful. Very windy, very hot, and jelly fish in ocean, my wife got stung twice, mind u tiny stings but noticeable. Wake up calls every morning around 7:30am phone lines crossed up. All and all a great adventure Checked off bucket list, Thank you Dreams. Pura Vida !!!

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Robert H

Reviewed January 6, 2015

I think I'm just going to be another review that repeats a lot of things others have said but I believe it important to say.

Dreams Las Mareas is a beautiful resort, no doubt about it, but it has a lot of bugs to work out. I would recommend waiting some time to come to the resort. As many have noted, it is clear that the resort is new. In some time, the kinks will be worked out I hope and then the service can match up to the locale.

Location: The beach is beautiful and the resort is impeccably landscaped. Yes, it is kind of hilly but I think it's good because otherwise... you might not get any exercise because you'll be lounging on the beach and at the pool all day. It is pretty windy though.

Rooms: Beautiful and chic. The curtain thing is kind of odd but it does make the already large room seem larger. The rooms were well stocked with towels and cleaned regularly and well and our minibar was kept stocked basically the entire time, unlike other reviews have indicated.

Food: The food was good. Order the filet at Portofino! It was perfectly medium rare and flavorful! Portofino was our favorite restaurant for food and service. We did not get to try El Patio because it was "reserved".

Wifi: to those complaining about the wifi, I would beg to differ. I had pretty consistent decent wifi in my room most of the trip. But honestly, I feel this type of resort should forgo wifi in room anyway to help guests decompress and deconnect.

So if you read the other reviews you know the gripes about reservations. Again, I agree with reviewers who say the hotel just needs to choose a policy and stick with it. If they want to create a reservation system, they should invest in one of those table management systems that helps manage these type things instead of relying on little slips of paper. It is quite frustrating to be turned away from an empty restaurant. In addition to this type of system, more staff and training would be helpful. At Oceana, the host kept having to leave the host stand to bus tables and fill guests water glasses which is noble but left a crowd of annoyed guests waiting to get a table.

Another review also mentioned the terrible behavior of other guests. This was my first time staying at an all inclusive resort. My next closest experience prior was ocean and river cruises. The clientele attracted to Dreams Las Mareas seemed more entitled and griped louder than others. Particularly ones from certain geographic areas. I understand that it is an expensive resort and you pay to have the privilege to a certain level of service but that is no excuse to treat the staff poorly or other guests poorly.

Anyway, all in all, I think this resort has a lot of potential but I would wait a while to visit and let them work some of the kinks.

Room Tip: Preferred room 8201 has a beautiful view. The top preferred building was near a hill being landscaped so landscapers were often walking in front of the room balconies. It felt a little creepy.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
13  Thank Wesley W
calidad_drelm, Quality Manager at Dreams Las Mareas Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2015

Dear Guest,
Thank you for visiting and for your review about your recent experience in Dreams Las Mareas.
We are now taking care of those specific areas in order to offer a better service and pleasant service to all our guests.
We would like to have another opportunity to welcome you and deliver the experience that expected.
We apologize for this incidents and hope to welcome you soon.

