“Complaints about Casita section 30”

El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #27 of 386 Hotels in Riviera Maya
GreenLeadersGold level
HartfordCt
“Complaints about Casita section 30”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Now that I have your attention - there were NO complaints. We stayed from 1/25/12 - 2/4/12 in room 3006 and absolutly loved it. After staying at Secrets Maroma last year and many other nice places over the last 20 years we would rate this place above any other. This is going to be a long review but I will try to break it up into sections.

Rooms and layout of Casita sections - All of the non-member rooms have the same layout and the same ammenities. Sec. 2500, 2600 and 2700 are all basic casitas both up and down with 1 level individual casitas on both ends. In all ground level casitas and individual casitas you have a little less privacy then you do on the second floor (this applies to all sec.) These 3 sections do not have a lazy river or any swim outs but all have been updated with I pod stations and a flat screen tv's.In my opinion none of these units have a good ocean view but they are the units closest to the main section of the Royale. Sec. 2800, 2900 and 3000 have the lazy river with swimouts on the bottom and basic casitas on top. Sec, 29 and 30 have individual casitas on both ends and sec 30 has presidential suites on both ends. The best views from these 3 sections come from the 2 second floor units on both ends of the horseshoe. We were in unit 3006 with unit 3005 on the very end and we had a great ocean view and view from above onto the presidential suite pool. Sec. 3100 and 3200 have swim out units on the bottom and infinity pools on the second floor. 3100 is open to anyone and 3200 is members only. Most of the second floor units in these 2 sections have good views because they are new and the vegetation has not grown to full height.
Suggestions - All sections have swim up pool bars so don't be concerned about getting drinks :-) If you want to be close to main hotel go 25-27 - If you want lazy river (this connects all swim outs to pool bar) go to 28-31 - If you want infinity pool go to 31. We stayed in 3006, a 2nd flr basic casita and would not have swapped it for any other room and we looked at a lot of rooms thanks to our concierge extraordinaire, Allen. Swim out was not important to us but view was and it was awesome.

Food - What I call goumet is when I go to a fancy restaurant and spend $200+ on meal, drinks and a tip. That being said did I have any gourmet meals here. No but close. Did I have some of the best meals I have had in Mexico? Yes. We stayed at Secrets Maroma last year, Secrets Capri a few years ago and The Royal Playa del Carmen 2 times and overall this was by far the best food and service we have had at any all inclusive. What I call gormet meal on vacation is I sit down and have spicy chicken wrap at gormet corner or a great meal at Kampai and when I get up I say WOW that was great. Out of 30 meals we had in 11 days I would say that 25 were WOW and 5 were OK.
Suggestions - Breakfast, Kampai you can not go wrong we ate here 8 of 10 mornings, this is sit down and is great. Cocotal 2 times and this is the fastest omelet line you will ever see, great buffet. Lunch, How can you eat this much? Kampai very good, Hamburg cart just OK, Las Olas (sec. 31) Wow spicy chicken wrap and do your warm up with the guacamole salsa and chips. The waiter said no calories in the guacamole so we usually got 2 servings. I gained 5 pounds but the waiter wouldn't lie to me would he? Dinner, Kampai again great, D'Italia Casita 3 of 4 great. Tip - Get in the section that Carlos is serving (even if you have to wait) he is worth waiting for and ask him for tips on what is good that night, if you follow his lead you will be very happy, La Isla very good ask for fondue menu and get the cheese with bread to dip. Sorry I can not tell you about the other restaurants because eating 3 times a day was already too much.

Drinks - At this point in this review I need one. If the drinks are not strong enough the 2nd time you order that is your fault because you did not tell them extra whatever after the first one.
Suggestion - Jack Daniels on the rocks and don't give me too many rocks worked just fine for me. The best beach drink we had was a Malibu punch, It had Malibu coconut rum settled on the bottom and on top I think it was oj, pineapple juice and cranberry. Go to sec 31 bar they know how to make it. Wine, I am afraid that the fine wine drinkers are going to have more whine here then they want. We drank a couple glasses of house wine and the best you could say is that they were OK. We did not buy any wine because they seemed very pricey.

