All reviews every other day great holiday booked our holiday white wine an ice cream end of the season bad reviews plenty of sunbeds lovely beach clean towels sea front overlooking the sea superior room pizza cats
Reviewed September 10, 2017 via mobile

We booked our holiday through teletext holidays, flew with Thomas Cook and had our transfers organised by them.

We arrived late, but reception staff very welcoming. Our room was lovely and clean and plenty of space for the 3 of us. We loved the pool area (although the decking could do with some repairs). The bar staff were friendly and soon learnt our preferred order. The food wasn't amazing but there was always something that we liked the look of... As we say "you can't expect gordon ramsay food at weatherspoons prices!". There was fresh salad and fruit with every meal, and a variety of mains. I'm not a fan of fry ups for breakfast but there was toast, fruit, cereal and yoghurt available. My five yr old always found something she liked. Ice creams are available from 2pm-6pm, which was plenty as we always managed to eat 2 or 3 in that time. We were quite happy with the all inclusive drinks, but we like ouzo. The beer was perfectly acceptable as was the wine. A variety of soft drinks were available but fruit juice would cost extra. The beaches near by were clean and you have the option to rent sunbeds. The main street has a lot of souvenirs and jewellery and car/quad rental. Boat trips are available to book at reception. I would highly recommend the water park for a fun day out. It is easy enough to get the public bus to Heraklion on the main road. Gouves is a lovely little town for a family holiday. It was a great holiday and would be more than happy to return. Thank you to the staff for making us feel so relaxed.

2  Thank Gemma L
Reviewed August 30, 2017 via mobile

The Kalia beach hotel Govues in Crete.
As a family of 6 adults and 1 child in the height of season in term time we were struggling to find a holiday for a week for the right price. When we came across this hotel. We were on a fairly tight budget due to the school holiday prices and could only go for 8days due to work commitments. We read the reviews and they were mainly ok. When booking the holiday we paid what was quoted only then to get a call back to say we needed to pay an extra £350 to upgrade? We had booked 3 rooms but the upgrade only covered 2? But by now we were losing the will to live so paid up. The flight was with Enter a polish air line and it was horrible the worst flight Iv ever been on. And to sit for that amount of time in the horrible seats that were so hard and uncomfortable was an endurance test for any one. It was flying at its cheapest and would never do it again. We landed and then had to wait an hour for the next plane to land to collect others flying in who where holidaying in Crete( not part of our party) how ever the little coach was comfortable and air conditioned thank God. We arrived late at night early hours and were shown to our rooms I must add 2 of the rooms where in the main hotel with reception I would strongly advise if you book this holiday hotel make sure your rooms are in this part of the complex as they are clean adequate and have great air conditioning. The other room was not so nice in fact it was awful dirty broken air con and just horrible. Two of our party unfortunately had to stay their first night in such a room. The next morning we upgraded them to the tune of £120 euros as they could not stay there another minute. Now all of us are in 3 double rooms in the main part of the hotel but in total cost an extra £470 almost the cost of what it cost per person on this holiday £570 and one of our party was a 6yr old child. So not the best start. The main pool was fine and the baby pool but I never saw it get cleaned how ever our rooms where pretty much every other day. The dinning area is very canteen style and very busy we went all inclusive this was a mistake as the food catered to mainly European tastes apart from chips no real Greek food or any English choices so we mainly had breakfast which was perfectly fine for all but busy busy with the waiters taking your plate before you'd even finished. Luckily the canteen backed into a sea view fronted restaurant Zorba's so we eat their especially for the little boy in our party. They always were helpful and accommodating and both the fellas front of house were lovely and totally understanding. We had the Isla bar restaurant and beach just across the road again lovely would highly recommend that place to eat chill and relax the best place by far in Gouves. The staff on the reception desk where always lovely and helpful and the owners own daughter works on it and she is fantastic you often see the owner around a very nice gentleman but he needs to seriously spend some money on his hotel and fix up the complex as looks tatty and worn out. The seating area around the pool needs urgent renewing and upgrading and the bar area the same. The bar staff are nice enough but strict I tried to get my grandson an ice cream and it was 1 minute past the time they stop serving ice cream so they refused him. Not cool. Seeing as we were all inclusive the bar choice was very limited. You could only have soft drinks a very basic red or white wine a local beer raki ouzo or a local brandy. I don't like any of those so would order a cocktail at £350 euro however and this is a big deal. All the alcohol was watered down. You could tell straight away so considering we really only eat breakfast and drank soft drinks maybe the odd watered down beer it wasn't worth the all inclusive price tag and for the first time I'd wished we had not gone all inclusive as your buying your food out side of the hotel and any alcohol you may want. None of us are huge drinkers but it's nice to have a decent glass of some thing and you just couldn't there. Crete is lovely but Gouves is a bit isolated no buses it has a little train but it doesn't stop so more for just seeing the local area. The beaches are nice but packed out if you want a bus and the buses are good and great value for money you got a big trek up to the top on the main road. Taxis are expensive but nice. So all in all I won't be going back to the hotel Kalia beach or Gouves but I will go back to Crete. I won't every book with late deals or fly enter air ways again. The euro is what it is so it's very expensive to go to EU countries now you don't get any bang for your buck and will be looking at non EU countries holidays in the future. I'd like to recommend the Kalia beach but I just can't. As you will be dissatisfied and disappointed. It just doesn't have enough to keep you interested and with no entertainment you will get bored unless you do what we did and went out to eat every night. I'm sorry but it's true and this is an accurate account as we are not a fussy family at all and have been on many low budget holidays and always been pleased with the food the drink the staff and the entertainment unfortunately all these things are sadly lacking. We have never had food dished up in such a canteen style way like in a school dinner queue and no or little choice of deserts mainly just water melon the best meal was breakfast and no Greek style. I hope this review helps you to make a better informed choice than we and you choose some where else.

