“3rd Time Here” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver, Canada
“3rd Time Here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

We have been to the RDC 3 times, October 2010 just my wife and I, May 2011 with our 2 daughters and again in March 2012 just my wife and I.
We are already planning on going back this October.
All of the positive reviews are accurate. All of the negative reviews are a joke. If you want to find something to complain about, stay home. If you want to have a great holiday, open up your mind and do so! The only recommendation I have is try to go off season, the resort is filled with Mexican people and you get a much greater feeling of being in Mexico. Also, get off the resort! Go for a walk, explore the real Bucerius away from the tourists. Take the local bus, go on a horseback trip whatever, just experience the real Mexico.
I have been to a lot of different places and I can honestly say that going to the RDC is like going home for a visit. On both our 2nd and 3rd trips, Abel, the best bartender down there, has remembered us from our first trip and welcomed us like family that he hasn't seen in a long time! If you want or need something, ask politely, give a little tip, say thank you, try to speak a little Spanish and you will be amazed at what they will do for you!

Room Tip: Block 6 if you want quiet. Yes it is a bit of a walk to the beach but it forces you to get a little...
1 Thank Southbound4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,134)
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Before I booked this resort I carefully studied the reviews, and got a good feel for what to expect. I can say without hesitation that this was a wonderful place to stay! I have been all over the Caribbean, and this may very well be the best value for the money of any place I’ve been! We stayed here March 24-31. The guests were mainly Canadians, a lot of Mexicans, and a few Americans. Check in was quick; but I was disappointed that I requested a king size bed for my wife and I, and discovered that we had two full-size beds. I was further chagrined when I discovered my single friend next door got a king bed! We stayed in building two; central to everything, and noise was NOT a problem. The poolside activities wrapped up around 9pm, when activities transitioned to the open air theater. This resort was totally full, and you wouldn’t have known it—no lines for food and plenty of bars.

BUILDINGS: Buildings 5 and 6 are about an 8-minute walk from the beach. Personally, I wouldn’t have wanted to be there; no beach view and you can’t just “run up to your room” for something. Building 2 has a great view of the beach (try for floors 3 or 4) but beware—only building 3 has elevators. I needed the exercise anyway after eating all that food!

FOOD – I am a VERY picky eater, and I found the food to be plentiful and delicious. If you attend the nightly show (which ends at approximately 10:30pm), you can have a late meal (hamburgers, hot dogs, nachos, etc) at the Rodizio which reopens as a snack place at 11pm. We ate at three of the specialty restaurants (Brazilian, Piccolo and the Wok Wok), very good food. I agree with most of the other reviews; the resort needs a better system for reserving specialty restaurants. There’s a desk that opens at 8am, one day there was a line waiting, one day they handed out numbers, and I hear they only hand out so many tables at that time, and save some for later in the afternoon.

ROOM: The resort is older, but well-maintained. Our room was big, with a good-sized balcony. The beds had egg crates already on them and were okay to sleep on. The a/c works wonderfully, and the shower may have been one of the most powerful I’ve experienced. Housekeeping is great, and I was provided with a 2-litre bottle of water daily. I asked for hand cloths and additional water and was given both.

WIFI: N O N E! Oddly enough, this place doesn’t have Wi-Fi at all! I asked three people (including two who worked the front desk) and nobody could explain why that is. If you really need it, grab a beer at the sports bar directly across from the resort entrance; free Wi-Fi there.

ENTERTAINMENT: We went to the nightly shows and really enjoyed the energetic performances.

ACTIVITIES: Although I didn’t participate, there was something going on around the main pool all the time; from volleyball to yoga to water aerobics to water polo.

BEACH: I had 9 people in my group and we always managed to find chairs. I was pleasantly surprised that you didn’t have to get up early and grab chairs like you do on cruises and at other resorts. The water was warmer than some Caribbean beaches I’ve been. Yes, you do have a constant flow of vendors, but they’re not rude and they move on. The wind picks up around 1pm every day.

POOLS: If you want to enjoy the quiet, go to the pools at blocks 5 and 6. If you want to be around the action, stay around the main pool.

BARS: PLENTIFUL! You won’t go thirsty! I didn’t bring my really big mug because I didn’t want to look like a glutton—let me tell you; bring as big a mug as you want. I saw a lot of 7-11 tankards, and the gift shop sells a mug about two feet tall!