Beach - This is the weak spot of the resort and if beach is important you have already moved on. In my opinion the beach was fine and the great part was that the volleyball net was high and tight (come on you knew I was going here at some point) and sand good to play on. V-ball every day at 11am and 4pm and we had some great games and some ok games but bottom line it was beach volleyball. Also on the beach you meet Karelya (Kerry) who is from the entertainment or some other section. She is the cuttest and sweetest girl on the beach. If she says do you want to play v-ball with me and be careful because I am only a girl, you better bring your A game.

Helpful Info - If you have trouble getting in touch with people at the hotel before you go here are 3 e-mails that will help - jcvazquez@eldoradocasitasroyale.com.mx for Jose Carlos Vasquez Casita Mgr - fjorge@eldoradoroyale.com.mx for Francisco Jorge Gen Mgr Royale - acumming@eldoradoroyale.com.mx for Andrew Cumming Residential Mgr Royale.
Bring along a small flashlight for restaurants and stairs to room.
ANY and I do mean any issue or question you have with your room and/or stay go to your concierge and it will be fixed, If they don't know about it they can't fix it.
You are going to be eating and drinking more and different then you do back home, bring some pepto type product, you may not need it, but if you do!

Unhappy guests - The person who wrote the review on 1/30/12 if they had gone to the concierge would have had the questions fixed or explained and they had not even given the resort a chance to fix them, they were still there. A great resort never has no problems but is a great resort when you tell them of a problem and they fix it. This place will.

Concierge - You may have caught a hint is this review that I thought the concierges were great, they were. If you can get into sec.30 then go for it because the concierges are Allen, Fransico and Leisy (Lacy) and they are the best of the best. In fact they are so good that if you were to ask Allen to stand on his head outside your room in the morning he would do it. Allen you didn't think you would escape my helpful hints did you
To Allen, Fransico and Leisy thank you very much for making this a very special time for us.

41 Thank volleyball-Jim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,823)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Northern Virginia
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We stayed for 11 days in October for our honeymoon, in Casitas section, room 3130. Like most people, we had high expectations after booking this trip. The reviews were excellent, it is not cheap, and it is all-inclusive. As we drove onto the property and up to the main lobby, it looked like we were in for a treat. The grounds were beautiful and the lobby was nicely appointed. My expectation was a beautiful, comfortable resort, with good food, and amenities that just "work" without you prodding for service. Overall though, we were disappointed and will not return here.

Pros:
- Room was a good size. Closet space was adequate for our above average amount of luggage. We packed enough for 11 days including excursions and nicer clothes for dinner. In-room safe was large enough to store an iPad, two wallets, cell phones, important papers and jewelry.
- Outdoor patio with bed and table offered a decent amount of privacy.
- Swim up plunge pool was nice.
- Bed was pretty comfortable.
- Housekeeping and the turndown service guy in particular were good.
- Bartender at Casitas 31 was personable and quick to serve you.
- Overall, the service at the restaurants was good. There were only a few times we really felt neglected. Although some may argue that shouldn't happen at all at a resort like this.
- Room service was pretty quick to deliver.
- Adults only.
- Quiet for the most part. I don't expect silence, but we didn't expect this place to resemble Spring Break, and it didn't.
- Top shelf booze is available at the right bar. They will give you well spirits unless you ask. I found the swim up bar did have Ketel One, Bombay Sapphire, and Bacardi if you instruct them to use it for your drink. Better stuff was available at the Martini Bar and at the bar above the Italian Casitas restaurant. All the Glenlivet you can drink if that is your thing.
- Again the grounds were well kept. Iguanas are cool to see around, along with some small lizards.
- Beach was good enough for me. In the Casitas section it was nice to lay on the bed or chair and look out at the ocean. The barriers to try and keep beach erosion to a minimum didn't bother me.
- Outdoor shower was neat. Water pressure was a bit out of control (like a pressure washer), but it was private. No worry about peeping Toms where we were.
- Spa was nice. We had two couples massages, one inside and one on the beach. The "water journey" was a nice way to start.
- Location: Pretty good. Probably a good balance between the airport and places like Playa del Carmen and Tulum where you may want to head for excursions.

