2,295 results
All reviews forest hills garden restaurant leisure facilities rafters bar steam room beautiful location afternoon tea main restaurant evening meal executive room self catering both nights waiting staff bottle of wine short break relaxing stay leisure club
Reviewed October 19, 2018 via mobile

Overall a nice few days. Good quality lodge and clean bedding/towels with stunning views and grounds.

My booking seemed not to have generated the usual email to print for the check in times and other useful info so a wee call before I left to a very helpful Catherine in central reservations resolved this. On arrival, a very polite young man Ryan checked me in - very polite but also very “dry” and verging on rude for a front of house employee.

Pool was very cold but sauna and jacuzzi lovely. Unusual smell spoiled the steam room experience and in the surrounding pool area too. The schedule for having inflatables or floaties in the pool for the kids was incorrect as didn’t once see anything other than people in the pool.

Didn’t eat in either restaurant partly based on reviews on here and my overall weekly budget.

It was a shame that Rafters wasn’t open during the day as a hang out for the teenagers to play pool or for adults to have a casual coffee after a walk particularly as was mid term. Would have been a useful alternative on the day we checked out when the swimming pool was unexpectedly closed for maintenance. Also cancelled facial booking due to the lack of things to do for kids while we waited around in the rain.

Enjoyed watching a wedding celebration from afar and the fireworks were an unexpected extra too.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Andrew D, General Manager at Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2018

Thanks for the review. I appreciate the criticism and feedback although I am pleased that there were positives to your stay, I do hope that we will see you again.

Reviewed October 13, 2018 via mobile

What a fantastic hotel, brilliant location, beautiful surroundings. Shame about the food which was dire. The evening meal in the Garden Restaurant in the evening:- well it was not good but at least edible. A limited menu i had the salmon which was in batter with wedges & peas the salmon was ok under the batter but the wedges not great. My adult son had a burger again ok but the fries were like match sticks. My grandson was the worse affected with a tiny bit of fish & some match sticks i complained to the waitress but she spoke little english. I then complained to a waiter, who to be fair, brought out more matchstick chips. I thought it would improve at breakfast but i was so wrong it was horrible. Portion sizes on evening & breakfast were extremly small. Plus at breakfast it was not a buffet only the cereal & fruit were. The bacon, tiny sausage,potato scone & tomato were undercooked the beans had also bean watered down. The scrambled egg was waterlogged it was disgusting. It’s such a shame because apart from that it’s a lovely place. I did complain to the manager before we left stating the positives & negatives of the stay & she refunded the breakfast money. I do think though they have known about this problem for a while reading the reviews but nothing is done to fix it. They must lose a lot of business.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Thanks for the review. Its great to see that you enjoyed so much of your stay although I am sorry that you did not find the food to your liking. All of the feedback we receive is taken seriously and I therefore thank you for your comments. I do hope that we will see you back again soon.

Reviewed October 12, 2018 via mobile

We visited this hotel during a roundtrip through Scotland. The hotel is located next to Loch Ard, a beautiful location for a romantic getaway. Within the premises is also a Spa, where you can book various treatments to make the stay over even more relaxed. The surroundings are also very suitable to do some hiking and enjoy some magnificent views. The staff is furthermore very friendly and accommodating.
The inside of the hotel is a little outdated and the bathroom needed some repairs, but that is if you want to go looking for elements to comment on, that will soon be forgotten by stepping outside.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank 186jasperv

Thanks for the review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and I do hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed October 11, 2018 via mobile

I came to Macdonald Forest Hill as part of a training course a few weeks ago. The location and the views were amazing, definitely a spot for a quiet relaxing weekend. Hard to get to if you haven't got a car though.

Breakfast buffet was a feast, continental was self service and hot food for ordered. The continental selection could have been larger, sometimes only one option of each thing. We also had a set meal and also a lunch buffet and both visits were pretty good.

Sadly didn't get a chance to enjoy much of the facilities so would love to come back again as they have a large spa and swimming pool. The best place to lounge around in the evening is definitely next to the fire in the bar area, they put the fire on when we were there and it was the most chilled feeling ever. Could sit there all day.

The bedroom is spacious, some furnishings needs updating but had everything that it needed. The s and floors are quite thin so could hear almost everything.The bed is a little bit too soft and uncomfortable as I do prefer firmer beds.

Thanks to the staff for a great couple of days!

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business

Thanks very much for the review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to look after you again the in the near future.

Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here in June for 6 nights. We have stayed in many Macdonalds hotels and have always been impressed by the excellent service of the staff at these hotels.
While the location here is second to none the staff here are not at all what you would expect from a Macdonalds hotel.
We paid for dinner bed and breakfast, not cheap for the 6 nights we stayed.
The positives were great location and grounds, lovely big room and it was very clean.
Down sides, they didn't change the menu once in our 6 nights, we had to ask for tissues in our room when the box was clearly empty and wasn't re filled. I had to ask for Earl Grey teabags to be refilled in our room. Breakfast was a comedy of errors, no end of guest were complaining at the slow service, wrong orders and cold food. The service was very slow at dinner too again many complaints were heard all around the dinning room.
There were clearly not enough staff. One of the waitresses looked a mess wearing a dirty uniforms and a shirt that clearly hadn't seen an iron. The lady on the table next to us actually addressed the waitress telling her but she just laughed. All you could here at breakfast and dinner were heavy sighs and complaints. Not what you expect of a Macdonalds hotel. This one clearly had major issues with staff.
I must say having said that the con siege was most helpful and informative
The gin event they put on was also very good. They are obviously trying but it did make us question if we would stay with this chain again when there are cheaper options offering a better service. Let's hope they get their act together and it was just a blip when we stayed.
To top it off they got our bill wrong at the end of our stay charging us twice for several of our meals. This was sorted once we were home.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thanks for the review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed so much of your stay but am disappointed that we fell short of our usual standard in other areas. Thanks for taking the time to pass on your comments and feedback however and I hope that its not too long until we see you again.