DISCO: Actually went there twice until 2am…lots of techno pop, music is definitely for 20-somethings, but still enjoyed it. There’s a bar there (naturally), and two pool tables.

FITNESS: There is a small fitness center with one Stairmaster, 3 cross trainers, a couple of treadmills and a nautilus-type piece of equipment. I used it twice and it sufficed.

ODDS AND ENDS: I paid $29 to take a cab from the airport (I negotiated down from $35) and $22 for the return trip. We took a van to/from Puerto Vallarta, $50 each way (but we had 9 people). Warning: I priced sunscreen in the gift shop; a $9 bottle of sunscreen (US Price) was $28 there!!! The resort has free bikes to use. It’s about a 20-minute, SAFE walk from the Resort to the small town of Bucerias. Some good shopping and plenty of free tequila samples! For our return flight we arrived at the airport 2.5 hours before takeoff. LONG line to check in, but we had plenty of time.

BOTTOM LINE: For all the talk about how unsafe Mexico is, we didn’t experience that at all—we had a great time at what is probably a 3-star Resort. I wouldn’t hesitate to come back again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Rktmaan
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed at the Royal Decameron a couple of years ago. It is the sister hotel of Decameron Los Cocos but way closer to Puerto Vallarta. It was ok, disco reeked of cigarrettes so we didn't go there much, great beach and lots of shopping comes to you via the vendor that walk to PVR and back every day. The food was pretty good, some of the dishes could have been hotter, but that's a buffet problem everywhere. We liked that we were close to Bucerias, better shopping prices that in PVR. I would go here again but we went to a fractional ownership presentation and bought!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Debi V
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Sadly this hotel did not live up to my expectations. We have been repeat visitors to the other Mexican Decameron hotel (Los Cocos) and looked forward to staying a few days at the much larger and higher rated Royal which comprises half a dozen blocks of rooms, situated in larger grounds with more choices of restaurant (if you could secure a reservation) and more bars. The buffets offered fresh, tasty food and the Mexican night was memorable. The vast majority of guests were Canadians and the bar offered a variety of televised Canadian sports. Might have been in Winnipeg were it not for the beach!

We enjoyed the hotel activities and the activities team worked hard to offer yoga on the beach, Spanish lessons, aquarobics, volleyball, dance lessons and organized games. The nightly show was spectacular… though every single word repeated in Spanish, English, French and Italian became tedious.

There were a number of wedding parties staying at the hotel and the wedding guests were particularly drunken and loud... yelling, swearing and screaming into the night. Frankly, listening to a bunch of drunken louts is not my idea of a holiday and this really spoiled our stay.

I like to be exposed to more local culture when I go on vacation. Not likely to return to Bucerias.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank AlexFamily
St. Albert, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

This was our first time at the RDC from March 24th to March 31st. The Nolitours rep was hard to spot but finally saw him outside the airport holding his sign. He asked where we were staying and then told us our bus number. We stayed in Block 6, the furthest from the beach, as requested. The room was as expected from reading all the reviews. We brought our own shampoo, conditioner, soft soap (they did have tiny soap provided), face cloths as we knew they would not be supplied. I should have brought my own hair dryer as the one supplied did not work properly. I pre-booked my tours online with Scott's Tours (he is located in Bucerias) and saved this way. Ziplining at Los Veranos Canopy was fantastic. Dolphin swim adventure at Aqua Adventuras Park (waterslides) was also great as there was a dolphin and sea lion show afterwards. Aqua adventuras park was right off the Hwy 200 as well so made it easy to get to by cab (fixed rate of 130 pesos). For those who want internet, you can use the terminals at the RDC or go to the sports bar on the corner outside the resort. We went to watch a few Oiler games, had some drinks and he gave you the password for free wifi, which I was able to use while outside the bar, at the RDC tennis court area. I looked forward to the nightly entertainment by Pool 1 at 8:00 p.m., followed by the amazing shows at 9:30 at the theater. Nolitours will tell you at orientation that if you leave something in a cab, it is gone forever and don't even try to get it back. This may be true if you catch a cab outside the resort. However, if you catch a cab at the security post on the RDC site they take your room number down and your destination. You will get your item back. Trust me, I know this to be true as it happened to us!! We took the local bus to Puerto Vallarta and walked down The Malecon. We are early risers so didn't mind lining up at 7:00 a.m. to book an A La Carte meal. All were fabulous! We also enjoyed the buffets. Water is purified so there is no fear of traveller's trots. The staff at the resort are absolutely fabulous. We felt totally safe at all times, both on and off the resort. Look forward to returning.

