All reviews min walk quiet area open air cinema lovely family greek yogurt ham this family run hotel budget hotel beach front bus service air con pool bar fresh fruit rooms were spotless a wonderful stay bus stop lovely room
Reviewed June 25, 2016

Our first time staying in Kamari, the Hotel Castro is on the edge of town, but really quite close to walk to the resort centre or the beach. Both about 8-10 minutes on foot.
In all honesty we were not expecting anything great as this was a budget holiday, but what a great surprise to find that everything was spot on. That hotel is run by a lovely proud family, who take time to chat and make you feel very welcome in their home.
We had a room on the 2nd floor which had a sea view, although the sea is around 800 metres away. Our room was no. 24, so low 20's up to 25 are all quite similar views.
Everything was clean tidy and serviced daily. The pool area was spotlessly clean with carefully tended plants setting a garden feel to the bathing area. The pool bar service was very reasonably priced and run by the family between them. Lovely Greek salads and sandwiches as well as home made wine which was delicious.
At the end of our holiday Zoe was very happy to take us personally to the airport. We were blown away by the kindness and care shown towards us. A truly lovely family.
Breakfast was simple but very tasty which includes home made fig jam and goats cheese as well as deliciously thick Greek yoghurt and fresh fruit. Loved the water melon which was probably home grown too.
All in all, we loved it here and will definitely return again.

Room tip: Our room had only a shower. Not sure if they have rooms with a bath. East facing rooms on upper floor will have best chance of a sea view.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2016 via mobile

If you do not need to be staying right on the water and dont mind walking a little to get to restaurants the value of this "hotel" is very good. I put hotel in quotes because it feels like more of an extension to the home of the family that owns it than the hotels we are usually familiar with. We had to knock on the residence portion a couple of times to ask questions as there is no true reception desk nor does anyone staff a specific area throughout the day to be available to field questions other than breakfast hours. The only real drawback we had was being charged 20 euro for a towel since we accidentally stained it following an tour out to the hot springs by boat. Unfortunately the water there leaves a residue oil in your pores that you can't see so even after you shower it remains. After we showered that night and dried off my wife noticed it. When we told the mother the next day she told me she had a problem with our towel and we were going to have to pay for it and accused me of taking it away from the hotel. I explained multiple times it was after the shower but still dont think I got it through. I understand paying for it but we thought 20 euros for a used white towel was a bit excessive. No worries, no one died! It wasn't a bad stay just if you plan to stay maybe bring and use your own towels.

2  Thank Spicoli76
Reviewed June 18, 2016 via mobile

Massive thank you to you all at Castro Hotel for making our holiday so enjoyable! The family who run this place can't do enough for you including picking us up from the airport and taking us back there (€15 each way), providing us transport to restaurants out of Kamari on an evening (special thanks to Zoe for this) and recommending trips and places to see whilst visiting Santorini.
The rooms are basic but clean and have everything you need including lots of storage, fresh towels daily (no problems with these as mentioned in old reviews towels are soft, white and clean), wifi, a balcony with a view and a comfortable bed. Of course if you're looking for a luxury hotel this isn't the place to stay (you get what you pay for) but it suited us perfect.
The breakfast was very enjoyable - plenty of choice and there were lots of drink options for round the pool at the pool bar. It's only a tiny hotel so there's none of the usual fight for sun loungers round the pool and it's only a short walk to Kamari beach with all the bars, shops and restaurants. It's only a minute away from the bus stop which we used to get to Fira and Oia. There is also an open air cinema just around the corner from the hotel which I'd highly recommend on a night. Happy to answer any questions about Santorini and staying at this hotel, we have had an amazing time! Thank you hotel Castro

5  Thank vikki_lowson
Reviewed June 14, 2016

I stayed at the Castro 2 years ago and enjoyed it, but it has even improved more this year. They have built a poolside bar (which was not there when I last visited). It is basic, clean accommodation in an area far enough from the town to be away from the hustle and bustle, with a 10 minute very pleasant walk into town. I think other reviewers have advised that you should take a torch with you in the evenings because the surrounding area in places is very dark (but that adds to the excitement!). The pool area is beautiful (especially when it is lit up at night).

I would however like to make a small negative point. In the room there are the 'rules' of the hotel, which include not staining the bedding with tatoos, suntan lotion, make up etc. which will be liable for a Euro20 fine.

As far as I know, I was not guilty of this; however, there was suntan lotion residue and a little make up that came off on the towels. In this day and age when most suntan lotions are 'waterproof', it is almost impossible to remove it all in the shower. Also, I always remove my make up at night very well. But however much you remove it, there will always be a little remaining 'residue' which will come off on a white towel.

So on the third day of my holiday, the maid had put the 'notice' in the middle of my bed, obviously relaying a 'message', had taken away my dirty towels which were not replaced that day. I did feel this was a little unfair but didn't say anything. And for the rest of the holiday, I did not use the bath towel that was replaced the next day - I just used my beach towel. After that, I was cautious of using the hand towel as well - and sorry, but I was unable to avoid a little sun tan lotion staining.

I would rather be charged a bit more for the room, and be able to use the towels freely without reprimand!

And by the way, all of my clothes have the same suntan lotion staining, which easily comes out in the wash.

I was reluctant to put this negative point, but it did somewhat spoil my stay.

Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank PimkieEssex
Reviewed September 25, 2015 via mobile

Visited Casto Hotel for a week. This hotel is a classic family run place. The staff are polite and helpful. It may be basic, but you're getting exactly what you pay for. It's a 5-10 min walk into kamari itself.
The rooms were nice and clean, beds were made every day, towels changed every couple of days.
Also the pool is quite nice.

Date of stay: August 2015