“Excellent Sunday lunch”

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Nawton
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We had a fantastic meal, beautifully cooked and extremely generous portions. The wine, which is very reasonably priced, was also excellent. Great atmosphere, being in a tipee with lots of twinkling lights. Our waitress Libby was a star. Would highly recommend and we will definitely be back.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed November 4, 2018 via mobile

The food was incredible, and the portions massive! You definitely get your money's worth. Service was excellent, especially our very friendly waitress Gemma.

I really liked the decoration in the teepee, and was surprised by how warm it was! Felt very comfortable.

Would definitely visit again.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed October 31, 2018 via mobile

We intended on dining here as a party of 8 adults and two babies. There was a mix up on the phone meaning we arrived 30 minutes early, before they officially opened. I fully appreciate that that is inconvenient for them but as a restaurant manager myself know that this is not the end of the world, especially on a rainy Tuesday night in October. We should have been shown to our table and served once they officially opened.

Instead Jenny made us all feel so unwelcome and uncomfortable and seemed to want to punish us for being early. My mum approached the bar to speak to her to just clarify the situation and find out where the misunderstanding had come from. Jenny then blew up and started raising her voice in front of two babies. I then asked why she was being so rude and she continued to shout at us. We left and she shouted ‘Bye!!!’ sarcastically to us as we walked to our cars.

I emailed the restaurant to complain and honestly, I wanted some kind of explanation as she was so aggressive and hostile. Jenny herself replied to my email being sarcastic and blaming my mum. I then called the restaurant in the morning and Jenny answered the phone. She was immediately aggressive and refused to even acknowledge an incident had taken place. I hate confrontation and hung up as I was about to start crying. I have never been spoken to in such a way in my life, especially as we were just a family wanting to go out for a meal.

I’m sure she will reply to this review in an aggressive or sarcastic tone blaming us or attempting to make me look like a liar but if this review prevents another family from the same treatment we received then I’m happy. I have this restaurant two chances to apologise before writing this and was subjected to further aggression.

Please do not eat here, especially if you have children, there are so many other places in the area where you will receive good service. It’s not worth the risk.

1  Thank Connector57685080082
186346Jaybee, Owner at Canadian Fields, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2018

Good afternoon, I am sorry to see such a negative review and as in any situation there are two sides to every story.

My restaurant has always opened at 5.30, my kitchen and front of house staff start their shifts for a set opening time.
My team member unlocked the door as a gesture of good will but like in all forms of business opening hours are there for a reason so as a team we are ready to offer our customers the best experience possible.

If we seemed to be rushing around it was because we were, guests arriving 30 minutes prior to opening puts the whole service on the back foot but we were trying our best while also dealing with glamping customers, part of the role outside of restaurant opening hours.

On making the telephone booking when you asked for a 5pm slot it was explained twice we don’t open until 5.30, I get the impression you felt just turning up would change the rules for you. This surprises me as you say you work in the catering industry yourself and therefore must be aware of all the work involved before the doors are open.
If my tone as you walked out without a word when we were doing all we could to set up at speed was as you say sarcastic I would disagree that it was a tone of shock that people would be so rude when we were doing all we could to help.

The email and phone call that followed were both threatening and aggressive, refusing to say who was on the phone, accusing me of not been the business owner and that you would look me up on companies house. All very odd and funnily enough not mentioned in your review.

Reviewed October 28, 2018

Excellent Sunday lunch with all elements cooked extremely well. Perfect friendly service. Had two little ones with us and they were really well catered for and looked after.

Reviewed October 17, 2018

We've been here many time now and never been disappointed! Either as a couple or a big party, we always get great service and great food - what more can I say?