6 Thank Akirkhammer
Woodstock, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

This was our second time here and was just as good as the first.
Make sure you go to Bucerias it's a blast.
You can take the beach or walk down the street and over the bridge, grab a Corona at the local store 15 pesos! It'a a 2 beer walk.
We took the local bus to Saluynitas a 14 pesos each way this is where the waves are high enough to surf.
Rooms are adequate and are clean, could use a mini bar and fridge and the Tv needs to be updated to a flat screen but for the amount of time we spent in our room it was sifficient.
You have to pay for your in room safe $17usd and they still use keys not swipe cardsfor the doors.
Food is ok had better in Panama, but always found something and nobody got sick.
Bars are located well.
You have to get up early 6-7 to get a palapa on the beach,
The vendors are polite and not overbearing just be the same to them, No gracias and they move on but have them sit give them a drink you will be surprised what deals you can get.
We will return here again.

Room Tip: Block 5&6 are near the Adult pool and farther from the beach Block 3&4 are closer to the be...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Hawaiio1
Delta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed at this resort, in Bucerias, from Mar. 15 to 26, 2012. We were 4 adults and a 15 year old boy, in 2 rooms.
Transport: We took a taxi from the airport, which was less than a 30 minute ride. The fare is either 300 pesos for 1 to 3 people or 600 pesos for 4 to 6 people. The taxi ride is cheper, going back to the airport, because there's no airport fee. Some travel packages include a shuttle, but ours didn't.
This was the first time we'd stayed at an all-inclusive, so we didn't have anything to compare it with, but we were suitably impressed for the dollar value.
Grounds, Pools & Bars: The resort is very spacious, so you can either hang out at Pool 1, where all the action is, or you can find a quiter place either at the beach or at one of the other 4 pools, or at a cushioned bench in a covered open area. The staff are very friendly, and keep the grounds clean, and the pool decks swept, and the tequila barrel full (each of the 6 or 7 bars has a small wooden tequila barrel). The bars are well stocked with most of the hard liquors, and mixes, and the bartenders will make pretty much whatever combination you come up with. But, if you're a beer connoisseur, you'll have to wait until you get back home; they only serve one brand of beer, a light coloured one and a darker one, but it's cool and refreshing. There seemed to be an ample supply of lounge chairs around the pools and at the beach, even though we were there at peak season. But, as always, the more popular spots get filled up first.
If you like beach activities, there's drop-in beach volleyball, and you don't have to be a pro (even though my 15 year old son thought I was too old to play - oh how times change). There is also small catamaran that will take two people out, and some single or double kayaks which you can check out, with minimal or no wait time. Or you can just walk along the beach.
The weather was calm in the morning, until around 11am, and then stayed breezy until around 5pm. But the ocean water was quite warm all the time.
Rooms: We were with our son in a room with 2 double beds. It was quite spacious and the bathroom was reasonably large. We had a ground floor room, with a small patio and a couple of plastic deck chairs. We felt very safe at ground level. There is also a towel bar on the deck to hang anything that might be wet, in case you want to rinse or clean something. We did not see a laundry facility on the resort. But there appeared to be a couple of them within a few hundred paces of the resort. There is also no shampoo in the room. But there are two small shops on the property, and a few small shops across the road-very close by.
The room staff also cleaned the rooms every day, and were very friendly.
Food: We enjoyed the food choices at the buffets, especially during breakfast and lunch. But we also took the time to reserve for dinner at one of the 5 sit-down restaurants - it's the only real planning we had to do during our stay.
Entertainment: There are daytime activities around Pool 1, and a Sports bar showing football, baseball, soccer, hockey, and even curling, depending on what is current. There is an evening show at the Teatro (open air theatre) every evening, and they change it up every night, with a very talented troupe of dancers, and often some unwitting, participants from the audience. There's also a licensed indoor disco, which opens up after the evening show.
Give it a try. But leave a couple of rooms for us, because we're definitely going back.

Room Tip: Bldg 1 is right next to the beach and two pools, but a bit noisier. Bldg 2 & 3 are centralto eve...
4 Thank buckwheat59
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bucerias
15.5 km away
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#42 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
#8 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,108 reviews

Been to Royal Decameron Complex? Share your experiences!