“Humm, look at Coolangatta instead. Poor management- Overcharging!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pavilions Palm Beach

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Palm Beach
Pavilions Palm Beach
Auckland
“Humm, look at Coolangatta instead. Poor management- Overcharging!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2011

Stayed here from Xmas to early Jan- 2 weeks.
We had come from staying at Coolangatta. What a disappointment palm beach was. The apartment block is not close enough to the beach. The views not good enough and there is an expensive and long bus trip to get any where decent for shopping, dining or even to Surfers. The BEST place for dining at Palm Beach was the 'THE TANDOORI PLACE' - awesome Indian food and lovely people. But thats it really. Now the apartment- yes it is new so it is clean and tidy and the beds are comfortable. BUT the kitchen had this tiny round sink shoved into a tight corner which made it really hard to use. A really bad design fault. The Big ISSUE with this department we felt was being a 2 bedroom appt, we assumed it would have 2 TVs like most 2 bed appts do- it only had one and management did not care. So this was really disappointing as kids want to watch different programmes to parents. The final insult was that we were OVERCHARGED, we paid a deposit through out NZ bank into their AU bank acc. We accepted that we would be charged for this service from OUR bank. But THEIR bank also charged a huge fee to the Pavillions which they then charged us. We contacted our bank and was told it was their banks charge and we should not have to pay twice as we had already paid our fee. So a $200 deposit ended up costing $300 for us. I asked the management to refund us THEIR bank fees, but they would not and I think this is unacceptable and bad business practice. Also bad management as they NEVER responded to our request. I recommend staying at Coolangatta or if you really want Palm beach, somewhere ON the beach, not here.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank PatriciaAuckland

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

We booked a 2 bedroom unit for a weekend stay and it was very small for a family with 3 kids. We were told it was a brand new unit and we were the first occupants. (I promptly told my children to be especially careful!!!) Generally clean and tidy complex with nice pool area. Handy with supermarket and shops downstairs.

On the Sunday morning whilst packing to vacate, I noticed there was no toilet roll holder in the childrens bathroom. I checked in the cupboard etc and nothing! I asked the kids and they said there wasn't one so I just assumed it was missed by the builders. On checking out I advised the lady on reception ( I even noted her name at the time) that the toilet roll holder was missing as I felt they would need to follow up with builder to get him to finish off the apaprtment. She acknowledged the issue and apparently made a note of it.

Well, about 3 days later I receive an abrupt call from the male manager who accused me of stealing the toilet roll holder!!!!! He rudely told me that it was a brand new unit and we were the only people who had stayed there so we must have stolen it. Very rude and very arrogant!!! I promptly told him I advised the lady in reception on Sunday morning and if she was doing her job properly it would be noted somewhere.

He continued on about it and eventually backed down. What a rude, arrogant man!!!

We will definately never stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank SAP33

Travellers are raving about these Palm Beach hotels

Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2010

My husband & I booked a 2 bedroom ocean view apartment for 2 nights over the new year period 2010 to be enjoyed with 2 friends visiting from north queensland through Wotif. We booked in early October 2010 so we would not miss out. We had printed confirmation when we arrived to check in.

First impressions were ok, with the receptionist reasonably friendly. Before signing the check in form, my husband double checked that the room we booked was a ocean view room but we were told that it wasn't (even though we paid the extra cost to have an ocean view 3 months prior). We were told that there were no other room available and the best she could do would be to move us from the booked room which was hinterland view to a pool view room and the following day then move us again to an ocean view room when it became available. The receptionist also made comment that it was the fault of Wotif and not them for the incorrect room allocation. I then asked then why they had their rooms advertised through third party accommodation sites.

We thought because we had already arrived there with all our luggage that the pool view would have to do for the night. When we arrived at our "pool view" room, all we saw was a concrete courtyard and fence. The room was on the bottom floor and was no where near the pool. We then contacted reception and decided that we would stick with our hinterland view room we were originally allocated.

The hinterland room was slightly better, basically looking at the side street and houses. We were not happy as we had not been given what we paid for but thought we could only make the best of a bad situation. We were told that the cleaners would clean the vacated 2 bedroom ocean view the next morning first up and we could then move to that room. We were also told that she would talk to the manager about possibly reducing the tariff for the 1st night as the room we were in was not what we had booked and paid for. After making the most of good company for NYE we went to bed hot & sweaty as there is no air conditioning in the bedrooms, only ceiling fans. Couldn't believe that for a new 4 star self rated apartment complex that they didn't have ducted air conditioning.

The next morning we walked to the surf club and had breakfast and while there got a call from the receptionist advising that the 2 bedroom ocean view room had been vacated (this was at 11am) and was going to be cleaned so we would be able to be in there by around 12pm. Again we couldn't do much about it but asked about the reduced tariff. We were told that she would still have to ask about that.

By 12pm the 2 bedroom ocean view room was still not ready and my husband had a rather heated discussion with the receptionist and we ended up walking down to the reception area to discuss this matter further with the manager, Barry. We arrived in reception and was basically bombarded by the manager Barry who was really quite aggressive and made us feel as though we were the ones who had done the wrong thing. My husband tried to explain the situation and was told "I know the story and if you weren't happy you didn't have to stay, you could have gotten a refund", even though the receptionist told us when checking in that because we booked through a third party, we could not get a refund. Long story short, there was no apology for the stuff up, no compensation whatsoever and we were told we could have a refund for the difference in the ocean view room tariff and the hinterland room tariff for the 1st night and a refund for the accommodation for the 2nd night and told "pack your stuff and get out".

We were absolutely gobsmacked as to the arrogance and aggression from the so called manager Barry who should be taught the very basics of customer service. All we wanted was what we paid for and if we couldn't get that, a refund for what we paid for and didn't get. Needless to say we took the cheque he offered, packed our bags and went home....a what was supposed to be relaxing weekend catching up with old friends had been completely ruined.

My husband, friends and I have stayed in 5 star hotels all over Australia and also some very exclusive resorts and we have never been spoken to in that fashion anywhere. Anyone thinking of staying there needs to be aware of the rudeness and arrogance of the staff. We will not be returning and will be advising friends, family and colleagues not to stay there either.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
9 Thank JT01012011
Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights in early October 2010 and found it to be great value for money. We have stayed in hotels all around the world (usually 4 to 5 star) & this is almost 5 star. It was clean throughout and very quiet - no noisy neighbours. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. Brand new appliances. The pool area and BBQ facilities were excellent. The reception staff were extremely helpful and gave good tourist info. The only negative was that the rooms are not serviced daily.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family