5  Thank Jane H
Reviewed August 19, 2017

On reading the last review, it's brought back the most dreadful memories of the Kalia
Beach hotel. We were a party of 3 adults and arrived in the middle of the night. We
were marched off the property and up a road until we got to the Elenie building, shown
to a room ground floor far left. On entering, OMG. It was like a cell. Wires hanging of
the wall, 1 ceiling light, not even half a wardrobe, back window glass missing, beds
looked like they had been thrown in, not even straight. Rusty fridge and sink, and I'm
not even going there with the bathroom. The guy who checked us in left us quickly to
disappear back down the road.

I a state of shock it was decided to try and get a few hours sleep before trying to sort this mess out. I think 1 managed about 90 minutes inbetween dogs barking.

We went to reception, luckly armed with a booking confirmation printout showing details
of rooms in the newer blue building. Had to get very firm insisting that this was unacceptable and not as booked. The owner (brother) said we had been allocated the
room (cell) as we were a party of 3 adults, absolute rubbish, this is more to do with
over booking and waiting for other guests to leave. We spent our first day, hot and
extremely bothered, still packed, waiting for a room change which finally came mid
afternoon. Yes we did get what we paid for in the end, at no extra charge other than
aircon, but only due to having that printout.

A lot of this place is falling apart at the seams needing serious money spent, money being the key word. The coffee machine didn't work for 36 hours, just dispensing milky
water all because they wouldn't refill it. Just another stupid example of disrespect
to guests.

Yes I agree, the food is poor unless you wish to pay in the other restaurant. We ate
out most lunchtimes and just picked in the evenings. This is the first all inclusive I
have ever lost weight on. (over a stone).

Hardly ever saw the pool being cleaned and it certainly didn't look sparkly, so didn't
use it.

A lot of the furniture around the pool bar was broken and some of the decking was a
trip hazard.

Yes it was a cheap 2 weeks in the sun, but be prepared to eat and drink out a bit as
you will probably need to unless you want to live on salad.

This is the first time I have ever written a review like this and do understand Greece
is having a hard time, but having been to many Greek Islands, there is far better out
there.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Beverley F
Reviewed August 12, 2017 via mobile

Booked the kalia as a last resort for my husbands fiftieth birthday. On arriving in the early hours of the morning we were put in a room up a lane that all I can describe it as was a prison cell crumbling white walls with two beds a bathroom dirty rusty that you couldn't swing a cat in and an old rusty cooker with pipes everywhere. The next morning we moved to the other side of the road a little better but the hotel wanted seven euro a day for air conditioning. The third day we moved again to the newly built reception area which they wanted another hundred euro for the five days. Food haha do not take children here the food consists of boiled egg then scrambled followed by fried on a three day rotation unless you like eggs you not having breakfast. Lunch chips with some sort of whatever yiu find in the fridge thrown together with oodles of oil. Dinner same sorts of concoction fishfingers with mash and Brussels and all sorts of other delights. The manager is one of the rudest people I have ever met when we tried to talk to him about it being a special birthday and we couldn't eat the food and the drinks on offer are very scarce all we got was that England was a horrible place with bad food. All inclusive this runs from eleven till ten thirty and all you have on offer is local beer brandy raiki or oozo no choice if cocktails vodka gin if you want these you have to pay. Ice-cream is only on offer between three and five and if you fancy a ham and cheese sandwich that has sat on the bar in direct sunlight a couple of hours these are also on offer between these times. I feel for the staff whom some of are very nice. Do not waste your money going here awful is an understatement. I've added a couple of photos of the views you may have the opportunity of experiencing

Date of stay: July 2017
4  Thank Mish1405
Reviewed August 9, 2017 via mobile

I booked this hotel as a late holiday with my husband last August (2016). We wanted a relaxing break in the sun at a reasonable price & that's exactly what we got.
We stayed in an 'outbuilding' away from the main hotel (up a short lane), which was very dated & in need of some TLC, but was adequate for a weeks stay.
We found the food was always fresh and well presented - it was served to you, but you were able to ask for as much or little as you wanted. The salads were always fresh & plentiful.
We found most of the staff friendly & pleasant, particularly the hotel manager and his daughter (who worked on reception) both were always ready to help (or just have a chat).
The hotel was small and basic, but in a nice position and it offers decent food and accommodation for the money - The beach club/bar opposite is a lovely place to visit for a bit of luxury for the day. I don't think that the hotel is suitable for families with children or anyone looking for a lively hotel/holiday as very little going on in or around the hotel - best for anyone just wanting to 'chill' - shame no Gin to do it with!! We hope to return again soon.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple