See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed February 22, 2015

It had been 20 years since our last visit to Nosara. Each time we return to Costa Rica I think of going back, but we use public transportation and it’s not an easy destination. This year we decided to return and after searching the internet for a hotel that is authentic to this beautiful jungle location, I found Rancho Suizo. I am so happy that we decided to forego air conditioning and contrived luxury to spend a week in a lovely little cabin (with very good screening to keep out critters) surrounded by beautiful gardens. At Rancho Suizo we enjoyed a wonderful swimming pool and jaccuzzi, good food and ice cold beer in a lush tropic setting. Breakfast is included and we soon found that the fresh fruit and freshly squeezed juice, made-to-order eggs, ham and cheese and what I feel certain was homemade jam on fresh French bread toast made lunch unnecessary. Our hostess, Ruth, was kind and hospitable and even accommodated my odd breakfast request for diet coke, rather than her very good coffee. These gorgeous, unspoiled places will soon become memories as more and more we check into identical climate-controlled boxes where, after spending a couple hours with chins on chests texting or watching various kinds of tech screens, we will pay someone to show us what Rancho Suizo provides as part of the ambiance. If you can break out of your comfort zone for a few days and embrace an experience that is still authentic you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: All the rooms are cute
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank khouchen
Reviewed January 2, 2015

I will start off saying that I have stayed in some grungy places before and never complain because I know I get what I pay for. But the grunge is not the worst thing about this place...its the owners. It started out by being scolded by the wife for arriving at 8 PM after our flight was delayed (8 PM, really??) She warmed up a bit after we explained that there were storms in the US causing flight delays everywhere. After we checked in, we could hear her explaining this to the husband who was obviously disgruntled by it.
Now here is the kicker...After our first night and spending most of the day at the beach, we were sitting in the common area quietly chatting and drinking a beer that we had brought with us. In this common area, there is a refrigerator where guests can purchase one kind of beer, a couple types of soft drinks and water. The husband approached us belligerently saying that we could not have our own beer and that we had to buy from the fridge, also saying that "all Americans are alike." Note that there is no bartender or anything for said fridge, just a table, hammock and a fridge. We were trying to apologize and say that we did not know and that we would not do it again but he kept rambling on saying some nonsensical things about how he lived in the US and how horrible it was and how the US was making him lose his Swiss bank account (what? He is Swiss.) But when he said, "Americans are not welcome here, this hotel is for Europeans only," we knew that was it and had to go. We packed up our things immediately and left with nowhere else to go. We had to cancel many planned events because we spent the next 7 days hopping around from hotel to hotel each day (which we were lucky to find because it was peak season with everything booked.) So, if you find an inexpensive place when everything else is booked solid, you might think twice.
Also, please note that he referred to 'Americans' as not being welcomed. Does this mean Central Americans too? Where the country that he runs this hotel???
I will say that the grounds were beautiful and the path to the beach was great. Sheets were scary. Other than that, I can not say enough bad things about this place.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
21  Thank Shannon S
Reviewed December 26, 2013

The property at Rancho Suizo is vast, so well maintained and beautiful! It is situated right in the thick of the jungle, so you are surrounded by foliage and wildlife. We had so much fun walking around the lush grounds and taking in all the sites! We were served a delicious breakfast and enjoyed our time speaking with Ruth. It was great having our own 'bungalow' rather then staying at a crowded hotel. To top it off, the hosts at the hotel were kind enough to go out of their way and mail me an item I left behind weeks earlier. It's a great place!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank christina e
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I was waking up with the screems of the monkeys and the birds... you are 200 meters from the seaside and the sunset. It's isolated and you havec a Jacuzzi (cold) in the middle of the tree. Breakfast is ok and the dinner is so good ! You have a swimming pool. Very cheap for what you get. This is a great area to meet other travellers and guests and have an evening beer. it's so quiet. The only problem is to get Nosara... the bumping road for 27km...but after that you are in Paradise!

Room Tip: All the room are nice and quiet !
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

A great location with fantastic facilities. The pool was a massive plus point and a great way to start the day. Ruth and her husband are great hosts and help with suggestions for trips and with directions. There Swiss style cuisine and bar were great, especially the homemade Pasta.

Lots of very quirky interior design in the bar and communal seating area which has a good wifi and an honesty bar. This is a great area to meet other travellers and guests and have an evening beer.

Playa palada only 5 minutes work away and has some great wildlife including birds, iguanas, pelicans and many many monkeys.

Ranch Suizo is a definite must for anyone looking for a quiet beautiful and hospitable place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012