1,741 results
All reviews convenient location river view business trip evening meal black pudding one night stay lovely hotel cooked breakfast an overnight stay comfy bed family room bar area motorway ribble preston blackpool
Reviewed January 25, 2016

I have friends in Preston so stopover here whenever I am in the area. This is a nice hotel, just next to the motorway (although you can't hear anything in the rooms), so very convenient to get to and away from. We are usually enroute to Manchester airport when we stay here, and find it very accessible and a good stopover point for this purpose.

The rooms are pretty standard, nothing too special, but a good size, clean and comfortable and the bathroom is good.

We had to miss breakfast last time because of an early start, but from what I remember from previous visits it is very good. Staff were very helpful and did offer to supply us with something for breakfast before we left, but we just wanted to get up and away.

Very satisfactory hotel and good value for money. I probably wouldn't stay here for more than a couple of nights, as it is a little bit out of the way if you want to explore the local area, but would highly recommend it for a stopover.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2016

I often stay here while driving from London to Glasgow as it half way, easy to find and very comfortable. Food was expensive but of a good standard, location is quiet and the bed comfortable , however the room was too hot.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed January 24, 2016

Suites in a real need of modernisation - furniture belongs in the 90's and very dusty. It's a real shame as stayed at several hotels in the chain and not a patch on the others. Service was excellent and breakfast was good but items off the menu were not available but is inexcusable

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed January 23, 2016

I booked this hotel for the 18/12/15 as we were being picked up by coach from there the next morning, for a fabulous holiday. The staff very pleasant and friendly and directed us to our room. We had a lot of luggage as we were going away for a few weeks. The room they gave us for one night was not easily accessible, we had to lug our bags down a small flight of stairs and through a damp smelly corridor below ground level to get to the lifts. Once out of the lifts we had a very long dark walk that would have challenged any cruise ship. We had several doors and corners to get round with our heavy luggage. Fortunately we had the help of our daughter in law and grandchildren on arrival. The room was pleasant enough with the usual facilities that you expect in a hotel. It was a big room so that was good. However we did not get much sleep that night, the bed was like concrete, it was honestly the most uncomfortable bed I have ever spent the night in. Next morning we got up early with no problems, not because of excitement of our pending holiday but because the bed was hurting me and also we knew that somehow we had to get our bags back from the farthest away room that the hotel could find us, down numerous corridors into the lifts back through a smelly cellar and up a flight of stairs. On the way back through the hotel, the only assistance we got was from a staff member who just happened to find us struggling at the bottom of the flight of stairs and he helped my husband to get the bags to the top. For anyone, who would like a good nights sleep or like me has a mobility issue avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't book it
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
GMTickleTrout, General Manager at Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2016

Dear Gabridale,

May I apologise that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I am very surprised that you suffered a bad nights sleep and would very much like to contact you so that I can investigate if there is an issue with the bed in the room you stayed in. All our mattresses have been recently replaced and are turned every 12 weeks.

I am sorry you were not offered assistance with your luggage as this is one of our standards. We do not have a cellar so I am a little confused about your comments and would again welcome the chance to speak with you.

My e-mail is gm.tickledtrout@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Kind regards,

Bethan

Reviewed January 23, 2016

I stayed here previously on business and decided to stay again based on my experience, what a disappointment. Although it was clean and tidy with ample parking, as you would expect for the price, the breakfast was unacceptable. Previously a hot breakfast was brought to my place and it was hot and properly cooked, this time it was different. The breakfast was a self serve buffet, all the plates were cold, therefore the food became cold, the sausages were not properly cooked and the eggs gelatinous. When I asked the Manager why he didn't know that you shouldn't serve hot food on cold plates he stated that because there was conference on they had stopped serving individual breakfasts, the buffet was obviously makeshift. Obviously they are a giving preference to the large corporate booking which they dont tell you when you book in. The Waittress was uncommunicative and the receptionists completely lacking in customer service skills. They keep you waiting staring at their computer screens before they finally acknowledge your presence. There is nothing here that better management and training wouldn't solve as the location etc is good .It needs a good shake up they are too complacent.

Room Tip: Insist on a properly cooked breakfast
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled on business