“Delightful Tour and Educational Experience”

Musee des Acadiens des Pubnicos
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Pubnico
Reviewed 17 July 2016

The museum/research centre is beside the Red Cap motel we stayed at. It was raining so we decided not to visit Le Village Historique Acadien. However, the tiny museum proved to be a very educational experience. It's packed with artifacts but displayed professionally. For those interested in reading up on Acadian history (as I am) the gift shop has numerous books.

I lucked out and spoke to an older gentleman from Massachusetts who spends summers doing research at the centre. His parents were Acadians who were born here. It was fascinating to have him and the young fellow who works at the centre talk about Le Grand Derangement (The Big Upset) when the British deported thousands of Acadians in the late 1700s.

This a a very worthwhile visit.

Bernice M, Manager at Musee des Acadiens des Pubnicos, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2016

Thank you for your visit. We are a small museum but hope to display the Acadian history of the area. Our research centre has many books and information on Acadian History and genealogy. Hope to see you in the future

Reviewed 23 June 2016

I came from Colorado to research my Pothier ancestors from Wedgeport. I was told that this museum was an good source of information. I was not disappointed. With the excellent help of the museum staff, I discovered many exciting details about my family. I learned that I was related to the d'Entremonts who are featured in Le Village historique acadien de la Nouvelle-Ecosse, just down the road. This museum has a wealth of detail about the history of the Acadiens during their deportation and their remarkable return to Pubnico. The staff are very knowledgeable and eager to share their history. There are many good books available for purchase, and for the serious genealogist, there are two excellent books worth purchasing if you are doing research for this area. One is "Genealogy, Saint Michael's Parish, 1767-1925, (Wedgeport)," and if you are a descendent of Acadiens, especially the d'Entremonts: "Jacques II Mius-d'Entremont (c. 1679-1759) and Marguerite Amirault (1704-1796), Five generations of descendants." Each cost about $43. I purchased the Saint Michael's Parish book at the Tuna Museum in Wedgeport. This small but interesting museum is well worth a visit.

Bernice M, Manager at Musee des Acadiens des Pubnicos, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2016

It was very nice to see the links we can do in Acadian Genealogy. Glad we could help. See you in the futur

Reviewed 7 October 2015

The museum had a few things that were interesting including a printing press in the basement. It seemed to lack something because there was hardly any people contact. Be sure to pay the fee for both the museum and the village which is a short distance down the road. The Village is more interesting because you talk to a lot of people

Reviewed 25 September 2015

This museum offered both interesting things to view but geneology as well. I was most impressed with the display of the device placed inside the dykes to separate salt and fresh water to be able to utilize more land for farming. There were ladies quilting while we were there to provide a look back.

Reviewed 9 September 2015

This charming museum contains numerous buildings celebrating the region's Acadian heritage and is peopled by local Acadians eager to share that heritage with the visitors. For me a highlight was a conversation in Acadian French, discussing some differences in grammar and vocabulary from international and Quebec French.