Regards,

Reviewed January 6, 2015

Our family of 5 (which included 3 adult children, ages 22, 24, 26) stayed at Dreams Las Mareas for 5 nights after Christmas.
Distance from airport:
The resort is a couple of hours from Liberia, an interesting ride to see the scenic countryside. The last 30 minutes to the resort is on gravel road, an inconvenience but not difficult or uncomfortable.
Check-in:
Staff at Check-in are friendly, but the process could be improved, with little information shared by staff about the layout of the resort, restaurants, entertainment, Wi-fi, or the beach area etc...We requested a map to better acquaint ourselves with the location of our room and the area. Unfortunately, time share individuals immediately attempted to snare us and other customers after check in, offering resort coupons to start off their sales talk. We politely informed them that we were not interested!
Rooms:
Our 2 junior suite rooms were "jungle view" and located on an upper floor in Building 5-one of the main buildings, facing the rear of the resort, and furthest away from the beach. Our travel agent had encouraged us to book this type of room with the hopes of hearing and seeing monkeys and wildlife, but instead the view from our balcony was of the health club building and some distant trees. Little wildlife was present (we viewed parrots and other birds from a distance but later saw a few monkeys on the outskirts of the resort while on a walk). On a positive note, the rooms were located in a fairly quiet section and conveniently close to restaurants, lounge area, entertainment, the Spa and the upper pool. The rooms are attractive and spacious and the beds are quite comfortable. The frosted glass doors for the toilet and shower negatively mentioned by some reviewers, along with the semi-sheer hanging curtain that divided the bathroom from the beds, provided enough privacy for us and wasn't a problem but may be for friends staying together or those with various ages wanting more separation. The downside of these "junior suites" are that families and travel agents believe the room will have a pull-out couch for lounging and extra bedding, like the jr. suites they may have had at other resorts, Unfortunately, each room at Dreams has either 2 double beds or 1 king bed and no couch. Upon request, a folding, child size cot (not a rollaway) can be added, if available. One of our adult kids had to sleep on one of these small, uncomfortable camp-like cots. Staff brought us extra padding which was helpful. The jungle-view room balconies have a small table and two chairs and a tub (which seems impractical, since that space could be better used for seating). We noticed that the tropical-view rooms and/or "preferred club" rooms had nicer balcony amenities, but we spent little time in our rooms, preferring to relax at the beach or pool, so were ok with our moderate set-up. All the rooms seem to have a safe, which fit a laptop and/or I-pad, cameras, wallets and passports. Wifi was poor in our rooms but worked well in the main area (near the bar, open sitting lounge and coffee shop).
Housekeeping:
A housekeeper seems to come early in the day to restock the refrigerator and then a maid comes later in the day to clean the room. This made giving a tip difficult, with the bar stocker benefiting from the few dollars and note of appreciation that we left out each day. LOL We were able to see the maid on one of the days and thanked her with a tip. We traveled with $100 in one dollar bills to use for tips at the resort, for airport transportation and on excursions. All of the staff appeared hard-working and appreciative of positive comments and compensation. Daily housekeeping can be turned away by pushing the button (to red) near your door and the resort promotes water conservation, encouraging guests to request new towels and sheets only as needed.
Beach:
The beach and semi-enclosed bay is very pretty and we spent most of our time there- relaxing on lounge chairs, exploring around the tide pools, walking or jogging (our son ran on the beach each day, estimating the distance from one end to the other to be approximately .4/mile). One afternoon we kayaked, impressed by the helpful resort beach staff. Several excursion-vendor groups seemed to always be present at the beach, in particular guys working for "Alex on the Beach", which we did not use but several reviewers reported satisfaction with their trips. We treated ourselves to a fantastic massage on the beach, at a significantly lower price then the resort spa. The sea water was refreshing and wonderfully clean (one lady reported being stung by jellyfish but we did not see any). Snorkelers reportedly saw various fish, though not the vast varieties and colors one might see in the Caribbean. Unfortunately, we did not get to see the turtles laying eggs at night. The access to the beach area could use improvement, with a poorly designed (and sometimes slippery) walkway route to reach the beach (which could be difficult for those visually or physically challenged).
Pools:
The resort has several attractive pools and we swam in the upper pool each morning, estimating the distance across at 25 meters. There is a water slide and an area of one pool for playing water basketball. A kids club is close by. Other water activities, such as aerobics and games were held. We spent one of our days at the pool, but had a terrible time finding available lounge chairs. And this was at 7 am! Though the resort has a policy that prohibits saving chairs, it is not upheld and guests drape towels over them either the night before or very early each morning. Frustrated by it, we headed to the beach and were fortunate to find lounge chairs before they were taken. The resort provides nice, large orange towels without having to show a room key (and not having to wear wrist bands was wonderful!).
Restaurants:
We ate at the main buffet for breakfast and lunch then attempted to eat at several specialty restaurants at night. With effort (including several visits with concierge to reserve a spot and waiting in long lines...) we ate at the Sea Side Grill (not so good), the Asian and Italian places (both good). Service at the restaurants was slow and inefficient but overall the food was good. We particularly enjoyed the fish.
Resort activities (away from the pool and beach):
I went on an organized but informal jungle hike one of the mornings which was enjoyable. It consisted of a walk (in a group with two resort staff) outside of the resort grounds to an isolated beach with views of the distant Nicaragua coastline. It was stunning! I really enjoyed talking with Gilbert, one of the staff in charge of the walk. Unfortunately the jungle walk wasn't held every day during our stay at the resort (apparently due to safety issues that came up with another group, when reportedly a guest that stayed behind at the remote, off resort beach was robbed). At night the resort held various entertainment venues- such as Karaoke and shows, along with craft vendors selling attractive items. One day the resort showed several of the NFL games in their conference center, much to our boys delight. We spent all the evenings in the main building outside lounge or bar area, playing cards and enjoying wine and beer. A small, delightful coffee shop is in the same area. The view of the resort from this upper main building area is very nice, especially at sunset.
Excursions:
After reading mixed reviews about setting up trips with Swiss Travel which has a desk at the resort, we chose to do private tours with an outside group, Guanacaste Viajes & Tours. We enjoyed a day trip to Rincon de la Vieja to hike and zip line and the Palo Verde wildlife boat tour. Each tour required a minimum of 1.5 to 2.5 hour drive each way. We would have liked to do a tour to Nicaragua, since the border is reportedly only 40+ minutes from the resort by car, but were informed that poor governmental relations between the two countries has caused significant delays at the border, making this trip quite long.
Summary:
Dreams Las Mareas is for couples and families that are interested in pure relaxation in the sun at the pool or lovely beach. The staff is friendly and the resort is attractive and nicely maintained. Present inconveniences, such as the gravel road up to the resort and somewhat inefficient food service will most likely improve in time. Neither adversely affected our stay. But, due to the isolated location of the resort, most excursions take longer than if staying at a resort further south in the Guanacaste area. On our excursions we filled the travel hours by looking out at the Costa Rican countryside and talking with our guide about the country, though the extra hours it took from Dreams to most sights made us choose destinations that were only a couple of hours away, ultimately deciding not to do the extremely long day trips to the Arenal Volcano or Monteverde Cloud Forest. To be saved for a future trip!
Overall, Dreams Las Mareas is a beautiful resort and we had a very enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Jungle-view rooms aren't actually a view of a jungle, mostly of trees in the distance. But the jungle-view rooms are attractive, have comfortable beds and are spacious. Ask for one that is in a quiet location and on an upper floor. Preferred and tropical-view rooms appear to have better views and balconies, but if you spend little time in your rooms it may not be worth the extra cost. Rooms in the main buildings up on the hill (such as Building 5) are furthest from the beach but closest to most restaurants, the buffet, the open sitting lounge, the bar, the Spa, the health club, the coffee shop, Wifi, etc...Junior-suites have 1 king or 2 double beds and there is not a pull-out couch for extra bedding. A folding cot can be requested but they are small and best for children.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank chicagoannie1
Drelm E, E-Concierge at Dreams Las Mareas Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2016

Dear valued guest,