Cons:
- Food. "Gourmet"? I guess it depends on what you define as gourmet. Unfortunately at an all-inclusive resort like this, the food can really make or break the experience. My wife and I asked ourselves if we would ever come back and buy any of the food we ate at any of the restaurants, and the answer was no. We ate at basically every restaurant and they were all average at best. Food was not often cooked well and was bland. Quality of products was not there. The worst was a "strip steak" I had one night at Cocotal that was about as thin as a flank stank, overcooked, and came with what appeared to be instant mashed potatoes on the side. You might be able to find a better steak dinner under the "Hungry Man" label in your grocer's freezer. Even our beach front, wedding vow renewal dinner was not great. Again, the quality of food is more Denny's than Morton's (just to pick a chain), and I would expect closer to Morton's for a truly gourmet experience.

All of the "ethnic" restaurants appear to be geared towards people who have never had the real thing. In our case, DC and its suburbs feature a wide variety of ethnic food. The most disappointing had to be that there was no "real" Mexican food to be had on the property. Fuentes is nothing more than an Americanized version of Mexican. If we wanted Mexican, we apparently were better off driving 10 minutes down the street from our home in Virginia.

If there was a best part of the food, it was probably the breakfast at Cocotal and the desserts were generally good. Evening coffee was good, and much better than the breakfast coffee.

Oh, and you can not worry about that whole "dress code" thing they put on their website. Plenty of people were in t-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops at dinner. I shouldn't have bothered packing extra pants for dinner.

Room service was average quality, and the menu never changed the entire time we were there.

- Room: Unfortunately we had rain for a few days while we were at the resort. This exposed some trouble spots in our room. Our room became incredibly damp and we were informed that the "newer" a/c units could take care of that, but we were lucky enough to not have that kind of unit. He couldn't do anything else for us. I understand these places aren't built to hang out in the room all day, but they should ensure a level of comfort for days where it does rain. Looking at the ceiling, I could also see black mold on the white surface where there is apparently a leak.

The TV could apparently be controlled by your neighbor, so our's was constantly changing the channel or the volume after we changed it. No, we didn't go there to watch TV, but it was annoying and other hotels don't have that problem. We also had to prod the concierge to get our mini-fridge restocked. The mini-fridge itself was not cold enough to really keep beers, soda, or juice cold.

One other tip: There will be flowers and fruit in the room when you arrive. Get them out of there ASAP unless you enjoy gnats as roommates the entire time you are there.

- The Golf Carts: The resort is large, so there is a system of golf carts and "stops" along the way. To walk from our Casitas to the lobby took a good 15 minutes. They are supposed to appear every 15 minutes, at a minimum. For whatever reason, when it did rain (and you would want a lift the most), these golf carts disappeared. There were several days where we were unable to get any ride. If it was nice the whole time, this wouldn't have been a big deal, but it did just point to the somewhat lacking level of service.

- Concierge: We were disappointed in our concierge. He wasn't all that helpful and often seemed a bit annoyed that we were stopping in to ask a question. I would hardly say we "overused" him. We might have contacted him 8 times the whole stay and half of them were dinner reservations. When we had other issues like the golf carts, I didn't even think it was worth mentioning to this guy. Just not a good attitude for someone who is supposed to be your right hand for a great stay.

- Drinks: The resort pushes this "DuBois" champagne (Made in Mexico) in front of you where ever you go. Check-in, at the spa, and in the mimosas at breakfast. If you have ever had Korbel (never mind anything better), you will probably find this to be swill. I know they won't be giving away Moet at every turn, but this stuff was bad. I never thought I would turn down free bubbly, but I gave away a free bottle of it to folks passing by. Same with the house wine. They really want you to buy bottle of wine.

As you can tell, the biggest downfall of this place is the food. I'm no "foodie" who thinks they work for Zagat, but it just wasn't very good. If all you want to do is drink and sit on the beach, this is probably great. If you are looking for a "gourmet" food experience, I don't think you'll find it here.

