“Wonderful experience”
Review of White Island Tours

White Island Tours
Ranked #1 of 13 Tours in Whakatane
More attraction details
Owner description: Join the White Island Tours crew aboard the luxury cruiser 'PeeJay' for a 6 hour adventure to explore New Zealand's only active marine volcano - White Island. Sitting 49km off the coast of New Zealand's North Island, this is one of the world's most accessible live volcanos. With the majority of the volcano sitting beneath the sea it means we are able to disembark directly into the crater complex - no mountain climbing required. Being a live volcano there is little doubt that White Island is home to New Zealand's most impressive geothermal activity. Visitors are able to get up close to roaring steam vents, bubbling pits of mud, hot volcanic streams and the amazing lake of steaming acid. The vivid hues of yellow and orange resulting from the abundant sulphur on the island make it a photographer's dream. Experienced guides will lead visitors on a two hour exploration of the inner crater, providing a fascinating commentary on the geology of the island as well as stories of attempts to mine sulphur. Along with volcanic and geothermal features, you will see the remains of the sulphur factory which have survived multiple eruptions since being abandoned in the 1930s. Once back aboard PeeJay there may be time for a swim from the boat before being served a light packed lunch which can be enjoyed while viewing the outer walls of the island where Pohutukawa forests grow and large Australasian Gannet colonies exist. Our journey home often provides the opportunity to spend time viewing dolphins, whales and other marine life. We hold the necessary government permits to interact with these animals and it's a great way to end an already amazing day. Tours depart daily (weather permitting) from Whakatane.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 19 April 2012 via mobile

A wonderful educational day. We were very fortunate to have beautiful weather and calm seas. The tour guides are very well informed and safety concious. It was a wonderful experience to walk on an active volcano and something I will never forget. It was the third time I had tried to do the trip with the other two times canceled due to bad weather. I am so glad I persevered. It was well worth it.

New Zealand
170 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“A truly Volcanic Day.”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Went out with Peejays Tour Operators from Whakatane to day to visit White Island. It is New Zealand's only active marine volcano. The boat was really comfortable and the people from Peejays are totally helpful and friendly. You could not have asked for better hosts.
On arriving at the Island we had to board an inflatable to get to shore and then in groups we headed off on our tour. This place is stunning. Steamy fumaroles, the smell of sulphur, steaming hillsides and a wonderful big crater that you can get really close to. The guide gave us all the history of the sulphur mining that had been carried out and some sad stories of loss of life due to eruptions and accidents. The island is now a privately owned trust that allows visitors to come ashore and view nature at it best and close up- real close up. Another wonderful experience in NZ. I love my country!

Visited April 2012
1 Thank JDNZ
Neston, United Kingdom
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Exciting and worthwhile”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I was a bit worried about doing this trip as I am a good walker but need good surfaces and I was also not sure about getting from boat to pier on the island. I cannot speak too highly of the staff on the boat when they realised this and they looked after me really well. I am so glad I did the trip as it was just amazing to walk among all the steam and fumes and weird scenery. Also we had great sightings of dolphins on the way. Thank you to all the staff

Visited March 2012
Kenora, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Adventure!”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Great ship, fun crossing. Tour guide was extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

Visited February 2012
ontario canada
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“If you can only go one place in your lifetime, make it this”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Totally unique. Something you will not experience anywhere else. Like a different planet. See steam coming from rock, water exploding out of the ground, bubbling mud and a landscape like the moon. We even were up close and personal with dolphins and whale on the return trip. Truly worth the trip off the beaten path

Visited November 2011