“Cracking meals @the Crown”

Restaurant at The Westleton Crown
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Westleton
Price range: US$0 - US$74
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 24, 2018 via mobile

The food aromas were strong on approach to the crown as on this occasion there were special outside catering kitchens ( inner kitchen floor being refurbished ) .I made a point of saying hi to the chefs who were pleasant & enjoying their work . Met with smiles by friendly waitresses. Quite busy for a Monday eve but ample tables with good service. Wife had sea bass -nicely cooked with crushed potatoes. Gorgeous fresh beer battered fish & hand cooked chips with home made tartare sauce & mushy peas .Aspall cider . Adnams Black shore stout on draught - bliss . Total approx £40. Quite warm for 1840 in the main restaurant-possible ceiling fan warranted. Will return as good varied choice to menu.

Reviewed April 15, 2018 via mobile

I don’t often leave reviews, in fact this is my first trip advisor. But I felt I needed to do this as I was really quite disappointed by my most recent experience in a place I’ve historically enjoyed visiting.

I’ve been a regular for a while, and have always enjoyed the ambience and food/drink. This time though the service was beyond comprehension, no thanks to the abrupt and rude new waiter: stocky, not very tall, and strong foreign accent.

With my friend, we said hello to raise our presence and we were completely ignored, no greeting, no smile or a simple ‘I’ll be with you in a minute’. We stood there a few minutes whilst he continued doing things, with no acknowledgement. When he did finally address us, it was with a very sharp ‘what do you need?’, leaving us feeling quite intimidated and as though we shouldn’t have been there at all.

I’m not sure what characteristics you consider when recruiting, as in the past you had a staff that were very nice, greeted us with a welcoming smile and made us feel like valued customers. This man didn’t seem to fit the usual service I’ve received in the past, and after that experience, I’ll be looking in to see if he is there, and if so, I won't be coming in.

1  Thank Missysclarke
Reviewed April 14, 2018

My wife and I both had lunch here. Food was excellent and, unlike a good many pubs, there were not overly enthusiastic about minimum portion size. So portions were good and the quality was good too. I had fish and chips (great) and my wife had a prawn sandwich (also great and too much for her to eat so we took some of it away with us). Unusually, they also served us bread and butter before our lunch, although we had not asked for this. A nice extra touch. I would recommend this pub. It is also very dog friendly.

Reviewed April 9, 2018

Visited Saturday night whilst staying nearby and we were not disappointed at all. The food was delicious and arrived in a timely manner. The ambience of the restaurant was just right - not too noisy, not too quiet! The staff were friendly and attentive and we had 3-courses which were all to our liking. Overall, a very enjoyable evening. Thank you.

Reviewed March 12, 2018

Great food - lovely restaurant. Had a great evening here and we both fully enjoyed our starters and mains, wine list also excellent. We will be back!

Date of visit: March 2018