Room Tip: The 31 Casitas had a nice bar and pool, but room 3130 did have black mold from what appeared to be a...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Matt S
Prince Edward Island, Canada
Reviewed 9 February 2012

this review is long overdue but well deserved-My husband and I stayed in one of the infinity pool casitas, room 3119 in April 2010 for one week and we plan to go back again in the future. This was our 4th time to Mexico, we have been to Secrets Silversands and The Royal in Cancun and Bahia Principe Tulum as well as Sandals in Jamaica. This resort was so beautiful, clean and our casita section had its own grill right by the pool which was a big plus. The casita section has amazing lounge chairs by the pools with extra plush towels and the Casita Spa was fairly new when we visited and the gym was really nice, one of the better gyms we have used at resorts. This resort was beautifully landscaped, lots of gorgeous flowers and trees all around. Our room was cleaned twice daily, mini bar always stocked. No service issues at all. Food at the Italian restaurant was especially great-try the seafood lasagna!
This resort has two sections and overall its a huge resort, lots of walking but there are the carts too to bring you around if you prefer. Watch out for them at night though, they are quiet and sneak up on you. We loved the outdoor shower and jacuzzi but really enjoyed our own pool on our deck the most, we used it twice a day and watched sunsets from there. The beach is a 1 min walk away and always kept clean and tidy.
Casitas are worth the extra money....We hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank toesinthesand4ever
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 February 2012

My husband and I had the most wonderful time at El Dorado Casitas and seriously haven't been able to stop talking about it. It's just so relaxed and beautiful... you can go at whatever pace you want but why rush? Our casita was a swim up in the 30's section and our concierges Alan and Leisi were so unbelievable to us... they spent an hour with us talking about what to do, where to go... they booked our dinner reservations... our couples spa on the beach, and helped coordinate our excursion to COBA. it was unbelievable. I literally stopped by and talked to them every day (they were right by our casita) and they were just so sweet and accommodating. I left like Leisi became my friend by the end! I would wake up every morning at like 7am while my husband was still sleeping and sneak out with my cup of coffee to the beach bed just 30 feet from our room and watch the waves crash. And then I would go for a run around the gorgeous outside property... and be back to get dressed and have an amazing breakfast. I work in the hospitality business and I must say that we were pretty impressed with the food. Breakfast was amazing at all the locations. And lunch and dinner were also super impressive. We loved Joe Joes and the little taco and burger huts. And Kampai and the our own italian restaurant in the Casitas section was AMAZING. We literally can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Definitely stay at a Casitas swim up or plunge pool if you can. We love section 30!
6 Thank Tatiana C
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 5 February 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a week at the Casitas and our overall conclusion is "Ho, hum." We have traveled a great deal and have stayed at other A-I places; we would rank this below all the other A-Is, although it was not nearly as terrible as some other reviewers have made it sound. First, the pros:

The service throughout our stay was exceptionally good. From maid service that included whimsical towel sculptures (plus the more important things like making sure the baths were properly cleaned and supplied and a well-made bed) to the waiters in the restaurants and on the beach, to the cart drivers and the spa personnel, we did not encounter one rude or unfriendly person during our entire stay. The concierge system works wonderfully and we were never disappointed with the suggestions Leisy, Frederico or Allen made about dinner locations and other services. We had a same great service from Lomas Travel which provided transportation to and from the airport in Cancun and a tour to the archeological site at Tulum. (Muchas gracias, Ricky!)

The Casitas themselves were beautiful and nicely decorated in a tropical motif without looking as if they were transported from Miami. We had a second floor room which might be difficult for some visitors since the stairs seemed rather steep. Others have commented on the bed, tubs, outdoor showers, etc -- we thought the bed was extremely comfortable and loved the outdoor shower. For those who must have a view of the ocean, you may be disappointed because our view was largely obscured by palm trees.

We had overcast and rainy weather during our entire stay, but the pool and hottub at the Casitas were nice and the beach chairs and beds were comfortable. The beach butler service was good and not obtrusive -- he even had a selection of books to choose from!

