“not as good as it was”

The Orange Tree
Price range: US$9 - US$33
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Please note the business changed hands in August 2017. However The Orange Tree still offers excellent value food throughout the week.
Reviewed April 5, 2018

This was our third visit in three months. The first two were very good. The lady (heavily pregnant) on our first evening visit was superb. Food was good and drinks fast. Second visit was late afternoon and again service and food was good. This third visit was poor. We left after twenty minutes having been offered no drinks and having still not ordered any food. The menu has changed and is not as good as before. Expensive and with not as wide a choice. No kids menu and smaller portions of what is quite "fancy" food does not suit all children. We should have been asked for drinks on arrival. No interest shown when we said we were leaving. A table near the door was occupied by two men who were clearly staff - one maybe manager? - but no questions were asked about why we were leaving. I hope they get things sorted out for the better.

Dan V, Guest Relations Manager at The Orange Tree, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2018

Hi Mick

Thank you for visiting and for leaving a review.

I'm sorry that your recent visit was not as good as your previous visits and that you were not able to enjoy a meal with us on this occasion.

As you know from our previous visits, we aim for good and attentive service at all times and to make sure someone is well looked after from the moment they arrive in the door. I will make sure in future training that all of our team are aware of this.

I hope that we will see you again soon, so that you can see this third visit as a blip in our otherwise very good standards.

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

This was a great find, from the excellent guy with the bow tie taking our order to the food arriving. They didn’t rush us out either and good value so highly recommend

Dan V, Guest Relations Manager at The Orange Tree, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2018

Hi

Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to leave a review. I will make sure that your kind words are passed onto all of the team here. Including Alastair, the manager who looked after you.

I look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed March 27, 2018

The restaurant was busy, but the service was prompt and attentive. We have one vegetarian in our party who can sometimes eat fish. Having checked the menus and phoned in advance we were told there were vegetarian options and a few choices from the menu on Sundays. However the vegetarian was spaghetti with chilli and rocket, no fish available. We were offered a spaghetti dish or vegetable pie from the menu but the pie pastry was very hard. Overall the food was good but the choice very limited.Sunday is not a good time for vegetarians here. The service was friendly, the wine good and reasonably priced. Nice ambience.

1  Thank Liz_H_1391
Dan V, Guest Relations Manager at The Orange Tree, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2018

Hi Liz

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

I'm really pleased that you were well looked after and the service you received was attentive especially on a Sunday when we can be busy. I will make sure your kind words are passed onto the whole team here. We do strive to have a nice selection of vegetarian options but we did fall short on the Sunday menu recently. We will look to improve the range that we can offer as we know this is an important thing for our guests.

I hope we will see you again soon

Thanks

Reviewed March 26, 2018

The Orange Tree has had a number of owners over the last few years, and as I knew it had been taken over by a group who have another pub I've visited (The Hoops, Much Hadham) I thought I'd give it a go. Inside the decor is what you would expect from a 'gastro' pub, wood floors and furniture, cream coloured walls, minimal decor etc. All looked very nice but the leather bench seats are very tired and the leather needs replacing. Husband ordered a pint of Peroni but said straight away it tasted odd - the waitress replaced it quickly and he said it tasted much better, she blamed it on being the first pint out of the barrell. Husband ordered Beef & Stilton pie which he said was nice. I ordered the burger, and asked for it to be cooked 'well done'. When it arrived it was well presented and the chips and onion rings were perfectly cooked. However when I cut into the burger it was pink in the middle. I told the waitress and she apologised, saying she had asked for it to be well done, and took it away. When it came back the whole plate had obviously been shoved under the grill, as the burger was now cooked the way I wanted, however the chips and onion rings were now overcooked. A little disappointing. Interestingly a table nearby also sent their meal back - they had ordered a trio of pork which included a scotch egg, and I heard them say something on the plate was raw in the middle. We both ordered sticky toffee pudding for dessert which was nice. At the end we went to the bar to pay as no-one came over to ask for payment. The machine was having a hissy fit and it took 6 attempts before our card was accepted with numerous excuses being offered including the internet reception was poor, the machine was new, and the software hadn't loaded properly. As this was a meal to celebrate my birthday I did leave feeling a little disappointed and I wouldn't be inclined to return

Hi

Thank for for visiting and for leaving feedback.

I'm sorry to read about your problems and will be working with all of the team here to improve the quality of service we can offer in future. It's disappointing to read that the beer and the burger were not right first time but I'm glad that the team were able to rectify those issues pretty quickly. If only a bit more attention to detail had been paid when sorting out the burger. That is something that we can learn from and take on board next time.

Apologies for the issues with the card machines. Unfortunately as the waiter's said the internet connection out here is not particularly reliable and creates these frustrating issues beyond our control sometimes.

I hope that you change your mind and decide to return to us so we have a chance to leave you more impressed. and if not I look forward to seeing you at the Hoops Inn.

Thanks

Reviewed March 15, 2018 via mobile

Was the first time we came here since it has changed hands.
I had the beef and stilton pie and thought it was absolutely excellent. My son was more than happy with his burger.
My wife was less than happy with her sea bass, which was done in a Korean way.
I think she should have been advised that the entire fish - with its head- would be served. That really put her off.
My wife said the fish was okay - a bit bland - and i think it cost £18.
Also, she should have been advised that it would not really come with any vegetables.
I urged her to say something to the staff - who were very nice - but she would not. As a result, she had a quite expensive dish but still felt hungry.
I often eat veggie and another option or two would be great.
I would happily return as this type of place is much better than some of the nearby chain pubs but sadly my other half will not be.

Dan V, Guest Relations Manager at The Orange Tree, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2018

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

I am glad that you enjoyed the pie and the burger and that with those dishes we left a good impression of ourselves as the new owners.

I'm sorry to hear that your wife was disappointed with the sea-bass however. It's always disappointing to hear our food described as bland, especially the sea bass which was cooked and marinated to include and bring out a range of different flavours. We will reevaluate this recipe in the future and see if changes need to be made. We also pride ourselves front of house with good communication with the guests and, as you say, you should have been told that there were no vegetables included with the dish and offered some when you placed your order. I will make sure that the team communicate this kind of information to our future guests.

We will look at where we can increase vegetarian options and aim to always have at least one on the specials board too.

I hope to see you again and hope that your wife will give us a second chance.