All reviews champagne afternoon tea travelzoo deal club room nespresso machine samlesbury hall swallow hotel on arrival overnight stop great shower lovely hotel family wedding evening meal function room walk in shower bar area third floor one night stay
Reviewed August 29, 2016

I treated my husband and I to an afternoon tea. We were met by a nice young lady who took us to our table. We immediately mentioned that the room felt cold so she said that she would turn the air con off. It took her quite a while to do this (by the way at that point there was only us in the restaurant). She brought the prosecco which was very nice and then a while later another young lady brought our selection of goodies to us. There was a selection of sandwiches, hot treats and cakes.These were all very nice and enjoyable. It took a while before someone came over to ask us if we would like tea or coffee. When the coffee came, it was a lukewarm cappuccino whilst my husband had a pot of tea.
The food was lovely but the service was very dis-jointed. The restaurant only had 2 more tables having afternoon tea, so the staff were not exactly rushed off their feet.
The experience could have been a lot better.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Jodi M, Area General Manager at Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2016

Dear JuliaDalton

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the service during your visit for afternoon tea your comments have been noted and will be discussed with our F&B team. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the food served, I do hope that you will visit the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed August 29, 2016

Needed to stay locally due to family function. Booked a family room, trendy check in desk so not immediately clear if you are in the correct place, a little too casual maybe? Room not bad though missing the extra bed for my daughter, back to reception.... Sorted quickly but then had to get extra towels later... Had a bar meal on the Saturday evening not bad food but thought the portion a little small for the money. Bar service a little indifferent. Clearly lacking an experienced hand here, I expect a little more 'formality' in a hotel bar and the barman (on his first night) poured my small white wine into a Champagne flute, smallest glass I guess. This type of thing should be taught prior to being let loose! Even when the more senior lad spotted it it wasn't corrected. Lounge not tidied and attended very often, had two visits there on the evening and sat at the same table, an hour later my glasses from the previous visit were still not collected, they need to work on this. Had the cooked breakfast on Saturday morning, this was very good with plenty of food available, shame no black pudding but that is my personal taste! Overall building seemed in very good order, recently refurbished by the looks of it. I would stay again but feel they should brush up on their service level throughout. There is no substitute for experience.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Mark B

Dear Mark B

Thank you for posting a review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the service in the bar, please rest assured your comments have been noted and your review will be shared with our F&B team. Pleased to read that you enjoyed breakfast and your comments regarding black pudding has been noted. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again when you are travelling in the area.

Reviewed August 28, 2016 via mobile

Having just attended the Samlesbury hotel for a function this weekend. I was left feeling rather disappointed.
The meal that we had was not for filling. The fat of lamb was actually bigger than the meat it's self, served alongside over cooked cabbage and soggy "roast potatoes". The desert was a tart the size of a mince pie and did not have much flavour at all.
I waited patiently for coffee to be poured at our table, it never came and when the staff were notified, they proceeded to tell me "I was no longer allowed coffee as there was no time and I could pour my own in the lobby" rather poor service.

The bed is like sleeping on concrete, the floor was probably more comfortable. The lighting in the room is dreadful.

The breakfast in the morning on the other hand is very nice. Although you have to eat it quite quickly or it will be stone cold, due to the aircon blowing freezing cold air directly on to the tables.

I didn't tell the receptionist all of the above and I got a very poor (and clearly not in the bit interested) "oh really, sorry about that"

I rather doubt I'll be booking in again.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank Vanessa-anne S

Dear Vanessa-anne S

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the standard of service and quality of food served during your stay . It is clear that we failed to meet the high standard that we set ourselves at Samlesbury Hotel on this occasion.

I would really appreciate it if you could contact me so I can learn more about your experience. I can be contacted on 01772 868000 and my direct e-mail is jodi@squirehotels.co.uk. I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Reviewed August 26, 2016 via mobile

My darling wife and I recently had a two night stay here in room 211 courtesy of travelzoo.
Upon our arrival, pulling up in the car park I thought I had gone back in time and that I was outside the crossroads motel! You know the TV programme from the 1970/80 era, I half expected to see Sandy Richardson in reception in his wheelchair, we had a little chuckle.
Oh well back to business, firstly the room, it was ok, nothing awful but can I just say why do the bathrooms always seem to want the grout and silicon cleaning or replacing? This is not just relevant to the salmesbury hotel either.
Also the carpet had a few stains here and there, but like I said nothing too bad, and I have stayed in worse.
The staff were very good, from the girl on reception to the dining room staff, all deserve praise.
Well I have saved the best till last and of course it is the food.
Our deal included a meal on either night, we both went for the three course option, I kid you not each course was divine, no fault could be found........ Well done chef.
The breakfasts again (buffet) were excellent varied choices all cooked well.
On an ending note, should you find yourself looking to eat somewhere else close by? Get yourself of to the Bay Horse, ten mins drive down the road, excellent reasonably priced food, nice location, friendly staff. Nuff said.

Stayed: August 2016

Dear Ken M

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and thank you for sharing your experience. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed August 25, 2016 via mobile

Cannot decide if I like the rather unconventional reception table or not! Check in was ok and then went to our room.The room was lovely and pleasantly decorated but very tiny.Didn't help that there was a bucket type chair that was too big to go under the dressing table.So access to the wardrobe was somewhat hindered.Good tea making facilities but only one small packet of biscuits between two. Bed linen and lovely soft towels and comfy bed and a superb shower and various toiletries were most acceptable.Room was spotlessly clean(apart from the large cobweb hanging from the ceiling)!
Went down for dinner and met up with friends who were also staying there. Ordered drinks from the bar and waitress brought us a menu.Had to ask for the specials menu and to ask what the soup of the day was.
Were soon shown to our table and orders taken.Only one of us opted for a starter.Waitress then brought this and instead of carrying the hot plate with a napkin she chose to pull her long sleeved blouse over her hand! We all enjoyed our food which was well presented and reasonable portions.Were then asked to sign our bill.It wasn't ours.Got that rectified.
Great selection for the buffet breakfast,again food most acceptable and lovely helpful staff.
Left shortly afterwards and went to settle the bill to find that there was an extra £36 on it.This was questioned but was ammended.
Would certainly use this hotel again,but somehow feel that some the staff are in need of a good shake up or perhaps not quite suited to the job!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear doormatAyrshire

Thank you for posting a review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay. I note your comments regarding the service in the restaurant and I will discuss your review with my F&B team. I sincerely apologise for the confusion with regard to your bill but pleased to read that it was quickly remedied. I look forward to welcoming back to Samlesbury Hotel in the future.