The extensive grounds are well kept and nicely landscaped. The cart service is great and comes much more frequently than the advertised 20 minute intervals. We also liked the fact that the resort is all adult. The spa services were wonderful -- we had a 55 minute couples full body massage and it was no more pricey than the same service in the US (as least in our experience.)

The cons:

We would never call the food at any of the restaurants "gourmet." We were disappointed in our first meal at D'Italia Casitas (overcooked fish, undercooked ossobucco), but went back for a second meal and had better experiences. Kampei was the best restaurant for dinner with a nice but limited sushi selection, a great chicken curry, and other dishes that were both interesting and tasty, but by no means gourmet. Cocotal was our least favorite and my husband had a miserable day following our evening meal there. I thought it was impossible to ruin spinach ravioli, but am not exaggerating when I say that the sauce on the ravioli was something very close to lemon meringue pie filling. La Isla was so-so (can't even remember what we ate.) We did not eat dinner at JoJos but had two routine lunches there -- again, nothing memorably good or bad, except they offer wonderful guacamole. Fuentes has a great buffet for breakfast with loads of fresh fruit and eggs to order plus everything else you would want for breakfast, including a small selection of Mexican foods. It is at the far southern end of the resort and if you are staying in the Casitas, you get to work up an appetite on the way there and work off the calories on the way back. Overall, we would describe the food as routine. Not really bad, but nothing outstanding either.

On the other hand, the wine included in the all inclusive package was simply bad, bad, bad. We drink wine with dinner every evening at home, mostly in the $10-$15 US range, meaning good but nothing spectacular. We have had just as good wines (if not better) at other inclusives, e.g., the Grand Lido in Negril Jamaica. We could not find ONE of the wines offered that was drinkable. The best was the tempranillo and that took some getting used to. The list of wines available for purchase is the same in all the restaurants despite different types of cuisine and seems to be outrageously overpriced. (I say "seems to be" because I have no idea what taxes and duties might be imposed by the Mexican government, so the prices may not be entirely the fault of the resort.) We ended up drinking lots of Campari and soda! We are not keen on fruity mixed drinks, but others we talked to said they were good, although light on the liquor.

Two negative comments about the room itself. First, there is no place comfortable to sit in the room or on the balcony. We probably spent more time in the room than most people because of the repeated rain showers and ended up sitting/lying on the bed to read or watch television because the only chairs are dining chairs or armchairs on the balcony without any cushioning at all. Second, getting in and out of the bathtub/shower was a challenge. We are both in good physical condition for our age, but there is a ledge about 8 to 10 inches wide outside the tub over which you have to step when getting in or out -- there is no bar to hold on to when stepping on to the polished marble floor. But, as noted above the outside shower was delightful and didn't present this problem.

As many other people have commented, this is not the place to go if you must have a beautiful tropical beach -- the sandbags are not attractive, even though they are apparently serving a necessary purpose. The waves going across them do, however, create wonderful background noise for falling asleep!

In sum, it wasn't the best or the worst of vacations. We will probably not be going back there -- too many other places to see!

4 Thank carebearPittsburgh
Milton, Canada
Reviewed 3 February 2012

i just returned from EDR yesterday. Mexico from the START was amazing! upon arriving, we were greeted with a friendly customs agent? didnt think that would happen. let me start off by saying that Mexico was MUCH better than we expected. YES, there were a few cons. just read recent review from someone that was there at the same time. valid points - no public washrooms in casitas section, beach towels in rooms only, etc... calm down with such petty complaints. i LOVED LOVED LOVED this place. why? i could NOT believe the increadible service. these people are here to serve you like a king or queen. our first morning there, i thought i could get a beach towel near the beach so i randomly asked one of the "property maids" if she had any towels with her. she said no she didnt... no problem, just thought i'd ask! 10 min later she is coming towards me with 2 beach towels. me forgetting to bring towels was not her problem, and she made it her problem to fix. INCREADIBLE 1st impression (i really wish i got her name)! my FAV part about this place, was the staff! its an amazing feeling to be in an environment where everyone treats you like royalty.

