“Amazing In Hove”
Review of etch.

etch.
Ranked #3 of 337 Restaurants in Hove
Price range: US$63 - US$189
Description: Restaurant by Masterchef winner Steven Edwards Menus focus on using fresh produce from in and around the surrounding Sussex countryside.
Reviewed October 13, 2018 via mobile

We loved our first visit to Etch and everything about it was superb. Had the 9 course tasting menu with wine pairing and every mouthful was a delight. The staff were professional and friendly and all very knowledgeable, especially the sommelier. The decor was lovely and I enjoyed the music, the highlight was the Japanese toilet! Definitely among my top choices for Brighton & Hove. Well done Steven Edwards!

Reviewed October 12, 2018

WE loved Etch the first time and the second was at the same high level. Excellent ambiance, top creative delicious menu and a wonderful wine pairing. The welcoming staff were wonderful, Chef Andrew was not in though which is noticeable in the energy and the welcome. The sommelier was not very nice, short if any explanations on the wine and a somewhat crummy attitude that clashes with Etch which we found surprising and disappointing. Anyway, we hope to give five stars not four as the first time the next time we go as one of us live close by. Hope that Andrew can work on smiles must do better than this and effectiveness on the sommelier , hjs talent and efforts

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed October 12, 2018

It might just be me or is this The Emperor's New Clothes? Don't get me wrong, its good, there is lots to like but I don't love it. The venue is fabulous, and the developing collection of art is a treat. The staff are well dressed, noticeably so - they generally are engaging, passionate and know of what they speak. Pricing is fair and reasonable for what goes into the feast of food. The wine list is unusually brief but that points you down the road of the wine flight which is well considered albeit it doesn't take the food or the drink to a new level - the are a good compliments to the dish. The food is good, very good, and in parts, excellent. I'd be cautious about going for the full 9 courses - my party all found this to be too much on our recent visit - that's not a criticism, how could it be, but its sage advice. With the wine pairing be cautious about pre-prandial drinking - there is a lot of wine to consume. In summary, this is a great place and will continue to do well, Steven and team deserve their plaudits and diners, both local and from afar, deserve to have this type of place to chose from - but it's not for me.

Reviewed October 6, 2018 via mobile

Steven Edwards is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.! Out of all the restaurants I’ve experienced in the last 24 months and many of the Michelin stared, Etch is right up there or better. My business colleagues, friends and I sat at a booth which had full view of the kitchen... in my opinion the best table in the house. The sommelier was knowledgeable and entertaining, the front of house (extremely good looking) the waitress excellent and personable! But the food so delicious and beautiful to consume in every way. Taste, smell, texture, visually!
Steven is not of the same vintage as Gordon Ramsay where being aggressive and disagreeable is part of the ‘game’, but is a chef of today. Steven seems to care not only about his food and his customers but also his team. Excellence in every way!
Where is Steven’s book? I’m a publisher (education) and I’d buy it!

Reviewed October 4, 2018

We recently spent our anniversary here and all I can say is that it was nothing short of exceptional!
The staff were amazing and attentive from the moment we walked through the door and even the head chef came over to introduce himself.
We had the 7 course meal and it was divine, We loved every bit of it.

This is an amazing place and would recommend this to anyone who is looking for fine dining.