“Very interesting museum, great guide”

Musee des Acadiens des Pubnicos
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Pubnico
Reviewed 16 August 2016

We visited this small museum on the way to the nearby Arcadian historic village. It is packed full of interesting exhibits and the young man who took us round provided excellent explanations and commentary, linking the past with the present. Local ladies were also demonstrating the art of quilt-making - beautiful work.

Bernice M, Manager at Musee des Acadiens des Pubnicos, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2016

Thank you for visiting the Musée des Acadiens des Pubnicos. the ladies take pride in the hand quilting and their beautiful work. It is our pleasure to link Acadian history of the past to the present , as well as our family name : d'Entremont

Reviewed 2 August 2016

Staff were very knowledgeable, and the displays of artifacts were varied and well-laid out with clear bilingual labels. Even though my husband grew up in the village, we both learned some facts that we didn't know about the expulsion of his particular Acadian family. Museum shop had a good assortment of books and other souvenirs.

Bernice M, Manager at Musee des Acadiens des Pubnicos, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2016

Thank you for visiting the Musée des Acadiens des Pubnicos. It is a pleasure to see locals return to the museum to learn about their history. Acadian history and genealogy is wonderful. Hope to see you again at the museum

Reviewed 28 July 2016

Very interesting. The young man that took us on the tour was very friendly and knowledgeable. Loved the items in the gift shop as we were looking for things for school.

Thanks for visiting the Musée des Acadiens des Pubnicos. I am very glad you had a good tour of the museum. The gift shop has wonderful Acadian books and crafts made locally. Come and visit us again.

Reviewed 17 July 2016

The museum/research centre is beside the Red Cap motel we stayed at. It was raining so we decided not to visit Le Village Historique Acadien. However, the tiny museum proved to be a very educational experience. It's packed with artifacts but displayed professionally. For those interested in reading up on Acadian history (as I am) the gift shop has numerous books.

I lucked out and spoke to an older gentleman from Massachusetts who spends summers doing research at the centre. His parents were Acadians who were born here. It was fascinating to have him and the young fellow who works at the centre talk about Le Grand Derangement (The Big Upset) when the British deported thousands of Acadians in the late 1700s.

This a a very worthwhile visit.

Thank you for your visit. We are a small museum but hope to display the Acadian history of the area. Our research centre has many books and information on Acadian History and genealogy. Hope to see you in the future

Reviewed 23 June 2016

I came from Colorado to research my Pothier ancestors from Wedgeport. I was told that this museum was an good source of information. I was not disappointed. With the excellent help of the museum staff, I discovered many exciting details about my family. I learned that I was related to the d'Entremonts who are featured in Le Village historique acadien de la Nouvelle-Ecosse, just down the road. This museum has a wealth of detail about the history of the Acadiens during their deportation and their remarkable return to Pubnico. The staff are very knowledgeable and eager to share their history. There are many good books available for purchase, and for the serious genealogist, there are two excellent books worth purchasing if you are doing research for this area. One is "Genealogy, Saint Michael's Parish, 1767-1925, (Wedgeport)," and if you are a descendent of Acadiens, especially the d'Entremonts: "Jacques II Mius-d'Entremont (c. 1679-1759) and Marguerite Amirault (1704-1796), Five generations of descendants." Each cost about $43. I purchased the Saint Michael's Parish book at the Tuna Museum in Wedgeport. This small but interesting museum is well worth a visit.

Bernice M, Manager at Musee des Acadiens des Pubnicos, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2016

It was very nice to see the links we can do in Acadian Genealogy. Glad we could help. See you in the futur