here are my notes, you decide if they are pros or cons - this resort is HUGE, fun to walk around as something to do. not so fun when you are starving! all restaurants are a la carte (with the exception of breakfast). very very good food!!! (pls dont compare to a fancy restuarant in NYC or LA thats just ridiculous). service at restaurants was amazing - servers are well trained and SUPER friendly. our maid was not so good, but my sisters was amazing - hope you get a good one. portions of food will look smaller than you are use to - eat it, you will realize when you are done that it was just the right amount. if you are full, order something else its all inclusive. it was not as busy while we were there - woo hoo! our last day there the hotel filled up and we had to wait 15 min to get a table at la isla for lunch. shuttles always came by more often than their so called "20 min" wait times. i think they actually came every 10! if you are a beach person, then this may not be the place for you. we are HUGE beach people but made the most of it. we swam around the sand bags and rocks. casitas section is SUPER private if this is what you are looking for.

i fell in love with resort because of the people! i was scared to go to mexico because of all the bad press it gets in canada. we had a safe and wonderful vacation and mexico is now my fav vacation spot! have fun and enjoy these wonderful resort!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank Rachelle F
madeira
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We had previously stayed at the El Dorado Royale a couple of years ago and always said if we went back it would have to be at the Casitas - which we booked this time.

Only had a week this time and our only real complaint is that we wish it was 2 weeks like last time.

On arrival we were taken straight to the Casitas reception and checked in quickly and then to the room which was definitely a big upgrade on the rooms in the non Casita part of the hotel.

One of the best bits for us about being in the Casitas is that you don´t have to race to get a sunbed in the morning! In the Casitas area the sunbeds on the beach and around all of the pools are for those staying in the Casitas part of the hotel. The hotel do need to look at how they control this though as this was often overlooked and people were using the beds at the beach and around the pools from the other part of the hotel. For example, we did see one day a group of guests from the non Casitas part of the hotel at one of the pools in the Casitas area and the way one of the concierge dealt with this was to change over their towels to Casita ones to allow them to stay in the Casitas pool area. Unfortunately, they had also brought with them to a nice quiet pool their own sound system - even though the pool guy had put on his own background music. If you are booking Casitas at a considerable extra cost then you expect this to be for Casitas guests.

The restaurants are excellent at the hotel, our favourites were:
Kampai where we ate breakfast every day, lunch was good and at dinner it was probably one of the most popular restaurants and they had a few sushi plates which were good.

Casitas Italian - we ate here a couple of nights and the food, atmosphere and service were really good.

Cocotal - this was the international restaurant with a good menu for dinner.

La Isla - great for lunch good choice of buffet dishes and also they had good dishes from the menu.

Jo Jo´s - we ate one evening at Jo Jo´s and the meal was really good - we were more impressed with it this time than we were the last time we stayed at the hotel.

Gourmet corner - this was nice for lunch and situated in the Casitas area - really liked the smoked salmon pitta and beef wrap.

While we were there the Mexican corner was closed as was the Fondue restaurant - we had been to the Fondue one during our previous stay and as we were only here for week it wasn´t a problem.

Great new addition was the Belini Bar which was really nice and above the Casitas Italian restaurant.

The bar opposite Kampai was great - bar tenders really good, Ceasar was the main person at the bar during our stay.

There was also a Martini Bar which is just off of the main reception area - overall it was good, however I was put off by getting an Amaretto which was definitely not the original drink -although it was poured from a Di Saronno bottle.

It would be good if they had better quality house wines on the AI package, for instance when we were in Paradisus Rio D Oro last year the house wine was better and you could also upgrade for a small supplement - from $10.00 which we did most evenings. The prices for the upgrade of wines here its unlikely many people would do as its pretty pricey.

Would be nice if the hotel had a reward or recognition scheme - it was our 4th stay at a Karisma hotel and other chains we have stayed at have had, which helps keep people loyal to the group.

Overall we had a brilliant holiday and would definitely return - we have tried a couple of the other Karisma hotels and have always been impressed.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple